• Show
Clear All

• Pirates....now with tanks!

Arrrrr.....

Pirates seize ship carrying 33 tanks
    Vessel attacked off coast of Somalia, agency says
    The Associated Press
    updated 11:00 a.m. ET, Fri., Sept. 26, 2008

KIEV, Ukraine - A Ukrainian ship seized off Somalia by pirates had 33 Russian T-72 tanks in its cargo, officials said Friday. Twenty-one crew members were also on board when the vessel was hijacked in waters near the troubled African country, an international anti-piracy watchdog said.

Ukrainian Defense Minister Yury Yekhanurov told reporters that the cargo on the ship, the Faina, also included "a substantial quantity of ammunition and spare parts," according to Larisa Mudrak, a spokeswoman for President Viktor Yushchenko.

The hijacking brings the number of attacks off Somalia to 61 this year, and pirates are now holding 14 ships and more than 300 crew members, said Noel Choong, who heads the International Maritime Bureau's piracy reporting center based in Malaysia.

It was not immediately known where the tanks were being shipped to, although the ITAR-Tass news agency said they had been sold to Kenya. Yekhanurov also said the tanks had been sold "in accordance with international law," according to Mudrak.

Choong said pirates attacked the Ukrainian vessel Thursday.

Russia said Friday it has sent a patrol ship from Russia's Baltic Sea fleet to the area, but a navy statement did not specifically mention the seizure of the Ukrainian ship.

Call for 'serious action'
    Most pirate attacks occur in the Gulf of Aden, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes, to the north of the African country. However, Thursday's hijacking was in the Indian Ocean waters off eastern Somalia — the third in that area in recent weeks.

Choong said the United Nations and the international community should take "serious action" to prevent further attacks.

"There must be a deterrent for the pirates not to attack the ships. If there is no deterrent, it will continue," he said.

The U.S. Naval Central Command has set up a security corridor patrolled by an international coalition of warships. However, pirate attacks remain prevalent off Somalia, which has not had a functioning government since 1991.

Some 20,000 vessels pass through the Gulf of Aden every year while traveling between the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26901780/
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

what would johny depp do?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Hell of a days catch.

The pirates can't get the tanks (they certainly don't have access to the kind of port facilities necessary for unloading tanks), but the smaller munitions they can definitely keep.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Almost as good as the Iranian mystery death ship that we want.

But theres a problem for the pirates, the Russians have already sent ships out to the region.

Russia will soon join international efforts to fight piracy off the Somalia coast, but will conduct its operations independently, the Navy commander said on Tuesday.
        Last edited by Whoha; September 26, 2008, 12:06.

Comment

I would have loved to have seen the look on the pirates face when they oppened the hold

It goes without saying, but STOP SAILING SO CLOSE TO SOMALIA. We set up that security corridor for a reason.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Japan should step up to the plate and sic some ninjas on them.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

russians vs pirates! who wins?
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Somalia sounds like a nation of parasites. Jacking Western aid and piracy are the only news reports you hear.

Comment

Not to worry. Casey Ryback is hiding in one of the tanks.
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                    Somalia sounds like a nation of parasites. Jacking Western aid and piracy are the only news reports you hear.
                    If there is an improverished, unstable country near a shipping lane, there will be pirates. FACT.

BTW: The U.S. Navy is charged with combatting piracy. Why aren't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

If there is an improverished, unstable country near a shipping lane, there will be pirates. FACT.

BTW: The U.S. Navy is charged with combatting piracy. Why aren't we?[/B]
                      See the post above.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

BTW: The U.S. Navy is charged with combatting piracy. Why aren't we?
                        Umm, we are. We (and the UN) created a security corridor. Didn't you read Patroklos' post? It seems that this particular ship did not stick to it.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

This particular case was also off the eastern coast as well, which is a far less trafficed area by both merchants and warships.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

As opposed to the ... western coast of somalia???
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Northern, along the Gulf of Aden. The eastern coast is on the Indian Ocean.

There are US and coalition patrols along the east coast, I have spent time there myself (The Seychelles rock!), but it is not a natural choke point and is VAST and thus harder to coral and protect many times disinterested merchant traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X