No announcement yet.

RNC 2008: McCain Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The promise in question was regulation of carbon emissions from power plants. Christine Todd Whitman resigned after this broken promise.

And you've got a decent parallel here, with McCain promising cap and trade, but opposing moderate, bipartisan legislation (Warner-Lieberman) when it was going through the Senate.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Obama is also spinning his tune as quickly as he can. Saying now the surge was successful and backing away from reversing the Bush tax cut (now saying he'd just let them expire when they come up for renewal if we are in a recession), so who knows what he really stands for?

I would prefer an intelligent candidate who changes his position in light of new facts and information and new circumstances rather than an inflexible, dogmatic candidate.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo
        ...And you've got a decent parallel here, with McCain promising cap and trade...
        I would like to take this opportunity to say I'm a proud member of the Democratic Party, which is cricizing McCain for being so naive as to propose a cap-and-trade policy, especially in light of the fact that Obama is proposing a cap-and-trade policy.

Comment

• the Democratic Party, which is cricizing McCain for being so naive as to propose a cap-and-trade policy,
          Um. Who?
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

• What??

Comment

• Where?

Comment

• Zkrib, who do you think said that?
                -Bokonon

Comment

• You broke the pattern

Comment

• Because I'm dead inside
                    -Bokonon

Comment

• -----

Originally posted by MrFun
                      I would prefer an intelligent candidate who changes his position in light of new facts and information and new circumstances rather than an inflexible, dogmatic candidate.
                      You realize you've just prevented yourself from ever going after someone for flip flopping, right?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                        Hmm. Possible, particularly given the current composition of Congress. But that can change. I take it, then, that you feel the GOP has been sufficiently punished by the 2006 mid-terms?
                        I don't get this vengence against a Party thing. Vote for who you think is better... I don't get why we have to punish someone, because of his predecessor's policies.

By that logic, the rest of the world should continue to punish the US, even if Obama gets elected President. Whenever anyone works with Obama, the rest of the world can say "do you feel the US has been sufficiently punished?!!"

The tax cut thing makes some sense to me, but there you have reason to wonder if his positions are too fluid. It doesn't bother me, b/c like I said, the position makes sense to me: he may think that taxes on people above 250k/year are low, but also recognize that now isn't the time to raise them. That, to me, says he's a prudent fellow and not an ideological fanatic.
                        On the other hand, when McCain changes policy based on circumstances (ie, offshore drilling, Bush tax cuts), he's branded a flip flopping panderer to the right wing. Obama does it and it is a prudent idea based on changing circumstances. Bull. If its pandering for McCain, it's pandering for the general election for Obama. It fits with a bunch of different positions he's taken for the generation (such as FISA modernization, etc).
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                        X