No announcement yet.

Two weeks after Ike, 400 still missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its like all those democrats pushing Fannie and Freddie to make home loans to people who can't pay them back. Of course Fannie and Frddie drowned in debt. Nobody told the demos that the point of making a loan is that it should be paid back. Of course now that they drowned and Joe Sixpack has to pay for all those bad demo loans the demos are blaming 'Wall Street Greed". I guess those greedy Wall Street types only would give a loan to do that most reprehensable of things, make money.

Its like that.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Stubborn people die. It's tragic, but they can't say they didn't get warning (or more correct, they can't speak at all).

What's left of Ike might now be coming my way. It hit Iceland with 250 mm of rain in 24 hours last week. But I don't know what happened to it after that, there's nothing on the weather report. It has been windy and rainy the last days, but nothing unusual for the season.
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles

The certain death warning for NOLA and Gustav. I just don't understand how anyone who lived in the town famous for being destroyed and home of the worst one-off natural disaster death toll in American history would decide to tough it out after all the bad storms we've had recently.
        Ike had a certain death quote also.

No doubt these people should have left when the warnings came out, but I am sure many of them left for Rita where it was heading on the same early path, and then it turned more north from the Galveston/Bolivar peninsula area.

"Life-threatening inundation likely!" weather service forecasters warned in an official statement to Galveston Island residents living beyond the seawall. "All neighborhoods. . .and possibly entire coastal communities . . .will be inundated during the period of peak storm tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one- or two-story homes will face certain death."
        CHRONICLE story

Comment

My point was not really that people died. Its that very few really realize it. They hear 61 deaths and think "Well, that could have been worse", but since the media isn't around to tell them, they don't know that it was actually A LOT worse.
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

That, and it's just Texas.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It was a real nasty storm.

Comment

Dfg, nice to see you again. How long have you been away?
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                  How many of these people didn't follow evacuation orders?
                  A lot, since they let looters run wild last time.

Comment

re:looters

looters were caught breaking into the home of one of my paralegals who was under the mandatory evac order. sheer luck that they were caught by a patrol.

Comment

If you're talking about a comparison with New Orleans, it was nothing by comparison.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                      X