Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should children be trained in combat and fighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karate classes, shooting classes and the like are available for kids to take. They are great options for lots of kids. Less great options for other kids.

Just give kids the choice.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ozzy, the link to your deceptive blog post is formatted wrong.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
        Well, I'm sure he'll soon be pointing out that, as I used words that may be considered insulting, he is, technically speaking, insulted, regardless of his actual feelings in the matter. And then we can quote definitions to each other until our jaws fall off.
        Seems your wrong once again Lazarus and the Gimp

I considered the source and felt no further need to pancake..or was it waffles...

Anyhoo, you have your opinion me mine..

Plus I been working all day so this is first chance to dabble in useless drivel

If you will give me a moment, I am going to put an extra bolt in my jaw so it wont fall off talking to A WALL Lazarus and the Gimp

Originally posted by Tuberski

I'm sure he would be insulted if you used words that weren't regional.
        Nope, in respect to you and your sweetheart Tubes (& Mrs. Tubes) i have nothing but respect and admiration.
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Oh this is great. You know what the Asians do to help their kids learn discipline? Kung-fu, Juitsu, Karate? Nope. They enroll them in after hours tutoring. That's why their kids smash ours at testing. Instead of sending our kids to classes where they might get the impression that they're hot s**t at fighting and that that means something for their future, why not discipline them with something useful?
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            Oh this is great. You know what the Asians do to help their kids learn discipline? Kung-fu, Juitsu, Karate? Nope. They enroll them in after hours tutoring. That's why their kids smash ours at testing. Instead of sending our kids to classes where they might get the impression that they're hot s**t at fighting and that that means something for their future, why not discipline them with something useful?
            Q F T

Comment

I think the notion that enforced studying of martial arts would make people disciplined is crap.
              That might be partially due you not having much experience in martial arts, although your point is partially taken.

Much more important than the discipline aspect, though, is the self-esteem aspect. I can speak to that from personal experience.

As for FORCED martial arts training/combat training, I'm not so sure. I do think it should be heavily encouraged, though. It will also have the VERY USEFUL side effect of eliminating the scourge of humanity we refer to as soccor moms within a generation. You know who I'm talking about - those minivan-driving, holier-than-thou *****es who can't bear the thought of anything mildly violent or out of step with their own opinion. Basically, the kind of stupid ***** likely to join MADD, be heavily involved in Neighborhood Associations, and just generally be a mindless ****.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd

That might be partially due you not having much experience in martial arts, although your point is partially taken.

Much more important than the discipline aspect, though, is the self-esteem aspect. I can speak to that from personal experience.

As for FORCED martial arts training/combat training, I'm not so sure. I do think it should be heavily encouraged, though. It will also have the VERY USEFUL side effect of eliminating the scourge of humanity we refer to as soccor moms within a generation. You know who I'm talking about - those minivan-driving, holier-than-thou *****es who can't bear the thought of anything mildly violent or out of step with their own opinion. Basically, the kind of stupid ***** likely to join MADD, be heavily involved in Neighborhood Associations, and just generally be a mindless ****.
                Couldnt agree more David

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd

Sorry. Did Judo for 4 years. Martial arts are not the magical cure-all their fans claim them to be. Whole point to be taken, please.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Re: Re: Should children be trained in combat and fighting?

Originally posted by Kidicious

Either you've never been in the military or you are nuts. You are not independent in the military. The military is pure authoritarian. When they say jump you say how high.

What a horrible suggestion, but I'm not suprised to hear it come from you.
                    Hey, in the military you don't ask "how high?". When they order you to jump, you jump. If they don't specify how high it's up to you how high you jump. But if they give the order and you ask back instead of jumping at once it's insubordination, and probably something else because you implied the order wasn't clear, so you can face all kinds of bad consequences, like execution etc.
                    Blah

Comment

We should create a Salusa Secundus forthwith!
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Should children be trained in combat and fighting?

Originally posted by BeBro

Hey, in the military you don't ask "how high?". When they order you to jump, you jump. If they don't specify how high it's up to you how high you jump. But if they give the order and you ask back instead of jumping at once it's insubordination, and probably something else because you implied the order wasn't clear, so you can face all kinds of bad consequences, like execution etc.
                        Just don't show up to bootcamp with a mohawk like I did.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Sorry. Did Judo for 4 years. Martial arts are not the magical cure-all their fans claim them to be.

Judo isn't exactly a martial art, though.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

I think you'll find it is, after you've picked yourself up from that wave of hysterical mocking laughter that just blasted you off your feet.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                            X