Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did google screw around with string searches and AND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikolai
    I'd like to refer to post #17. How is that search string not a phrase? And how is it optimizing to make my search less accurate?
    I'd like to refer you to ****ing try it out.
    See my screenshot. It IS a phrase and it IS treated like one.

And it optimizes your search because words like "in" and "the" and "and" are completely useless outside of a phrase in a web query. Every site seems to have those kind of words, they don't narrow down your search at all.
    Attached Files
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"Paris spring" could mean anything, but "Paris in the spring", if used with "s, would be me looking for an exact phrase, perhaps something I've read somewhere. According to Asher however, google would like to decide for me that I am not looking for that phrase.
      WHAT THE **** IS YOUR PROBLEM

For the THIRD TIME, "Paris in the spring" is queried AS a phrase because it IS in quotes.

JUST ****ING TRY IT.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This hurts : Asher is right
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

He is and his screenshot is exactly what I get. Someone get me some of what Nikolai is smoking.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

This thread has some potential
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

The potential of a thread is inversely proportional to the potential of its clueless posters.

Comment

For those of you lacking Google-fu, look here:

And read all the Search Guides in that menu on the left there too.

Try this too:
                Today I gave a talk about using WP CLI in the March 2020 edition of Chennai WordPress Meetup.The talk was more of a hand-on session where I gave demo and explained the different features that are available in WP CLI.You can 

Also, I think, but is not sure, that this once upon a time would give me pages with only one of the terms. I might be wrong though:

http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=...S%C3%B8k&meta=
                No, that was never the case. Using OR means it searches for pages with any of those words in it, instead of all of those words.

That is, your example will find all pages with "Paris" in them, "Berlin", or both "Paris" and "Berlin"... Without the OR, Google will only find pages with both "Paris" and "Berlin".

On the other hand, though, I have in fact come across searches myself where searching for a phrase in quotes also returned results that didn't have that phrase in there. I can't find any right now, though. Adding a + before the quote. E.g. if "Paris in the spring" actually didn't work, +"Paris in the spring" would.

Those cases were probably because other pages linking to one of the search results did contain that phrase in the link to that page, though there may have been other reasons.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                X