RNC 2008: McCain Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    It was an extraordinarily stupid shorthand.

Just admit you were wrong and move on Ramo... make your point and just admit you got one detail wrong, but your main point is valid.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Appears the RNC worked pretty damned well:

Rasmussen Tracking has it as a tie (though it started on Thursday), and Gallup Tracking has it as +3 McCain (though it too started on Thurs).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Appears the RNC worked pretty damned well:

Rasmussen Tracking has it as a tie (though it started on Thursday), and Gallup Tracking has it as +3 McCain (though it too started on Thurs).
        yeah, but then blah blah zzzzzz....
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Appears the RNC worked pretty damned well:

Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Just admit you were wrong and move on Ramo... make your point and just admit you got one detail wrong, but your main point is valid.

I suppose that I should've been clearer, given that y'all apparently think that someone out there might've entertained the notion that alone among virtually every institution around, state governments are prohibited from borrowing. But that was obviously not what I meant.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

• The internet has all kinds. It's to your discredit that you made the idea plausible, not ours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo

Look at the debts for state governments. Much smaller than federal debt.
                Most if not all states have constitutional requirements for balanced budgets. California's always had one. Once Arnold came in, he's passed a second constituional requirment "to cut-up de credit cards". Since then, he's only borrowed about $20 billion.

Comment

• That's out of necessity, again due to the limited ability to borrow. This is one reason that, for example, universal health care needs to be a federal program. A few states made major improvements in the '90's, but they were all gutted when recessions came, significantly reducing revenues. Universal health care in MA is likely to meet the same fate (if a federal alternative isn't passed).
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

• It's to your discredit that you made the idea plausible, not ours.

Huh? I said that I should've been clearer.
                    -Bokonon

Comment

• USA Today/Gallup has shown McCain given a BIG ASS bounce from the RNC... they have him up by 10 in polling Likely Voters.

Comment

• The leftist media did that. They have no clue how to treat a lady, a mother even. These left media types are so frenzied and full of hate that they are truly blind. Its the only explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
                          They have no clue how to treat a lady, a mother even.
                          Like any other politician?
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi

Like any other politician?
                            Even that would be a great improvement.

Comment

USA Today/Gallup has shown McCain given a BIG ASS bounce from the RNC... they have him up by 10 in polling Likely Voters.
                              Saw that, but I think the Rammussen and Gallup polls of voters are more credible. I can see all sorts of people being left out of the "likely voters" category (minorities, students).

That said, the Republicans were very successful with their convention. Picking Palin threw the media into a frenzy, and Bush was a non-entity at the convention. That said, we still have two months to go, more importantly, the debates are coming.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I'm interested to see what the WSJ/NBC poll has to say on wednesday. It'll also be interesting to see what happens after the ABC interview with Palin. I don't think we'll have a really good sense of where this thing is going until the debates, tho.
                                "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                                "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X