Russia to send warships, planes to Venezuela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KIROV CLASS (TYPE 1144.2)

"The Russian Heavy Missile Cruise Ship, Project 1144.2 Kirov Class was built by the Baltic Shipyard in Saint Petersburg. The Kirov Class provides the capability to engage large surface ships and to defend the fleet against air and submarine attack. Four cruisers were built but only Admiral Nakhimov (commissioned in 1988) and Pyotr Velikhiy (commissioned in 1995) remain active.

MISSILES

The ship is armed with the Granit (Nato designation SS-N-19 Shipwreck) long range anti-ship missile system. Twenty Granit missiles are installed under the upper deck, mounted at a 60 degree elevation. The version of Granit on the Kirov is not controlled after launch. In ripple-fire mode, the lead missile follows a high flight trajectory, while the other missiles follow a low level flight path. If the lead missile is intercepted then one of the other missiles automatically takes on the lead role.

An S-300F Air Defence Missile Complex is installed on the ship, with 12 launchers and 96 vertical launch air defence missiles. The Osa-MA Air Defence Missile System is supplied by the Znamya Truda Plant based at Saratov. The ship has two double launchers and 40 missiles. The system can operate autonomously or it can be integrated into the ship's combat systems and download target data from the ship's sensors. Osa-MA has a range of 1.2 to 10 km at an altitude between 25 and 5,000 m.

The ship is equipped with a Kashstan air-defence missile/gun system, supplied by the Instrument Design Bureau of Tula. The system provides defence against a range of precision weapons including anti-ship and anti-radar missiles and air bombs, aircraft, and small naval ships. Two command modules and six combat modules are installed on the ship. The command module provides autonomous operation by detecting the threats, distributing the threat data and designating the targets to the combat modules. The combat module automatically tracks the target with radar and television, calculates firing data and engages the target with missiles and guns. The missile range is 8 km and the gun range is 1.5 km for altitudes up to 4,000 m. The system can engage up to six targets simultaneously, one for each combat module. The guns can fire at a rate of 1,000 rounds/minute.

GUNS

The Kirov is fitted with a 130 mm AK-130 multipurpose twin-barrel gun supplied by the Ametist Design Bureau, Izumrud JSC and the Tula Engineering Plant. The main components of the artillery system are a computer-based control system with a multi-band radar, television and optical target sighting, and a gun mount with a turret-mounted Kondensor optical sighting unit. The gun can be operated under fully automatic remote control interfaced to the radar control system, under autonomous control from the sighting unit or can be laid manually. Range is over 22 km and maximum rate of fire is 35 rounds/minute. The ship also has a 30 mm AK-630 artillery system.

ANTI-SUBMARINE WARFARE

The ship has 10 torpedo tubes for 20 Vodopad-NK anti-submarine missiles or torpedoes. The ship has two anti-submarine and anti-torpedo rocket systems, the Udav-1 with 40 anti-submarine rockets and the RBU-1000. The ship has two RBU-1000 six-tube launchers, with 102 rockets.

HELICOPTERS

The ship accommodates three Kamov Ka-27PL or Ka-25RT helicopters. The Kamov-27 (Nato codename Helix) is equipped for anti-submarine warfare with surface search radar, sonobuoys, dipping sonar, and magnetic anomaly detectors. The Ka-27 can be armed with torpedoes, bombs, mines and rockets. The Ka-25RT (Hormone) helicopter is the predecessor of the Ka-27.

PROPULSION

The ship's propulsion system is based on a combination of nuclear power and steam turbine, with four nuclear reactors and two auxiliary boilers. The four steam turbines deliver 28,000 horsepower. Two shafts drive two 5-bladed fixed pitch propellers. The propulsion system provides a full speed of 31 knots."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KIROV CLASS (TYPE 1144.2) - SPECIFICATION
    Complement
    Ship's complement 727
    Aircrew 18
    Flagship staff 15
    Dimensions
    Length 251 metres
    Length at the waterline 228 metres
    Beam 28.5 metres
    Beam at waterline 24 metres
    Draft 10.33 metres
    Displacement
    Standard displacement 24,300 tons
    Full load displacement 24,500 tons
    Maximum displacement 26,190 tons
    Propulsion
    Nuclear power and steam turbine
    Nuclear reactors 4
    Oil fired auxiliary boilers 2
    Steam turbines 4 x 7,000 horsepower
    Shafts 2 shafts driving 5-bladed fixed pitch propellers
    Power Generators
    Turbogenerators 4 x 3,000 kW
    Gas turbine generators 4 x 1,500 kW
    Fuel Store
    Auxiliary boiler fuel 1,120 tons
    Aviation fuel 58 tons
    Performance
    Full speed 31 knots
    Speed on auxiliary boilers 14 knots
    Endurance 60 days
    Anti-ship Missiles
    Granit antiship missile system
    Underdeck container launchers 20
    Anti-ship missiles 20
    ADGM Air Defence Gun Missile system
    S-300F Air Defence Missile system
    Launchers 12
    Vertical launch air defence missiles 96
    Osa-MA Air Defence Missile system
    Launchers 2 x double launchers
    Air defence missiles 40
    Kashtan Air Defence Gun-Missile system
    Command modules 2
    Combat modules 6
    Missiles 192
    Cartridges 24,000
    Guns Two 130 mm AK-130 multipurpose GM 1, with 840 rounds
    30 mm AK-630 AD gun mount
    8 x 6, 48,000 cartridges
    Anti-Submarine Weapons Ten missile-torpedo launchers
    20 Vodopad-NK anti-submarine missiles or torpedoes
    Udav-1 anti-submarine and anti-torpedo system
    40 anti-submarine rockets
    RBU-1000 Anti-Submarine Rocket Launcher
    2 x 6 launchers
    102 anti-submarine rockets
    Aircraft Three helicopters
    Kamov Ka-27PL or Ka-25RT
    Systems Combat information centre
    Radio communications system
    Satellite communications system
    Anti-ship missile firing control
    RBU-1000 and Udav fire control system
    Radars Surveillance radar system
    Low flying and surface target acquisition radar
    Air defence missile system fire-control radar (2)
    Fire control radar for 30 mm air defence gun (4)
    Navigation radars (2)
    Sonar Active and passive sonar system
    Countermeasures Electronic countermeasures system
    Decoy dispensers 2 x PK-2 with 400 rockets

Displacement:
    standard: 19,000 t
    full load: 24,300 t

Dimensions
    Length, overall: 252.0 m (826.8 ft)
    Length, waterline: 230.0 m (754.6 ft)
    Beam: 28.5 m (93.5 ft)
    Draught: 9.1 m (29.5 ft)

Speed: 30 kts
    Range: 14,000 n miles at 30 kts
    Endurance: 60 days

Complement: 692 (82 officers)

Peter The Great:
    Builder Baltic Yard 189, St Petersburg, Russia
    Laid down 25 Apr 1986
    Launched 29 Apr 1989
    Commissioned 1996
    Attached Files
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Is that rust?
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

QFT. Smirnoff is only vodka by name
        Good! Serves em right.

Comment

I actually wish they would make a port call to Norfolk so I could see 'em.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Actually, it's a beautiful ship. Its narrow beam indicates its built for speed but will be unstable in rough weather.

Comment

I don't get it. Why are they comming over here to play with Venezuala, but not with Cuba? Don't they know they're making Cuba feel lonely and unloved?

They should at least say they're sorry and send flowers

and missles.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Because Cuba isn't a paying customer anymore.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Actually - on paper, and AFAIK - the Kirov class is one of the most impressive surface combatants in the world. It's designed to take down carriers, and we don't have anything that can match it in terms of surface warships - we'd probably have to take it down with a carrier or more likely a sub.

It's just that, who knows it's actual capabilities, due to maintenance and training questions, and the operational experience of it's crew, especially officers and NCOs.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                    I don't get it. Why are they comming over here to play with Venezuala, but not with Cuba? Don't they know they're making Cuba feel lonely and unloved?

They should at least say they're sorry and send flowers
                    and missles.
                    I was watching "The Missiles of October" just a couple of nights ago. That was one MF scary time. We came so close to blowing the world up.

Comment

A nuke would work on it...
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                        Actually - on paper, and AFAIK - the Kirov class is one of the most impressive surface combatants in the world. It's designed to take down carriers, and we don't have anything that can match it in terms of surface warships - we'd probably have to take it down with a carrier or more likely a sub.

It's just that, who knows it's actual capabilities, due to maintenance and training questions, and the operational experience of it's crew, especially officers and NCOs.

Not that I'm a military expert of anything, but what missles do they have on carriers and subs that they don't have on every surface ship in the USN.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

A nuke would work on it...
                          No no no no no no no!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Not that I'm a military expert of anything, but what missles do they have on carriers and subs that they don't have on every surface ship in the USN.
                            A carrier has planes.
                            A sub has torpedoes.

Comment

A watermelon has seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

A carrier has planes.
                                A sub has torpedoes.
                                Does it have missle defense or something and what are the planes going to do, dive bomb?
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X