No announcement yet.

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put Metallica into the same league with Tchaikovsky and Beethoven. Very different, but still - a real music.
    I wouldn't go that far personally but an argument can certainly be made. Lyrically they are weaker than a lot of the alt rock bands (post-Siamese Dream Smashing Pumpkins springs to mind) but musically they structure their songs much like the early Romantic composers.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
      Best album since the Black Album for sure. Best song would be Suicide & Redemption - not surprisingly entirely instrumental.
      agreed

I'm not sure why they picked the day that never comes as their single: it's the worst song
      agreed

(after that was just your life)
      not agreed.
      that was just your life is pretty solid IMO

Originally posted by faded glory
      Granted some of the songs on St. Anger were pretty good. Unnamed feeling and Saint anger mainly. But the best was unnamed feeling. Really touched me as a recovering drug addict.
      I liked Fratnic for the great guitar riffs, and Dirty Window.
      The rest was pretty crappy IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Serb
        (Yeah, I know its instrumental, but it sounds just great, almost as good as Orion).
        You know, they have several songs that have bits and pieces that remind me Orion.
        Was that creative borrowing from previously successfull song? Or low creativity? Wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          Hey Dis, what do you think of the new album?
          Don't have it. Not sure if I'll buy it.

Just not into metal much anymore. Go ahead and say I'm not a true metal fan if you all wish (though I do listen to Manowar- they call themselves true metal ).

I'm not sure why. I just don't seem to have the anger that I had in my youth. Although I think I'm purposely trying to reduce my anger, and I think heavy metal may have jacked it up. I'm not sure. But my life was getting out of control, and I had to slow things down.

Not to mention most new music I hear on the radio is crap. That may have been the deciding factor. But I have heard one metallica song on the radio. I'm not sure which one they are playing on the radio right now, it's all right I suppose. It's the one that has lyrics at the beginning but the last few minutes is all music and solos. It's nice to have solos again, but the song didn't seem great enough for me to buy the album.

As for now, I listen to my classical. It seems to relax me. Or I think it relaxes me which is about the same thing. Placebo effect and all that. I even dig the atmospheric stuff they play on Sunday evenings. Really cool stuff. I really dig anything with classical guitar or violins. Violins and cellos kick ass.

Maybe one day I'll get the Metallica songs. But who knows. I still have yet to get Tools new album. And that came out like 4 years ago (they may have had another one since then for all I know). I considered myself a huge Tool fan along with a huge Metallica fan at one time. But now I'm not so sure. I guess I'm not a metalhead anymore. All that money I spent on CD's. *sigh*

Comment

*gasp*
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I know Hammet is a great player but I just don't find his solos very memorable.
              Pretty good Album, I think Metallica is the greatest American Rock band.
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Dis. Don't listen to the radio. There are few radio stations with good rock music nowadays. It's sort of passé at the moment.

I wouldn't say that Metallica is the greatest American 'Rock' band either, because they don't play rock. The band is often portrayed as one of the quintessential trash metal bands, but in my opinion it's nowhere trash like Slayer, Kreator or perhaps Sepultura are. Metallica is usually a lot more melodic, but they succeed in converging a smooth sound with that "kick in the teeth" attitude. Of course all of this is relevant up till their fourth album ... And justice for all.
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

That said, I really honestly enjoyed Suicide & Redemption. Fully instrumental, not hampered by Hetfield's wasted voice

Good standard riff, attempts at variation, and finally that bit of creativity we found lacking for the past 10 years.
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

Kirk's solos in Master and Justice are the best, those are memorable. Very little what he's done since then have stuck with me.

I may eventually download that stuff. I keep meaning to get around to getting the tool album... Just never seem to get around it. I'm kinda scared of the riaa right now .

I do need music to listen to during world of warcraft sessions. And metal seems to work best. I prefer classical while driving, as it relaxes me more during heavy traffic. I usually listen to stuff like Cradle of Filth, manowar, and Rammstein whilst playing wow. Metallica works just as well.

Comment

My brother-in-law got me the album for my birthday. Good thing, because I don't think I would have bothered to get it myself after the tragedy that was St Anger. I have to agree with others here who see this as the best album since the black album. My favorite track is "Broken, Beat & Scarred". I'm not sure why everyone makes so much of "Suicide and Redemption", I think the main riff is sub-standard. It sounds like a "jam riff" if you know what I mean. The middle section is great though.

All in all, a good effort. I look forward to the next one.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I heard one more song on the radio the other day. I think it was cyanide. And it was just weak. The best part was the solo part (and background instramentals during the solo were good). The lyrics just sound tired.

Hate to say it, but their creative spark doesn't appear to be there anymore. I still asked for the album for my secret santa at work. but I also put on my list 2 clint eastwood dvd's. And I'd rather have those.

And so far from what I heard, I still prefer St. Anger despite the ****ty sound quality and lack of solos. Had they put some solos on St. Anger and recorded it normal- it would have been an amazing album.

Comment

No way, Death Magnetic is way better than St Anger. Cyanide is not a good track though.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            S&M was their only good album.
                            ...which was essentially a "best of" with an orchestra. I sense a closet Metallica fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              I heard one more song on the radio the other day. I think it was cyanide. And it was just weak. The best part was the solo part (and background instramentals during the solo were good). The lyrics just sound tired.

Hate to say it, but their creative spark doesn't appear to be there anymore. I still asked for the album for my secret santa at work. but I also put on my list 2 clint eastwood dvd's. And I'd rather have those.

And so far from what I heard, I still prefer St. Anger despite the ****ty sound quality and lack of solos. Had they put some solos on St. Anger and recorded it normal- it would have been an amazing album.
                              Cyanide is probably a leftover from the St. Anger days

My favorite track is "Broken, Beat & Scarred". I'm not sure why everyone makes so much of "Suicide and Redemption", I think the main riff is sub-standard. It sounds like a "jam riff" if you know what I mean. The middle section is great though.
                              Dunno, it just sounds great to me. I don't care much about riff difficulty. If the riff is too weak, well... the whole (of the song) is better than its parts I guess

My approval for 'the day that never comes' has increased significantly. I wasn't too impressed the first time I heard it, but that has changed now..

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
                                Dunno, it just sounds great to me. I don't care much about riff difficulty. If the riff is too weak, well... the whole (of the song) is better than its parts I guess
                                True, the whole is better than the parts. It's not that the riff is bad, I just felt that it could be better. And the rest of the track more than makes up for the failings of the main riff.

My approval for 'the day that never comes' has increased significantly. I wasn't too impressed the first time I heard it, but that has changed now..
                                Yeah, I like that one too. It's commercial, but tasteful.

Comment

Working...
                                X