• Show
Clear All

TECH FORUM

OPENING ITS MOUTH

WIDE

AND

TAKING IT

Comment

Well, the thread is more of about the drama of me dealing with this issue than the technology of it so it doesn't fit in the tech forum. Plus no one posts there.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Why don't you use this opportunity to upgrade to Vista. I think I have spare copy lying around in my closet where I have a lot of spare things.

Comment

That's just begging for a response from Asher... where is he?

Comment

There's no Captain Picard blow up dolls in my closet, thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
              That's just begging for a response from Asher... where is he?
              Asher thinks he knows everything, but he really is like a nerdy Agathon. He is a quack who knows less about technology than my grandmother who is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                So I will have random crashes on top of many other problems?
                I had two kernel panics on my MacBook back in July. That makes a grand total of 5 kernel panics in the seven years I have been running OS X.

Apple should hang its head in shame at such unreliability.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

Asher thinks he knows everything, but he really is like a nerdy Agathon. He is a quack who knows less about technology than my grandmother who is dead.
                  I wasn't talking about the technological aspect of it. I was just saying he's usually right on top of "Wiglaf's closet" debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

I had two kernel panics on my MacBook back in July. That makes a grand total of 5 kernel panics in the seven years I have been running OS X.

Except for the threads I made 3-5 years ago when I complained about all the crashes and lockups I had with the various Macs I used.
                    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Reformat the hard drive and reload all the original software.

I've gotten to where I can do this in 2 or 3 hours. I called my comp manufacturer and got the original software loading disks, and its all good.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

That's infinitely more BSODs (kernel panics) than I've had in Vista in nearly two years and 4 more BSODs than I've had in XP since its first betas in 2000. (Excluding the BSODs I got when I had a bad memory module, which is a hardware fault)

So while Apple shouldn't hang their head in shame there, it's not particularly good either. In fact, given that the MacBook is a 100% enclosed system developed by Apple from top to bottom, it's not unreasonable to expect a competent development company to have an OS that never BSODs/kernel panics on it. The fact that XP and Vista across a wide variety of hardware are more stable is quite telling. Apple has **** software testing strategies.

I very rarely use OS X on my MBP, but in that short time I experienced two kernel panics on Leopard and one back on Tiger. Wholly unimpressive.
                        Last edited by Asher; September 19, 2008, 01:48.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

I wasn't talking about the technological aspect of it. I was just saying he's usually right on top of "Wiglaf's closet" debate.
                          I'm working 16 hour days this week, and those 16 hours are insanely busy. Sometimes, even Wiglaf isn't important to me.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                          X