How do I forge an elite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos
    No Asher, I totally got it and drowned it. Being a deformed runt quadriplegic of a point it was very easy.

How astute of you! Who here wants to comment on each of our relative knowledge between myself and Asher on what an actual Marine does?

Have you ever worked with a Marine in any capacity Asher? Observed one at work? Anything at all?
    I love how you're dumb enough to think pretending that none of us understand the intellectual hardships of the marines will work. Yes, the Marines are the intellectual elite of the world. Joining the marines makes you elite. You're so right. A winner is you.

You have no argument. You are basically falling into the same whole you trapped Gepap in earlier, which is weird.
    Actually, you are. I take issue with the comment that joining the marines makes you elite, and here you are defending it just like GePap defended his elite status.

1.) Not relevant.
    It's the whole point. You seem to forget the premise of this argument was the comment by your comrade-in-arms that you should join the marines to become elite. So to illustrate that you can become more elite in every way outside of the marine corps is not only relevant, it's a counter-argument that you've yet to comprehend.

2.) Why are you only listing intellectual requirements? Are Olympic swimmers not elite?
    They are. But marines are not Olympic swimmers.

Did I claim I was elite?
    You are defending the claim that joining the marines makes you elite. Think about that.

No Asher, the just means every field where it is possible to meaningfully differentiate yourself from your peers has elites within it.
    Yes. Precisely.

Now that you've discovered this, relate this back to the comment in question which was one should join the marines to become elite. Are all marines elite? That's what I'm contesting. I'm making the case that the job requirements and everyday actions by the marines do not make them elite. I never said there was never any elite marines, just that not all marines are elite.

This is basic logic stuff that any intelligent person should know.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Actually, you are. I take issue with the comment that joining the marines makes you elite, and here you are defending it just like GePap defended his elite status.
      1.) When did I claim I was elite?

2.) You have still yet to stumble upon the reason why Marines are considered elite. Everything you have said so far is irrelevant to whether Marines are elite or not.

You are defending the claim that joining the marines makes you elite. Think about that.
      Well, this comment proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are not an intellectual elite.

Its okay Ramseya, unless you get some perverse pleasure in poking a confused animal with a stick, you can leave Asher to his own devices now. The thread speaks for itself (if you read the crock pot thread this one becomes far more hilarious at Asher's expense).

Now that you've discovered this, relate this back to the comment in question which was one should join the marines to become elite. Are all marines elite? That's what I'm contesting. I'm making the case that the job requirements and everyday actions by the marines do not make them elite. I never said there was never any elite marines, just that not all marines are elite.
      See Ramseya, he not only fails to make a coherent point here (and mischaracterizes his arguement thus far) but also pretty much concedes defeat. This is about as close as you get to Asher admitting he is not a God.
      Last edited by Patroklos; August 20, 2008, 16:15.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ramseya

There's a lot of former Marines who had great careers... how about Jon Corzine, former Chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs, former US Senator, and current Governor of New Jersey?
        Do you want me to make a list of non-marines who've had great careers or do you concede that this is not the best argument you've made?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
          Its okay Ramseya, unless you get some perverse pleasure in poking a confused animal with a stick, you can leave Asher to his own devices now. The thread speaks for itself (if you read the pot roast thread this one becomes far more hilarious at Asher's expense).
          This is not the first time you've been soundly smacked down in a thread and are oblivious to it. The last time you even resorted to the same tactic -- identifying a fellow military man than dismissing me like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've manhandled you two lightweights like a marine handles a transexual Thai whore. Your colleague made a ridiculous comment, I shot it down, and ever since then you've been throwing out strawmen and alluding to things without backing them up ("how long have you been a marine?!" etc).

This is child's play.

Comment

Yes Asher, conversing with you is like speaking to a child.

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Asher:

I was just pointing out that it is hardly a bad career move, especially if you leverage that experience for grad school.

The point is that, according to the original definition of elite, posted by anessham

By elite, I mean a group of people who are physically better-trained, mentally more equipped, and emotionally more mature than the general population, and the distance between them and the general populace is large enough that at first glance there would appear to be a difference of type between them.
              By that definition, I don't see how you couldn't agree that Marines are elite. Marines definitely fit that bill. Of course, I would concede that there is a difference between most officers and most enlisted persons.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to develop an elite individual, however. To an extent, every university exists for this purpose as do a dozen different organizations such as the Boy's Scouts, but they are limited in their scope. A university, for example, can enhance one's mind greatly, but does nothing for the body, unless you're a student athlete.

Really, in retrospect, flat out saying the Marines will get the job done might not have been accurate, though I suspect their training will go a longer way than Army or Navy enlisted bootcamp would. I should have said, send them to West Point, the Naval Academy, the Air Force Academy, or any Officer Candidate School in the various branches and you'll have an elite individual, more than satisfying the definition of elite posited by aneesham.

Comment

Originally posted by ramseya
                Asher:

I was just pointing out that it is hardly a bad career move, especially if you leverage that experience for grad school.

The point is that, according to the original definition of elite, posted by anessham
                I didn't read his post, and neither should you. Ever. His posts are evil.

Comment

This thread has been thoroughly derailed.

May I request Asher and the marines to get a room?

As for an education in the marines being sufficient - I was looking more for something from the ages of five/eight to eighteen/twenty one.

Comment

Aneeshm:

Read Plato's Republic. He discusses this issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X