Biden Runs His Mouth, Gets Disingenuous on Our Asses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden Runs His Mouth, Gets Disingenuous on Our Asses

Well, Joe Biden has a reputation for running his mouth, and he does it yet again...

The Story Behind Biden's Emergency Helicopter Landing in Afghanistan
    September 22, 2008 6:19 PM

"Ladies and gentlemen, where are we now? Where are we now?" Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., said to the National Guard Association today, talking about the war in Afghanistan.

"If you want to know where Al Qaeda lives, you want to know where Bin Laden is, come back to Afghanistan with me," Biden said. "Come back to the area where my helicopter was forced down, with a three-star general and three senators at 10,500 feet in the middle of those mountains. I can tell you where they are."

Biden said that Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., "says he’ll follow them to the gates of hell. You don’t have to go to hell. Just go to Pakistan. Just go to that area. That superhighway of terror that exists between Afghanistan and Pakistan."

We hadn't heard before about Biden's helicopter being forced down, so we did some Googling.

After all, earlier this month at a fundraiser, he made a similar remark, when discussing how he doesn't care about the Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's controversies like whether she sold a state plane on eBay, or when she went from supporting to opposing the Bridge to Nowhere.

"What I care about is: What in God's name is she going to do -- along with John McCain -- about the thousands of people who don't have health care?" Biden said according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Biden said he would ask Palin about "The superhighway of terror between Pakistan and Afghanistan where my helicopter was forced down...John McCain wants to know where Bin Laden and the gates of Hell are? I can tell him where. That's where Al Qaeda is. That's where Bin Laden is. It's not in the country of Iraq."

In February 2008, Biden -- along with Sens. John Kerry, D-Mass., and Chuck Hagel, R-Neb. -- was on a chopper that made an emergency landing in the mountains of Afghanistan.

A snowstorm had forced them down.

No one was injured, and the Associated Press reported at the time that "the senators and their delegation returned to Bagram Air Base in a motor convoy, and left for Turkey.

"The weather closed in on us," Kerry told the AP at the time in a phone interview from Turkey. "It went pretty blind, pretty fast and we were around some pretty dangerous ridges. So the pilot exercised his judgment that we were better off putting down there, and we all agreed...We sat up there and traded stories."

Kerry joked, "We were going to send Biden out to fight the Taliban with snowballs, but we didn't have to do it…Other than getting a little cold, it was fine."

-- Jake Tapper and Matthew Jaffe
    For those who don't want to read the article, the long and the short of it is that Biden is implying that terrorists forced down his helicopter in Afghanistan, when it reality it was bad weather that forced it down.

I guess this is sort of like how Hillary charged through machine gun fire at the airport

Why are politicians so ****ing stupid? I don't just mean the Democrats, because I'm sure McCain/Palin will **** up and say something stupid before November 4th, too.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

You inferred his chopper was forced down by terrorists. Biden merely states his copter was forced down and indeed it was forced down. Don't blame Biden because you're inserting things into his statements which he never said.

guess this is sort of like how Hillary charged through machine gun fire at the airport
    ...with two exceptions: (a) Hillary never ran through sniper fire; (b) Biden's copter was indeed forced down. There is a marked difference between saying something which isn't true and saying something that is true.

Comment

I don't see where he "implied" anything. He said the chopper was "forced down," not by what.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

The Chopper is My Penis

My chopper was forced down by your mommas face.

Comment

Oh come on, he was obviously trying to imply that he was forced down by Al Queda.

Come back to the area where my helicopter was forced down, with a three-star general and three senators at 10,500 feet in the middle of those mountains. I can tell you where they are.

Seems to be implying that he can tell you where they are because they were shooting at him.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Come on, Biden was talking about his helicopter being forced down in the context of an attack on McCain, saying that McCain didn't understand that the terrorists were in Afghanistan/Pakistan and not Iraq.

Of course, according to John Kerry, who was also in the helicopter, there was no hint of terrorists, no hint of danger, and everyone had a pretty good time. So, why even bring the incident up in that context, except to get people to believe that he somehow had firsthand experience with the War on Terror?
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's good ... this is why Biden will be the reason Obama loses, if he does. Wonderful remarks like this

Anyone have the Dukakis picture handy
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                Anyone have the Dukakis picture handy
                Sure enough...

Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ah, there we go. Thanks

Comment

I've never understood why that picture is so damning. I mean, sure, he looks like a goober, but ninety percent of all campaign photos show the candidate doing something that makes him look lame. What's the subtext I'm missing? I was five at the time, and Wikipedia notes that the photo-op backfired but doesn't explain why.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's funny that the only people inferring what Floyd is inferring or otherwise thinking ill of this comment are staunch McCain supporters.

That should tell you something.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That staunch McCain supporters aren't complete idiots?

I'm more than willing to call them like they are, and this is most definitely a goof by Biden on the level (and very similar to) the Hillary goof. He clearly intended to get political traction out of "my helicopter was forced down", and he didn't mean his listeners to think "because of snow" ...

Comment

I didn't think that Imran was a staunch McCain supporter, by any stretch of the imagination.

And turn it around - what if McCain was lecturing Obama about Iraq, and referenced his Humvee being forced off the road en route to Baghdad, when the reality was that they had a flat tire, no one got shot at, and they all played a few hands of poker while they were waiting?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            That staunch McCain supporters aren't complete idiots?
                            That's not possible?

I'm more than willing to call them like they are, and this is most definitely a goof by Biden on the level (and very similar to) the Hillary goof.
                            He clearly said he was forced down. He clearly was.

Any inference you see is because of your bias.

I'm more than willing to call them like they are, and you're being a biased bastard. There you go.

Straight-talk express, right up your ass.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                              I didn't think that Imran was a staunch McCain supporter, by any stretch of the imagination.
                              He has been since his Oedipus Complex candidate got eliminated. He's still bitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X