Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big will Obama's victory be? (2nd Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darius871
    Just from knowing what Perot was "about" I find that extremely hard to believe, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Well, the Washington Post had an article about the poll on Nov. 12, 1992, and USA Today had an article about the same poll on Nov. 4, 1992. The poll was conducted by Voter Research and Surveys, a group effort of the major tv networks.

Here is a link, I think, to a description of the poll, though not the results. Though maybe the results are there, and I just can't figure it out.

Granted, it is just one poll, and for all I know it's flawed or something.
    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      The Wiki article on the '92 election, which I'm too lazy to link to, also mentions it. Apparently, Perot supports were almost evenly divided between voters who would have voted for Clinton otherwise, voters who would have voted for Bush otherwise, and voters who wouldn't have voted otherwise. So if Perot didn't matter, maybe 1992 is the best analogy.
      I've read the wiki too but there's conveniently no polling data there. The fact is Bush would have only needed to beat Clinton by 15% within Perot's constituency to tie the popular vote, and I don't see how that mere 15% margin is such a stretch when Perot's key issue was fiscal conservatism and low taxes. Even if more than 35% of Perot voters told a pollster that they would have voted for Clinton had Perot not run (which I won't buy until I see it in black and white), that still assumes they would have been enthused enough to vote at all as opposed to staying home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even saying Bush would have won, and I'm glad he didn't for that matter; it was just so anomalous/unique that any analogy would have to teeter atop a very tenuous counterfactual scenario. I'm always wary of that sort of house of cards.

Then again I don't like election analogies altogether, considering how many anomalous/unique dynamics are running wild in 2008. It's always going to be apples and oranges IMO.
      Last edited by Darius871; October 5, 2008, 20:28.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Since Democrats have lost most of the presidential elections since Reagan first one I'm with Darius on this one.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Well, it's a virtual tie here in Wisconsin. It's driving me crazy. Every other comercial is a ****ing political ad.

I think I'll vote for whoever leaves me alone the most.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

How the hell is Wisconsin in contention this time around? Like I said, unique.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

when Perot's key issue was fiscal conservatism and low taxes

And don't forget protectionist economics ("the giant sucking sound, etc"). Lots of union folk who didn't like the free trading Clinton would have seen Perot as a good option.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Wisconsin is usually considered a battleground state. It has been in every election I have been old enough to vote in. The thing about Wisconsin, is there are two centers of Dems: Madison and Milwaukee. The rest of the state is mostly Republicans. Every election is one way or another by only a few % points.
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Virtual tie?

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

What ever. Yes, it's a virtual tie. Obama leads, but its close enough (undecided and margin of error) is almost 7-9%. Far more than the difference between the two candidates.

In any case, it's still considered a battleground state.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      when Perot's key issue was fiscal conservatism and low taxes

And don't forget protectionist economics ("the giant sucking sound, etc"). Lots of union folk who didn't like the free trading Clinton would have seen Perot as a good option.
                      On the other hand, he didn't have anywhere near as much of a free-trade reputation until after events in his first term, and we're not talking about '96. Nobody in their right mind would argue Perot was a spoiler in '96, but arguing '92 isn't that far out of line.
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Wisconsin is one of the states receiving the resources McCain pulled out of Michigan, along with Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and Maine.

That doesn't seem to be a wise move to me. All he needs to due is play defense in the states the GOP won in 2004; even giving up Iowa and New Mexico for lost, he'd still win the EC.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

You'd have to think that McCain's money would've been better spent in Michigan. It can't be that expensive to run ads showing Obama praising Kwame Kilpartick.

Comment

hmmm, the banana option should have been 538, sorry about that.
                            "

Comment

Seriously, just run this video in Michigan from now until November...

Kwame Kilpatrick was today ordered to go directly to jail without passing GO or collecting $200. Bound to be a tough blow for Democratic POTUS nominee Barac...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                                On the other hand, he didn't have anywhere near as much of a free-trade reputation until after events in his first term, and we're not talking about '96. Nobody in their right mind would argue Perot was a spoiler in '96, but arguing '92 isn't that far out of line.
                                That is not true. Clinton ran on the issue of pushing through NAFTA. That was part of the "New Democrat" agenda that Clinton was running on. And he tackled it during his first year in office.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X