Intelligent Design in Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligent Design in Schools

So, I went home to visit some friends and my mom for the past week. Now, usually when I spend time with my mom, we end up arguing about something, and this time was no exception - abortion, Christianity, logic/reasoning, alcohol, and intelligent design/evolution and it's place in schools.

The following are some of the points I made, and I'd be interested in seeing what the IDers/creationists (BK, etc.) on here think.

Now, obviously I can't unequivocally state that ID didn't happen. You can't prove a negative, right? I'm also OK with the notion that the Big Bang and evolution are the result of an Intelligent Designer. What I'm not OK with, is someone who believes in ID trying to tell me that there is little credible evidence for evolution, and that many scientists don't even believe it anymore. That argument basically goes like this:
    1)You can't 100% prove evolution.
    2)In fact, you can't even explain everything that evolution implies.
    3)This means there are major problems with evolutionary theory.
    4)Evolutionary theory is wrong.
    5)Therefore, Intelligent Design is the correct theory.
    6)Many scientists are coming out in support of ID.

Now, that's a silly argument. Not even the most committed evolutionary biologist would say that there are no holes in evolutionary theory - or, for that matter, that evolution IS a theory and that hypothetically a better theory will be found someday.

Next, even if points 1-4 above were true, that doesn't mean that point 5 logically follows. Duh.

Finally, what scientists are coming out in favor of ID? Creationists don't usually get to that, because they don't usually do minor things like examine the credentials of the people publishing bull****. Case in point, my mom gave me a book to read that she said was written by someone who studied all of the scientific facts and concluded that intelligent design occured. OK, fine. I read part of the book (although I do intend to finish it), and concluded two things: 1)the author is a journalist, not someone we should expect to understand complex biology. 2)His arguments were either philosophical arguments (the clockmaker argument, for example), or simply attacks on evolution rather than affirmitive evidence for ID. The notion that that guy was qualified to have a credible opinion is akin to the notion that I can read a bunch of medical books and go tell my doctor that he paid too much for his medical degree.

Moving on, though, there are undoubtedly some scientists out there with credible credentials in a field related to evolution who don't think evolution happened. But so what? That's not what the majority of the peers think, and that's not what the majority of peer-reviewed literature says. Yes, lot's of people thinking something doesn't make what they think right, but in this case, I think I'm going to go with what most scientists say, simply because I'm not qualified to have a credible opinion myself.

The next argument that gets put up, usually, at this point, goes something like this: "Well, science has believed different things over time, so who says that they are right now and won't change their minds tomorrow?" Answer: "Nothing at all." The point, though, is that you also won't ever find a scientist who is as rabidly attached to the theory of evolution as IDers are to creationist theory. Science is just going to have to trump faith when we're talking about things like molecular biology.

At this point, it's usually amusing to ask your creationist opponent to cite some evidence for their position. They will invariably come out with three things only:
    1)The Bible/God
    2)Philosophical arguments
    3)Arguments against evolution but not for creation

If your opponent is even mildly intellectually honest - which is in many cases not true - you can usually pin them into a corner here and get them to admit that there is no affirmitive scientific evidence for creationist theory.

And yet, even given that, they will still argue that ID should be taught in schools, specifically in science courses. "Truth is truth", they'll tell you, "regardless of whether or not we can prove it, so shouldn't we teach truth in school?" Ah yes, the classic strawman. No, sorry, I don't think we should teach truth in school

But seriously, folks, let's stipulate for a moment that ID is, in fact, truth. It seems to me, though, that if you can't present scientific evidence for truth, then you probably shouldn't teach it in science class. Philosophy/religion classes, sure, but teaching students to use the scientific method, be skeptical, use their critical thinking skills, and then teaching them in the same class that Intelligent Design is "The Truth" even though you can't apply any aspect of science to it is absolutely horrible. All that does is to teach kids that if they can't prove something, just take it on faith - after all, proof isn't important. Of course, that might also make them question why they have to show their work in science and math classes - after all, if SOMETIMES it doesn't matter how you reach a conclusion, proof be damned, then when DOES it matter?

And you wonder why science standards in this country are going down. I'm not saying this is the cause of all of it, but I bet if we took Intelligent Design out of science classes, and don't even mention it as a theory, much less a fact, then over the long-term, we would see an increase in our students' proficiency in science.

Anyway, here's my two-fold challenge to proponents of Intelligent Design:
    1)Come up with a reasonable argument that will convince me we should teach ID in science courses.

2)Show me SCIENTIFIC evidence for ID.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

ID/creation "science" should be taught in science class, as a fine example of how science should not be conducted.
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Fair point, but then again, there is no science backing it up anyway, so why give it the appearance of credibility?

I say just leave it in philosophy and religion courses and be done with it.
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

My point is that it should be used to give the students a better understanding of how the scientific method works.
        In real science, you basically design experiments to prove that your hypothesis is wrong (of course, in reality many scientists design experiments trying to prove that their spectacular hypothesis is correct, but anyway...). On the contrary, in creation "science" you do it backwards; you start with the conclusions and then you try to find data that appear to fit in with your conclusions.
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Intelligent Design is not science. It cannot be scientically proven or unproven. It cannot be duplicated in a lab. It is a philosophy, but no one ever suggests teaching it in a philosophy class.

Evolution is a scientific theory. Many of its aspects can be proven in a lab. IIRC, not all aspects of it have yet been proven, which is why it is a scientific theory but not yet a scientific fact.

Scientists like to think the Big Bang is science. While it is clear to me that SOMETHING big happened back then, no one's ever dublicated it in a labratory. Therefore, it is not science. It is a philosopy believed in by most scientists.

Comment

It's my understanding that things like the universe's background radiation, which has been measured, implies the Big Bang.

Also, the Big Bang is a viable scientific theory, because you use science to arrive at it. No, it isn't observeable - although the CERN reactor might just shed some light on the matter - but it's a theory developed from observed facts. It differs from God in that God is self-admittedly not subject to science, so therefore any theory involving God is by definition not scientific in nature.

Comment

Evolution, as it exists in contemporary media, is no more science than the Big Bang or ID. The whole problem is that the grossly unscientific junk contaminating the science (Dawkins' "memes", various atheistic pontifications, etc) cannot be separated out. Just as the anti-ID crowd insists that the religious inspiration of ID can't be separated out.

What the IDists want is the two to be treated equally, to the extent that they are equal as philosphical "world views."
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Straybow, the problem is that there is actual scientific evidence pointing towards evolution, in multiple fields of science - physicals, astronomy, geology, chemistry, biology, etc. - yet there is no scientific evidence in any field of science pointing towards ID.

Also, evolution is not a "world view" in the sense that ID is. Evolution is something that is taken not on faith, but on the preponderance of the evidence. ID is something that has to be taken on faith, because there is no evidence.

Comment

Re: Intelligent Design in Schools

Originally posted by David Floyd

1)You can't 100% prove evolution.
                  2)In fact, you can't even explain everything that evolution implies.
                  3)This means there are major problems with evolutionary theory.
                  4)Collect underpants.
                  5)
                  6)Evolutionary theory is wrong.
                  Fixed!
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Perhaps next you'd like to start a thread debunking phlogiston? Oh, weird, Firefox spellcheck actually recognizes "phlogiston."
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

[q=David Floyd]the problem is that there is actual scientific evidence pointing towards evolution[/q]

Pfft, who needs scientific evidence in science anyway?!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        [q=David Floyd]the problem is that there is actual scientific evidence pointing towards evolution[/q]

Pfft, who needs scientific evidence in science anyway?!
                        That sounds funny coming from someone who plans to vote McCain/Palin.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

2+2=5.

I have FAITH it is so.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I'm just waiting for a genuine IDer to post in this thread so I can mock and harass them mercilessly now and at many unspecified points in the future. Do any exist here?

Comment

BenK. But he is immune to taunts and reason.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X