In all this, the demise of the EU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In all this, the demise of the EU?

I keep hearing that nationalism, not cooperation under the EU is the order of the day. Does this mean the end of the euro? If every nation goes its own way doesn't that usually require a currency to call its own?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I just heard that the European central banks are working togethter to fend off the global economic meltdown. What non-cooperation are you talking about?

Comment

This ends with some happy horse**** but I believe its about individual national responses to a common problem under a single currency. That can't last long, can it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20081...crisisresponse;_ylt=AkX3TXdK1MrF5EAHzmI396FvaA8F

European Nations Exchange Blame Over Crisis Response
      By Eduardo Cue 45 minutes ago

PARIS--French President Nicolas Sarkozy received a harsh lesson about European realities when he convened an emergency meeting of leaders representing the Continent's four biggest economies--France, Britain, Germany, and Italy--last week to deal with the financial-markets crisis.

ADVERTISEMENT

On the table was a Dutch proposal to establish a Europe-wide bailout plan modeled on the one approved in the United States. "What is of the essence is that Europe should exist and respond with one voice," Sarkozy, who currently holds the rotating European Union presidency, said after the emergency meeting in Paris last Saturday.

The response from Germany and Britain: no way.

Instead, even as stock markets plummeted and governments intervened in a number of failing major financial institutions, European leaders preferred to take a distinctly nationalistic approach. Referring to Germany and Britain, a French official was quoted by the daily Le Monde as saying, "You cannot have coordination when Europe's leading economy and its major financial market are not involved."

Today, the European Central Bank and the Bank of England stepped into the vacuum by joining the U.S. Federal Reserve in cutting interest rates by half a percentage point. Until the coordinated action, which was also joined by the Canadian and Swedish central banks, the Europeans had refused to cut their rates out of concerns about inflation.

The cut brings the European Central Bank's main rate down to 3.75 percent from 4.25 percent, still much higher than the Fed's 1.5 percent benchmark rate.

It is unlikely that the rate cut will lead to a Europe-wide bailout plan similar to the one passed by the U.S. Congress.

"Individual states are very reticent to react jointly because the banking system remains very different from one country to another," Philippe Moreau Defarges, an expert on the European Union at the French Institute of International Relations, said in an interview. "The countries that have a solid banking system don't want to pay for those that don't."

At the time of its introduction in January 2002, backers of the newly created euro argued that it would allow European states to better coordinate economic policy and act as a rampart against economic downturns and volatility in the currency and stock markets. But in creating the European Central Bank to manage the currency, EU members refused to give the institution jurisdiction over the banking system, unlike in the United States. The European Central Bank's priority, at German insistence, is to contain inflation.

The current crisis has manifestly pointed out that despite the establishment of a common currency utilized by 15 EU countries and the progressive integration of its major economies, the European Union, already unable to establish common political and defense policies, also has a long way to go before it can speak with one voice on financial and monetary matters.

As if to prove the point, Ireland began a series of European one-man shows on September 30 with its decision to guarantee the total debt of the country's six major financial institutions and of all individual deposits. Despite complaints about Ireland's going it alone, other countries, including Germany, were forced to follow just days later in an effort to restore sagging confidence. Berlin was also constrained to save Hypo Real Estate, the country's leading mortgage bank, by approving a 50 billion euro credit line to the institution over the weekend.

Nevertheless, German officials remained adamant against a broad European salvage plan despite growing calls from economists to inject more capital into the banking system as a whole instead of coming to its rescue on a case-by-case basis.

"We refuse a European umbrella in which, as Germans, we would have to contribute to a common pot without having control and without knowing what would become of Germany's money," German Finance Minister Peer Steinbruck declared yesterday.

With European stock markets in a deeper freefall than Wall Street's and growing doubts about the solvency of major banks, the only measures the EU finance ministers from 27 member states could agree on at a meeting in Luxembourg Monday were to raise minimum guarantees for bank deposits to $68,000 (50,000 euros) from $27,000 (20,000 euros) and to issue a set of common guidelines to be followed in case of intervention to save a financial institution.

Perhaps reflecting their own inability to come up with a comprehensive rescue package, European leaders have turned their ire on U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson's decision not to rescue Lehman Brothers. "When you allow one domino to fall, the others risk collapsing," French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde said in an interview on the RTL Radio Network.

"We will not tolerate a European Lehman Brothers," the French minister told her colleagues at yesterday's Luxembourg meeting.

For the moment, therefore, Europeans will continue to deal with the crisis case by case. The problem is that a new crisis appears to arise every day, with no one knowing when or where the troubles will end.

On Sunday, French banking giant BNP-Paribas bought Fortis, Belgium's biggest bank, for $20.5 billion (15 billion euros) to keep it from collapsing. Yesterday, Spain announced that it was setting aside $41 billion in bank funds to help troubled lenders. Then today, the British government said it would inject some $87 billion to prevent the collapse of its banking system, in the process partially nationalizing the sector through the acquisition of preference shares.

Experts believe that the crisis may eventually lead to the creation of Europe-wide banks. This is already happening to an extent, with BNP-Paribas, for example, now Belgium's largest bank after the acquisition of Fortis. Under EU regulations, governments will not be able to oppose such moves, and pan-European banks could pave the way for more centralized control of the banking system.

"What is very sad is that the Europeans did not draw on the advantages of the euro in order to create a financial policy," says Moreau Defarges. "Europe always advances by using only one leg at a time."

Comment

Chemise off the lean youth

Comment

Ireland, Germany, some others guarantee their deposits creating account stampedes from the banks in countries not doing this. Selected little guys, e.g., Slovenia, blend the national central bank and the Government into one institution. These look and feel like cracks in the previously growing unity. How real they are/will become depends on how the crisis plays out, I suspect.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Right, that's it. One thing its showing though is how fragile is the EU house of cards. Anyone who looked at the euro as the new dollar just got a dose of reality imo. There's nothing like the good old USD for longevity. The reality is that european governments will take all this unity as long as it suits them and no further.

If I'm right.

Which happened before once.

Comment

Re: In all this, the demise of the EU?

Originally posted by Lancer
              I keep hearing that nationalism, not cooperation under the EU is the order of the day. Does this mean the end of the euro? If every nation goes its own way doesn't that usually require a currency to call its own?
              There's always national manoeuvering, nothing new. That's pretty much the rule within the EU if they find a common approach on something or not.
              Blah

Comment

Sounds to me like it's French moaning that no-one is doing things their way.

Secondly, I don't read it as new division in unity, it will actually create common policy whence everyone realises that these institutions are so interconnected that a common approach in future is the only way forward.

Ireland, Germany, some others guarantee their deposits creating account stampedes from the banks in countries not doing this.

Stampede is hyperbole, unless you can give some figures to the contrary. I don't have figures, but am told that the movements are small by meaningful measures because these guarantees don't affect most depositers (most of whom were already covered).
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Good old USD? No, thanks.
                  I'd rather buy gold.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Gold is good to have. Don't have any...wish I did.

Here's a prediction for you. Flight to the dollar.

You heard it here first. With the EU acting very...european...it is inevitable.

Comment

Re: Re: In all this, the demise of the EU?

Originally posted by BeBro

There's always national manoeuvering, nothing new. That's pretty much the rule within the EU if they find a common approach on something or not.
                      How this plays out will tell much. If the "manoeuvering" becomes a row, then we'll see.

Comment

Are you talking to yourself? Perhaps time to take your medication
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Thanks! I had forgotten. Not that kind of med though.

Comment

I agree with flight to the dollar... and not just because it's already been happening for 2 months.

Though Bernanke can always **** that up again for us... I believe!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: In all this, the demise of the EU?

Originally posted by Lancer
                              How this plays out will tell much. If the "manoeuvering" becomes a row, then we'll see.
                              There are rows all the time. If past history is any guide, the crisis will be a jolt for much-needed and -delayed ventures.

Besides, it's not the EU that's conceivably at risk, but the monetary union. Quite a few EU members aren't part of it yet.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                              X