Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hitchhiker Book?!!

WTF?!!

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Children's author Eoin Colfer has been commissioned to write a sixth instalment of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.

Mostly Harmless, the last Hitchhiker book, was written by its creator, the late Douglas Adams, 16 years ago.

Now Adams's widow, Jane Belson, has given her approval to bring back the hapless Arthur Dent in a new book entitled And Another Thing...

Eoin Colfer, 43, is best known for the best-selling Artemis Fowl novels.

He said he was "terrified" by the prospect of creating a new Hitchhiker book almost a quarter of a century after being introduced to what he described as a "slice of satirical genius" in his late teens.

"Pressure"

"My first reaction was semi-outrage that anyone should be allowed to tamper with this incredible series," he said.

"But on reflection I realised that this is a wonderful opportunity to work with characters I have loved since childhood and give them something of my own voice while holding on to the spirit of Douglas Adams.

"I feel more pressure to perform now than I ever have with my own books," he said, adding that he was "determined that this will be the best thing I have ever written".

Jane Belson said: "I am delighted that Eoin Colfer has agreed to continue the Hitchhiker series.

"I love his books and could not think of a better person to transport Arthur, Zaphod and Marvin to pastures new. The project has my full support."

Adams died of heart failure in 2001, aged 49.

Around 16 million copies of his Hitchhiker books, which have been translated into 35 languages, have been sold around the world.

Colfer was a primary school teacher in Ireland before he secured the largest ever advance for a children's novel by an unknown author.

His Artemis Fowl series, about a teenage criminal mastermind who wreaks havoc in this world and the next, went on to sell more than 18 million copies worldwide and a film adaptation is due to go into production next year.

And Another Thing... will be published in October next year.

This is just.... wrong
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Err, did this Belson lady invest poorly or something?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Comment

Re: New Hitchhiker Book?!!

[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        This is just.... wrong
        QFT
        Blah

Comment

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about this, but Colfer is one of the few I'd possibly be okay with writing a HHG book. He has a great sense of humor, at least.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'll read it, but I won't enjoy it.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I stopped reading the series at the start of the third book, when it just got weird to the point of being illegible.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Oh, come-****ing-on. Everyone DIES in the last book. In ALL possible universes.

What are they going to do next? Write "Beyond Revelation: Trouble in New Jerusalem"?
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                  I'll read it, but I won't enjoy it.
                  QFT

I read the lastest James Bond book. It was actually pretty good until the end. Too bad that the author, editor and publisher failed to notice that, even if Bond hadn't intervene, the bad guy's plot would have failed. Stupid plot by bad guy -> stupid book.

Comment

It can't possibly be worse than the mess they made of the film.

Comment

If it's any good maybe the author can finish Salmon of Doubt too.

Comment

The film was actually fairly decent.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Agreed. I really liked the Vulgons. And Ford.
                          And the guide itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            As someone who loved the book and could not get even halfway through the movie just now, I say no, it wasn't. It was random, but daft-random, not funny-random. The whole thing was disjointed, as though the script had been dictated by a stuttering guy with Tourette's. And Trillian was annoying.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I will kill you know for insulting Zooey Deschanel

Comment

Working...
                              X