Tens of thousands of civilians flee in east Congo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

I'm hardly a fan of Kabila but it's hard to see how he could control the FLDR even if he really desired to. The state is a fiction in eastern Congo. They can't even transfer their troops there without outside help.
    He could refrain from siding with FLDR. If they have no legitimate base, their supply lines and other support will dry out eventually.

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
    Why should we care these people can't move beyond their petty tribal struggles to do something productive? It's up to the Congolese people to forge their own destiny and build their own nation. Foreign humanitarian intervention does not work in Africa.
    That's very cynical. I'm not a proponent of humanitarian intervention in particular, but this warrants a UN intervention to protect civilians. Remember that a number of civilians have expressed anger towards retreating UN forces because they failed to protect them. Nkunda or any other party will not attempt to attack a well armed UN force that protects civilians because they'll lose. The troops are ill-disciplined, often child soldiers even and rely on intimidation and quick and brutal assaults. And Congolese state troops aren't much better either.

Left alone they won't build a nation. You seem to forget that Congo is a huge country with many ethnic and linguistic entities. It's one nation because that asshat Leopold II wanted to carve out his private colony out there in Africa. It's very much like the Middle-East, where the British and French created countries with their own interests in mind (cf. Sykes-Picot agreement), but didn't foresee the consequences it would entail later on. That's a bit besides the point, but all I'm saying is the west left Africa in ruins, and if there's at least something we could do back, then a little bit of conflict management wouldn't hurt in my opinion.

I'm not even saying the UN should take sides. It should simply provide a buffer in order to prevent more brutalities for the time being. What else is the UN and its forces for anyway: exactly this kind of operation.
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Traianvs:
      I read your post several times... I myself would right something close
      a lot of years ago.
      Sadly, it will come nothing good from it. Africa is a tribal continental.
      Only our Europe is more tribal. Ah, but here the tribes are called
      Nations. Why are Belgique or Portugal, countries? Well, could have
      been different. But it happened this way.
      But there is one decisive difference: it was done from the inside to the
      outside. That was the past, so is the present; and this "stronghold"
      opened the door to our future, as neither you feared my red wine,nor
      me feared your chocolate.
      Obviously, it took time,takes time, shall take time. And there is always
      a price to be paid.
      There are no shortcuts. Just let Africans walk their own way.
      Best regards,

Comment

Goma has got to be one of the worst places in the world to live. Caught between rebels on one hand, and an active volcano on the other, and by a lake that is so saturated with CO2 that it could pop like a shaken soda bottle given a significant disturbance and fill the area with enough CO2 to kill every animal.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Have the USAF conduct carpet bombing. Done deal. Get those starving-ass pirates while they're there.

The US way

I hope you were joking though...
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

What's wrong with giving them carpets?

Comment

The they would need vacuum cleaners, and electricity.
              Maybe all tile?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

There's no oil over there though to call for intervention.

Remember, economic interests are far more important and take greater priority than human rights.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Welcome to all of human history, MrFun.

Comment

sigh
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

There are plenty of other mineral resources in the Congo worth killing some dark skinned people over. And in the end, isn't that what America is all about?
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I say they have to pass the paper bag test in order to be considered human.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
                          There are plenty of other mineral resources in the Congo worth killing some dark skinned people over. And in the end, isn't that what America is all about?
                          Yeah, but we don't need intervention to screw them all over. Buying officials is usually good enough to pillage the country. And besides, Northern Kivu they would be stirring up a hornet's nest.

Oh wait, they did that in Iraq too. Never mind
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

the world should be a lot more organized to pull something off in Congo, if we did not manage to do anything about Darfur, which was easy in comparison... Congo is really tough

move all people out and turn it into a biggest national park in the world, would probably be the cheapest way to deal with east Congo...
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                            X