The War on Intellectualism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Yes, which led to the Recession of '38, which led him to restore his Keynesian policies.
    Are you talking about military spending? You must realise how absurd it is to claim that military deficit spending is Keynesian. It's impossible to collect enough taxes for that kind of spending.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

You'd be better off if you listened to me. You and all the other stupid peons who post here.

Well, it's getting to the time of day when 'poly grinds to a complete halt for me. I shall return (probably around 3pm) when it functions again.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Do you really have THIS little grasp of history?!

Roosevelt, when the economy went into the crapper, expanded the WPA (as well as pushing through the minimum wage).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Do you really have THIS little grasp of history?!

Roosevelt, when the economy went into the crapper, expanded the WPA (as well as pushing through the minimum wage).
          Keynes himself said that FDRs policies weren't Keynesian. You're being as ridiculous as ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

Well, it's getting to the time of day when 'poly grinds to a complete halt for me. I shall return (probably around 3pm) when it functions again.

-Arrian
            I am right. In essence, society employs us to criticize it for its own health. Then people complain when we do criticize it, despite the fact that we are only suppliers of ideas and have no power to put them in to practice.

But it really doesn't matter any more. We have reached the stage of the last man. Public rationality and discourse are dead, and with them substantive conceptions of politics and ethics (I mentioned this in one of the other threads and oddly received much tory admiration for it).

Our society has one problem: freedom in the way we understand it is the root of most of our problems. Our society is Orwellian in that our conception of freedom objectively leads to slavery, the substitution of ignorance for inquiry and the stamping of a boot on a human face for ever. People refuse to see this because they refuse to acknowledge that the last thing they want to give up is the cause of all our problems.

If nothing else, it is a bit of a laugh.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Economic terms, from “absolute advantage” to “zero-sum game”, explained to you in plain English

It argued that economies could sometimes be stable (in EQUILIBRIUM) even when they did not have FULL EMPLOYMENT, but that a GOVERNMENT could remedy this under-employment problem by increasing PUBLIC SPENDING and/or reducing TAXATION, thereby increasing the level of aggregate DEMAND in the economy.
              Remind me again... did Roosevelt's administration increase public spending? And did they do it far, far more than they raised taxation?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Remind me again... did Roosevelt's administration increase public spending? And did they do it far, far more than they raised taxation?
                He tried very hard to collect more taxes. He tried very hard to balance the budget. For this Keynes himself said that he was the slave to a defunct economist.

Hint: Keynes wasn't talking about himself.

Comment

• He obviously didn't try that hard.

Or will you next say that Reagan tried very hard to balance the budget?

Comment

• oh c'mon Imran! You KNOW he did!

-=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
                      Next idea they come up with is that you hate America if you pursue higher education.

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

He obviously didn't try that hard.
                        His goal was to redistribute income and balance the budget. It appears that redistributing income was a priority. That doesn't make him a Keynesian in respect to fiscal policy. Keynes would have only increased spending, and he would have done it a lot more.

Or will you next say that Reagan tried very hard to balance the budget?
                        Reagan intended to create a deficit.

Comment

• Reagan never submitted a balanced budget, but blamed Congress every year for the fact that it wasn't balanced when it cme to him for signing. Saying he intended to create a deficit because that is what happened gives the man an awful lot of credit for thinking it through. He was very old and he knew the bill wouldn't come due on his watch, so he just didn't care. That's not the same as "intent." (Incidentally McCain is even older now than Reagan was at the start of his second term. Think that might give folks a clue as to how much he cares about deficits?)
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

• You mean first term?

Reagan was nearly 74 at the start of the second term, McCain turned 72 in August.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                            X