No announcement yet.

Privately-funded rocket reaches orbit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privately-funded rocket reaches orbit!

As some of you might remember, I've mentioned that there have been no successful privately-funded orbital rocket developments. All orbital launch vehicles to date has been government funded.

Until now. SpaceX, in Los Angeles, has become the first privately-funded success story with the launch of the Falcon 1. This was SpaceX's fourth attempt. The first attempt ended in the Pacific ocean not far from the pad. The second attempt ended in the second-stage burn not making orbital velocity. The third attempt ended with the first stage running into the second stage.

Video to come soon!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Private space exploration
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Good news - now they have to do something about that nasty 1-4 succes rate
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

FYI, the price of launches from SpaceX undercut even the Russians.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Having trouble finding the news release on this. Can you give a link please Dan?

Comment

Excellent news Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                    Having trouble finding the news release on this. Can you give a link please Dan?
                    Sure. Here's AP's story...

Here's the Slashdot post that was just issued...

xp65 writes with the just-announced success of Elon Musk's SpaceX's long efforts to reach orbit with a privately-developed launching craft: "T+0:08:21 Falcon 1 reached orbital velocity, 5200 m/s Nominal Second stage cut off (SECO) — Falcon 1 has made history as the first privately developed li...

Comment

Thanks

Comment

This is Ground Control to Major Tong...

Comment

"Besides the Falcon 1, SpaceX is developing for NASA a larger launch vehicle, Falcon 9, capable of flying to the international space station when the current space shuttle fleet retires in 2010. "

Seems we won't need the Russians after all.

Comment

BOOOOO YAAAA!

Comment

Sorry, but I serious doubt many companies will entrust their horrifically expensive satelites to a private company that has only shown it can get 25% of its rockets into space. They are going to have to do a lot more testing and build up a serious success record.

I also wonder how this plays into international rocket proliferation regulations and rules.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X