No announcement yet.

Hypothesis: Dems should hope that Obama loses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the dems in question are liberal or moderate they better hope Obama wins. McCain will not appoint anything but conservatives to the high bench and then we'll have 9 right-wing SC justices, and be able to re-write the Constitution to serve their own ideological agendas.

An Obama victory can help restore the balance of judicial power in the SCOTUS, as well as in lower courts.

Also a McCain loss will help speed along the destruction of the wacko wing of the GOP. If McCain had picked a different VP this might not be the case, but Palin has made no bones about her subservience to the far right, and so tars McCain with that brush (assuming he ever was more moderate).
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
      Also a McCain loss will help speed along the destruction of the wacko wing of the GOP. If McCain had picked a different VP this might not be the case, but Palin has made no bones about her subservience to the far right, and so tars McCain with that brush (assuming he ever was more moderate).
      What are you nuts?! If McCain loses, the far right will blame on the fact that McCain is a RINO (which is ridiculous, but plenty on the far right think that way) and will say that Palin was the only reason McCain even had a chance.

It is likely that the Republicans will try to go with someone further right (maybe even Palin) in 2012 because "going moderate" didn't win.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yes, I had considered that before the Palin selection. But afterwards IMO it could just as easily reinforce the idea that McCain won ONLY b/c he picked a far right VP, considering her current "rockstar" status, I feel that's more plausible.

If he loses then it can be said that McCain's choice of a far righter alienated the moderates.
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I would have to agree with Imran on this - Palin is a rockstar and if McCain wins or isn't blown away, evengelicals would see it as a triumph of one of their own (Palin). McCain would have to be crushed utterly (loss of at least 5% points) for anyone to claim that Palin hurt him and that it shows the weakness of the far right.

As for Palin's future, I am not as sold that she has some inevitable great future as a Republican leader.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The future of the party is with the social conservatives in any case. The economic conservatives as we currently know them will probably be significantly diminished after universal health care is successfully passed. So the Huckabee/Palin wing ought to be more ascendant in the wake of a Democratic victory than loss. At the same time, demographic realities will constrain social conservative tendencies, so we ought to see a more moderate party overall. Ross Douhat and Reihan Salam have been writing some interesting stuff about the future of the GOP.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
              It's hardly covert. From Ronnie talking about welfare queens to saying that history would have turned out better if Thurmond had won to defending the flag of slavery, the GOP has pretty much offended the vast majority of Black Americans. It's gonna take a long time to overcome that.

Those are, of course, a small number of examples.
              But, with some exceptions, I would think that the majority of white Republicans have renounced racism today. You're referring to recent history, and this may have already changed with far less racist white Republicans (again, there are exceptions even today though).
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                Re the Black-Catholic analogy: the GOP only succeeded in siphoning off Catholics from the Dems by combining an appeal with values and a covert appeal to racism
                In my experience, the siphoning had nothing to do with racism. I do admit that my experience is not necessarily representative of the whole.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Is DanS trying to form a completely new definition for DanSing?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
                    It's hardly covert. From Ronnie talking about welfare queens to saying that history would have turned out better if Thurmond had won to defending the flag of slavery, the GOP has pretty much offended the vast majority of Black Americans. It's gonna take a long time to overcome that.

Those are, of course, a small number of examples.
                    You said "overt racism of the GOP" itself, as a group, not "overt racism of some specific individuals within the GOP as evidenced by their Freudian slips." Tad of a difference.
                    Last edited by Darius871; September 8, 2008, 22:14.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Would you call Joe Lieberman far-right? No? Odd that he and McCain get along so well.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        But, with some exceptions, I would think that the majority of white Republicans have renounced racism today. You're referring to recent history, and this may have already changed with far less racist white Republicans (again, there are exceptions even today though).
                        Define overt. They don't announce it thru public media but certainly among other white conservatives they'll openly say racist things.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

Define overt. They don't announce it thru public media but certainly among other white conservatives they'll openly say racist things.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Re: Hypothesis: Dems should hope that Obama loses

Originally posted by DanS
                            Here's a new type of post for Apolyton. Line up arguments for and against a hypothesis.

My first hypothesis is that the Dems should hope that Obama loses. If Obama wins and is a reasonably successful president, the black vote will revert more toward values or issues politics than identity politics. If the black vote splits more along values or issues lines, then the Dems will lose 5 or 6 percentage points of their support.

In support of this hypothesis, take a look at the Roman Catholic vote before and after JFK became president. The RC vote was unified behind JFK because RCs thought that they weren't being dealt-in on power in this country. Several decades later, an RC presidential candidate, John Kerry lost the RC vote because that was no longer a question.
                            The Democrat party is different than it used to be. I'd say that leaving labor high and dry was the determining factor for these more socially conservative voters to leave the Democrats.

Comment

Re: Hypothesis: Dems should hope that Obama loses

They should hope to loose because otherwise they would loose with a 5% larger margin the next time?
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I think the next pres is going to have a bad economy for the first year or two of their term. Should be picking well enough before the next elections that the pres can claim they fixed Bush's mess. (Even though for the most part it's just the economy's natural ebb and tide at work.)

If I'm wrong and the economy is bad throughout... we're in big trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X