Yet another nut shoots up a school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another nut shoots up a school

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Gun attack targets Finnish school

A gunman has been disarmed after opening fire at a catering college in western Finland, police say.

There were fears of injuries and possible deaths after the gunman - said to be carrying an automatic weapon - entered the college in Kauhajoki.

Finnish broadcaster YLE said he was thought to be a 22-year-old student.

Last November a student shot dead eight people at a school in Tuusula. The level of gun ownership in Finland is among the highest in the world.

A BBC correspondent in Finland said a gunman dressed in black was seen at the school, apparently carrying an automatic weapon.

Police ordered an evacuation and called for reinforcements.

Ski mask

The gunman remained at large within the college grounds for some time before police apparently restrained and disarmed him.

"I just heard from the police radio that the shooter has been caught. He no longer has a gun," a police spokesman told the AFP news agency.

There were reports of a fire at the site and of at least one injured girl leaving the school covered in blood, our correspondent says.

Jukka Forsberg, a maintenance worker at the school, told YLE that several people had been injured.

A man with a ski mask was seen entering the building with a large bag, YLE reported. Soon after, the worker heard shots fired.

At least five police squads were sent to the scene, YLE said.
    There's been some contradictory reports on this, some say he shot himself dead at the end, some that he was disarmed and captured. Perhaps he did shoot himself by failed to completely self-pwn? Oh well. There'll be a police press conference in ~4 minutes or so.

This guy in seven seconds: http://omploader.org/vcm5k/you_will_die_next.avi
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Yeah I get lotsa different stories here too, not clear what happened
    Blah

Comment

WTF Pekka?!
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

"What the **** is wrong with Finnish gun enthusiasts that causes them to miss themselves?"
        "A 22. LR is not enough to pierce a skull thick enough to hatch the idea of school shooting."

Anyway, yeah. Boring guy. He doesn't even have a nutty manifesto like Pekka-Eric Auvinen did, or if he does nobody's found it yet. Just so many pictures and videos of him shooting with that pistol or pointing it at the camera, and apparently a circle of Columbine enthusiast friends. Also! According to http://putkizone.com/kauhajoki/suomi24treffit.html he was last online on a dating site at 22:54 last night, and he lives alone. Fail? Fail, I believe.

As for the news, Ilta-Sanomat, Iltalehti and Helsingin Sanomat have all converged to "shooter wounded himself but is alive". There was a fire, apparently deliberately started, at the school, which was put out. Three dead are confirmed, no reliable information about further casualties yet.
        Last edited by Ari Rahikkala; September 23, 2008, 07:00.
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

"Damn...that's not a forehead its a sixhead. No wonder why he was so pissed off."

Comment

They say 9 dead, but I might have fumbled with my reading.

Sucks. At this rate, we'll outrun the US. I guess population wise we already did it.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Now the news says at least 10 dead. ****. Schools are dangerous places it seems like. The most dangerous places in here at least.

I hope it doesn't turn into a real epidemic, two maniacs already within a year.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Been hearing reports saying pretty much everything between 3 and 10 dead. Someone saw the guy carrying what might or might not have been a bomb, so they've emptied out and restricted a part of the school.

Also, (Finnish) Yleisradio's writing about how popular the event is with foreign news media

Comment

It is also a testament to the world.

Both these Finnish maniacs prepared a media package of a sort, and both did it in english as well. Every wants fame and outdo the previous nut... fooking crazy.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Ari, yeah, and that's a testament that YLE is into tabloid ways as well
                    In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      It is also a testament to the world.

Both these Finnish maniacs prepared a media package of a sort, and both did it in english as well. Every wants fame and outdo the previous nut... fooking crazy.
                      I'd say Pekka-Eric had a great deal more charm than this guy, though. I mean, he at least pretended to have an ideology, though it didn't make a great deal of sense unless you were drunk. All that this guy wants to do, it seems, is make people stare down the barrel of his gun before they die. Perhaps if the bullet he put in his own head doesn't turn him into a vegetable he'll write a book or something later, that could at least make him interesting.
                      Last edited by Ari Rahikkala; September 23, 2008, 08:03.

Comment

15:05 <@GoatLord> vittu kun naurattaa tuo vanhasen englannin puhuminen

OK, now I do wish I actually had a TV . Oh well, I can catch it later on YouTube...

Comment

Sisäministeri Anne Holmlundin mukaan ampumavideo tuli nettiin perjantaina 19.9. Asia oli myös poliisin tiedossa.

Apparently the cops had talked with him about the "shooting video" (not sure which one that refers to, but it's probably the one I linked to in the OP because the rest of the stuff he released is just boring) on Monday. They found no reason to take his gun away - he had a legal (temporary) permit and (from another source, on IRC) had convinced the cops the video was just a prank.

Also from IRC sources, I hear the guy's in pretty bad shape. They're not even going to operate on him unless he miraculously stabilises...

Comment

Sickening

I guess we are world's number 1 country in school shootings per capita now... The damn ****er could not even come up with anything original...

Comment

Yep.

That gives a thought to Michal Moore though.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X