Two weeks after Ike, 400 still missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two weeks after Ike, 400 still missing

Due to the economic insanity, the story of Galveston and Hurricane Ike has been lost in the news. You may assume that, due to lack of coverage, Ike was an insurance nightmare, but relatively small on the loss of American life, at "only" 61. You'd be wrong.

Gail Ettenger made her last phone call at 10:10 p.m. She was trapped in her Bolivar Peninsula bungalow with her Great Dane, Reba. A drowning cat cried outside. Her Jeep bobbed in the seawater surging around her home.

Ettenger, 58, told her friend she was reading old love letters by flashlight. "I think I really screwed up this time," she said, according to Monroe Burks, Ettenger's neighbor who had evacuated to Houston.

That was Friday, Sept 12. On Wednesday — 12 days later — her nearly nude body was found face down by a huge debris pile in a remote mosquito-ridden marsh in Chambers County, about 10 miles inland from where her gray beach house once stood.

Two weeks after Hurricane Ike swept through the Texas coast, 400 people remain missing, mostly from Galveston County, according to an analysis of calls logged to a hot line set up by the nonprofit Laura Recovery Center to assist local authorities.

Until Wednesday, Ettenger was one of them.

About 60 of the missing lived on the Bolivar Peninsula, stripped bare by the storm surge that felled beach houses like a bomb. More than 200 were listed as missing on Galveston Island itself, according to a city-by-city analysis of the data conducted for the Houston Chronicle by Bob Walcutt, executive director of the recovery center in Friendswood.

Hot line and rescue workers hope that many people, especially on Galveston Island, will be reunited with family and friends as hurricane recovery efforts continue. More than 145 already have been located through blogs, media Web sites, Red Cross shelter lists, endless phone calls, welfare checks and sometimes dramatic rescues led by the Galveston County Sheriff's Office and other agencies.

Yet disturbing tales told by survivors from Bolivar communities like Gilchrist, Crystal Beach and Port Bolivar suggest some may never return.

"There's still lots of people who are not accounted for," said Capt. Rod Ousley, of the State Parks & Wildlife Service, which is helping to search for survivors or bodies in remote corners of several coastal counties. "We don't know if they got washed out to sea, or buried in the sand or in debris piles. We just keep looking until they come up ... we're just going to keep trying."
    Rest of article here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/6027458.html

If each person were confirmed dead, Ike would be the 5th deadliest American hurricane of the last 100 years.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Washed out to sea is the growing opinion, as the article notes.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

bad times

Comment

How many of these people didn't follow evacuation orders?
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I'm pretty much thinking, all of them.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

THE POOR CAT !

Comment

In an odd way this reminds me of europe during the cold war. The Sovs had a huge superiority and the euros were slashing defense spending. If the Russians had attacked I'm sure your average euro would be shocked, wondering 'how could this have happened?' Of course NATO had been declaring europe undefendable, that we would have to go to nukes almost right away...

But the euros wanted a new BMW, not a tank.

Anyway, the governor said it was certain death to stay in low lieing areas and people in those areas died. The whole thing had happened before and lots of people died.

Sorry, but there's Darwin award potential here.

That's not to say it wasn't tragic...but its also the choice of those that died. The gov tells me there's a storm coming and that if I stay I will die, I leave. Just that simple.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Your brain is broken, isn't it?

Comment

Let me check. Seems ok. Thanks for the concern Che.

Comment

The warning was, "If you stay, it's certain death!" I've never heard that warning being given ever before. Why did these people think they could get away ignoring it?

Although, the old lady spending her last minutes reading old love letters. That's kinda cool, in a macabre sort of way.

Comment

I'm glad I wrote them now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          The warning was, "If you stay, it's certain death!" I've never heard that warning being given ever before. Why did these people think they could get away ignoring it?

Although, the old lady spending her last minutes reading old love letters. That's kinda cool, in a macabre sort of way.
                          58 isn't old.

The certain death warning for NOLA and Gustav. I just don't understand how anyone who lived in the town famous for being destroyed and home of the worst one-off natural disaster death toll in American history would decide to tough it out after all the bad storms we've had recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                            Let me check. Seems ok. Thanks for the concern Che.
                            You need to have someone else check it. If it's broken, you'd be using your broken instrument to check whether or not it was broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles

You need to have someone else check it. If it's broken, you'd be using your broken instrument to check whether or not it was broken.
                              Don't two wrongs make a right??

Comment

Working...
                              X