No announcement yet.

A New New Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I vastly prefer to help the poor rather than the middle class. I just disagreed with the middle class being the most pampered.

BTW, my sister and her husband are proof that with hardwork/etc you can still reach upper middleclass without a degree (or being an entertainer).

JM
    (Same with my stepdad actually. Although this economy has hurt him.)
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
      My mom and step dad, and my sister and her husband, both have had incomes at the ~100k range (combined).

And they are definitely not wealthy. They have enough to have a house and some nice stuff. But they can't go on vacation when they want or eat out when they want or many of the general activities associated with being rich.

And I don't see that changing if their incomes went up to 150k.

JM
      boo hoo
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
        I vastly prefer to help the poor rather than the middle class. I just disagreed with the middle class being the most pampered.

BTW, my sister and her husband are proof that with hardwork/etc you can still reach upper middleclass without a degree (or being an entertainer).

JM
        (Same with my stepdad actually. Although this economy has hurt him.)
        They are the most pampered in terms of receiving the most value from the government versus the amount they pay to the government.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          Political initiatives aimed at helping the middle class are a waste of money.
          No they aren't. These people almost always vote and donate to campaigns and have the biggest entitlement complex of any stratum of society. From a politician's point of view it is a necessary investment.

If you read an op-ed or listen to a politician these days, you are more than likely listening to someone who is a member of this class or started out there. I call them the "foghorn" class, because they love the sound of their own voices and seem to have this belief that the rest of the world must listen to them, whatever they say.

Watch a movie or a TV show and the protagonists are almost certain to be members of this class. I don't watch many movies any more because I'm sick of it being about some ****ing ad exec, or journalist or lawyer or some other piece of entitlement made flesh.

I am old enough to remember the 70s when TV shows were about normal people living in normal homes on normal incomes. The Bunker's or Cunningham's homes would be evidence of massive deprivation if portrayed on a contemporary sitcom.

This class of people dominates our society in one way or another. It is, as Marx said (and this is something he's still right about), the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie.

Now we're bailing them out....
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

No they aren't. These people almost always vote and donate to campaigns and have the biggest entitlement complex of any stratum of society. From a politician's point of view it is a necessary investment.
            This is my point. It is the median voter theorem.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is my point. It is the median voter theorem.
              Ok. I'm having trouble reading the screen... as I have a nasty flu. My apologies.

Let's all raise a glass to our demented society.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Don't apologise. I was just making myself clear.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They are the most pampered in terms of receiving the most value from the government versus the amount they pay to the government.
                  That seems reasonable, although I don't think I agree.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• We are actually mostly bailing out the very wealthy... not the middle class.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Amen! Preach it, Brother Aeson!!

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• I agree with KH that as a matter of public policy, setting out to help people in my situation as a priority is rather silly. If we're even middle class. I mean, what use is a term that apparently includes everyone not on welfare but making less than $250k/year?

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                          I agree with KH that as a matter of public policy, setting out to help people in my situation as a priority is rather silly. If we're even middle class. I mean, what use is a term that apparently includes everyone not on welfare but making less than $250k/year?

-Arrian
                          It's a convenient polymorphic term for politicians.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson
                            I made ~$6k this year (+whatever my room and board is worth.. I own my computer, and that's about it...) and plan on living leisurely off what I've been able to save up. I have enough for an indefinite vacation in the Philippines at the least.

I think most of the US population is a bit insane. Not everyone can live as frugally as I do (education, or raising a family), but if you can't live on 10x what I make, there's something fundamentally wrong with your plan.
                            Because of taxes, they would have to make 20x what you make in order to make 10x what you make.

Overall, I do agree that reasonable frugality appears to be a lost art.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• they would have to make 20x what you make in order to make 10x what you make

Nobody pays a 50% effective tax rate on a nominal income of 120k.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Close.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X