American's Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American's Rights

They're all important, I know. If you had to pick one, what would you choose?

I'll pick freedom of religion.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Freedom of speech

Every other right is meaningless if you can't complain your rights are being violated.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I gotta side with the dirty stinking commie.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Dirty stinking commie.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Freedom from religion
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

6th... cause you can have all the other rights you want, but if you can be thrown in prison indefinitely without trial anyways, it doesn't do you much good to have rights.

Comment

2nd...because when all else fails it's easier to fight for your rights when you're armed.

Comment

Christians didn't have freedom of speech. They didn't have guns. They did it anyway. I'll stay with my pick.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I'd pick religion last, because of all of them, that's the one that tries to restrict the most rights. But, actually, the founding fathers put the freedom of religion in therw not to guarantee religion, but to ensure that one single religion doesn't dominate the others and infect society with just that oppression that would smother the other, more important, rights. Freedom of religion is merely the chains binding the beast.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

They did it for both reasons. Certainly the one you advocate as well. No state sponsered government made mandatory. It allows atheism.

Comment

Most of them go hand in hand. Or, in other words, it's hard to have one without the other.

Comment

I'll go with "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

The 10 you are thinking of were added almost as footnotes and many Founders didn't want them added because they felt they were restrictive.

Comment

The right to remain silent
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

What CO said.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Christians didn't have freedom of speech. They didn't have guns. They did it anyway. I'll stay with my pick.
                              Which Christians?
                              Early Christians?
                              They didn't have freedom of religion either hence I fail to see how that's an argument for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X