No announcement yet.

RNC 2008: McCain Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But! A pres can let us know the name and the pork and we can vote the person out.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The thing is, we'd need a Constitutional amendment.

But so far, the only one calling for a line-item veto has been SlowwHand.

You realize these go together, right?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

SlowwHand and Constitutional amendments?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

No, Slowwhand not really caring what the Constitution says .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Line Item Veto Amendment.

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
              Line Item Veto Amendment.

In your wildest dreams.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

A Line Item Veto Amendment would be a horrible thing as it would upset the balance of power between the Legislature and the Executive.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  A Line Item Veto Amendment would be a horrible thing as it would upset the balance of power between the Legislature and the Executive.
                  This has been my attitude for the longest time. But most, if not all, states have it, and they function just fine.

Plus, at most, the line-item veto leads to inaction. The time to worry is when one branch of government can act without a check from the others (e.g. the President's power to pardon).

Comment

Speaking of which any bets about when Bush will start handing out the pardons? It will be after the election of course but will he wait for the last week like Clinton did or will he start sooner. My guess is it will be sooner as he has a lot more pardons to hand out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

This has been my attitude for the longest time. But most, if not all, states have it, and they function just fine.

Plus, at most, the line-item veto leads to inaction. The time to worry is when one branch of government can act without a check from the others (e.g. the President's power to pardon).
                      A Line Item Veto power reduces the influence of the Congress over the president by giving the president a power over them. Besides your states example doesn't work, because the state government is checked by the federal.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Speaking of which any bets about when Bush will start handing out the pardons? It will be after the election of course but will he wait for the last week like Clinton did or will he start sooner. My guess is it will be sooner as he has a lot more pardons to hand out.
                        I'm wondering if he'll hand out blanket pardons to himself and others in his administration -- which is tantamount to an admission of guilt -- or whether he'll play things dangerously.

Comment

The pardons are coming. Just wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                            But! A pres can let us know the name and the pork and we can vote the person out.
                            Yeah, but the people who would vote the guy out are the same people that benefit from that pork. There's a bit of a conflict of interests
                            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

I don't even pretend to understand the power dynamics involved or how seriously it would affect them, but I don't see how a LIV could be too badly abused, assuming the system were set up properly. Either the veto is overridden and the bill passes as is or they bite the bullet, cut the stuff the President objects to and it passes with revisions. All it does is allow an extra compromising mechanism in the system. It only reduces congressional power insofar as they can no longer pull the old "Ha ha, we stuffed the budget with bull**** pork but if you veto it we'll blame you for putting the government in a stall" trick. Well, not as effectively, anyway.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Though I can definitely see the abuse. Say there are protections put into a bill... for example, wiretapping. The President just just strike those protections out and pass a far more powerful bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X