How do I forge an elite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I forge an elite?

This thread is for people to post their answer to a single question: given a bunch of normal children of age eight, and control of their environment until they're around twenty one, what is the best way to forge them into an elite?

By elite, I mean a group of people who are physically better-trained, mentally more equipped, and emotionally more mature than the general population, and the distance between them and the general populace is large enough that at first glance there would appear to be a difference of type between them. The distance should be large enough that a common person must be in awe of the order of men forged by your education/training.

Now there are two possible scenarios:

a) You're a rich businessman with gazillions of dollars. Say, someone like Bill Gates or Warren Buffett. You have the resources to do pretty much whatever the hell you want. If it can be bought, it's yours. Remember that you have to create at least ten centres, and that your proteges have to enter the wider society when they come of age - you cannot just create a city for them and insulate them. What do you do to forge an elite in this case?

b) You're a community with average, or slightly above-average means. You have human talents and skills, but not exceedingly much in the way of resources. You can muster money equivalent to the total funding of a good school in a wealthy district of the USA. Your job is not so much to build the entire elite, but to create a model which can then be replicated by similar-minded people across the country (which is, of course, inevitable once they see its success). What do you do in this case?

The two situations are basically the two cases - resource-intensive and resource-constrained - which are most likely to occur in the real world. I know that it's tempting to answer only one - the one you're more comfortable with - but I request you to answer both.

I know that many people are uncomfortable with the idea of someone sitting down and explicitly planning to create an overclass of people, but this thread isn't meant to discuss that. It's about educational and training methods for creating an elite, not about whether such a creation or such an elite is an ethical thing.

You nee to provide an education, and provide an atmosphere and culture that is focused on success. You also need to provide a stable and loving home environment (For most people), and keep them healthy and undistracted by sex/games/entertainment.

Seems like it would be pretty difficult.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why would you do this for a random group of 8-year-olds? If you decided to do it, principle concerns would be knowledge, self-discipline, awareness, and physical prowess. You would inevitably be forced to deal with hormones and issues related to their own need for freedom.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

This sounds like a question for GePap.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

undistracted by sex/games/entertainment
          these can not be ignored as part of their education or they will not be elite. They'll be essentially handicapped when placed back into the gen pop.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What, exactly, is the purpose of creating this cadre of ubermensch?

edit: nevermind, you apparently don't want to discuss that (gee whiz, I wonder why?).

I don't know the best way to create an elite, and if I did I wouldn't tell you.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by rah

these can not be ignored as part of their education or they will not be elite. They'll be essentially handicapped when placed back into the gen pop.
              I am not saying not allow everything. But the distraction of those three is probably the number one reason why people don't acheive what they are capable of.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

What, exactly, is the purpose of creating this cadre of ubermensch?
                Call it a whim, if you will. Society needs somebody to look up to, and if I get the chance, I'm going to make it happen. Plus, it's something I wish someone would have given me. There is a type of person who takes to things very well when they're formally trained in them, but not so well when they're expected to "pick up" skills or absorb them by osmosis. I am that type of person. Maybe it's to spare others the suffering I had to go through? From the kindness of my heart?

And because I'm a megalomaniac who'd do something like this just for the lulz of knowing that this little order will dominate society for a thousand years after I'm gone?

Originally posted by Arrian

edit: nevermind, you apparently don't want to discuss that (gee whiz, I wonder why?).

I don't know the best way to create an elite, and if I did I wouldn't tell you.

-Arrian
                Now that's just being small-minded.

As it is, I'm not asking for "the best way", I'm asking for your way.

Comment

Come to think of it... isn't this a question of the origins of Hindu Civilisation? It's rather odd, really... a Brahmin asking a bunch of furriners how to create an elite.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

I am not saying not allow everything. But the distraction of those three is probably the number one reason why people don't acheive what they are capable of.

JM
                    I believe mastery of those will assist more in helping people acheive higher goals.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Just read this book

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                        Just read this book

http://www.amazon.com/Overseer-Jonat.../dp/051512558X
                        I saw the review. I don't want an army of footsoldiers, I want a true elite, an individual every single one.

Comment

Originally posted by rah

I believe mastery of those will assist more in helping people acheive higher goals.
                          lol

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Go to a forum on the internets and ask it's denizens to tell you how to make ur kids "elite".

Comment

undistracted by sex/games/entertainment
                              You don't need to sequester them from these, rather you need to teach them to master and use them for their own purposes.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X