Genetic Map of Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Map of Europe

Biologists have constructed a genetic map of Europe showing the degree of relatedness between its various populations.

Skip to next paragraph
    RSS Feed
    Get Science News From The New York Times »
    All the populations are quite similar, but the differences are sufficient that it should be possible to devise a forensic test to tell which country in Europe an individual probably comes from, said Manfred Kayser, a geneticist at the Erasmus University Medical Center in the Netherlands.

The map shows, at right, the location in Europe where each of the sampled populations live and, at left, the genetic relationship between these 23 populations. The map was constructed by Dr. Kayser, Dr. Oscar Lao and others, and appears in an article in Current Biology published on line on August 7.

The genetic map of Europe bears a clear structural similarity to the geographic map. The major genetic differences are between populations of the north and south (the vertical axis of the map shows north-south differences, the horizontal axis those of east-west). The area assigned to each population reflects the amount of genetic variation in it.

Europe has been colonized three times in the distant past, always from the south. Some 45,000 years ago the first modern humans entered Europe from the south. The glaciers returned around 20,000 years ago and the second colonization occurred about 17,000 years ago by people returning from southern refuges. The third invasion was that of farmers bringing the new agricultural technology from the Near East around 10,000 years ago.

The pattern of genetic differences among present day Europeans probably reflects the impact of these three ancient migrations, Dr. Kayser said.

The map also identifies the existence of two genetic barriers within Europe. One is between the Finns (light blue, upper right) and other Europeans. It arose because the Finnish population was at one time very small and then expanded, bearing the atypical genetics of its few founders.

The other is between Italians (yellow, bottom center) and the rest. This may reflect the role of the Alps in impeding free flow of people between Italy and the rest of Europe.

Data for the map were generated by gene chips programmed to test and analyze 500,000 sites of common variation on the human genome, although only the 300,000 most reliable sites were used for the map. Dr. Kayser's team tested almost 2,500 people and analyzed the data by correlating the genetic variations in all the subjects. The genetic map is based on the two strongest of these sets of correlations.

The gene chips require large amounts of DNA, more than is available in most forensic samples. Dr. Kayser hopes to identify the sites on the human genome which are most diagnostic for European origin. These sites, if reasonably few in number, could be tested for in hair and blood samples, Dr. Kayser said.

Genomic sites that carry the strongest signal of variation among populations may be those influenced by evolutionary change, Dr. Kayser said. Of the 100 strongest sites, 17 are found in the region of the genome that confers lactose tolerance, an adaptation that arose among a cattle herding culture in northern Europe some 5,000 years ago. Most people switch off the lactose digesting gene after weaning, but the cattle herders evidently gained a great survival advantage by keeping the gene switched on through adulthood.
    Interesting article... there's a few countries missing so some of my initial thoughts on the subject may be all wrong.

edit: I really wish there was some sort of interactive version where you could hide some countries just so you can make out what's in some of that crowded part of the picture.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

what do Eigenvectors 1 and 2 represent?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

In other words, summary?
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

A united Yugoslavia? How long have they been working on that map?
        -rmsharpe

Comment

All I know is that this proves that finns are not yuropeans.

Comment

Bring Europe closer together. Have sex with Finnish girls.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsharpe
              A united Yugoslavia? How long have they been working on that map?
              dont you know that these separations to serbs and croats was just a manipulation of the evil west?

btw, albanians and bulgarians are missing
              and why are two sets of italians, germans and spaniards??
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

More proof that Finland is Evil!
                Quendelie axan!

Comment

The other is between Italians (yellow, bottom center) and the rest. This may reflect the role of the Alps in impeding free flow of people between Italy and the rest of Europe.
                  This is because whoever made this map picked specific points which are silly.
                  Picking 2 points in the middle of Italy for instance is stupid. Ask any Italian what he thinks of southern Italians (southern starts maybe 50km south of where he lives). Northern Italians and Southern Italians are very different. Had he picked population in the Po valley, they might fight much more with the rest of Europe than this shows.
                  Also, there are MANY French of Italian (and Pole) origin. The searcher picked a single point in one of the largest countries of Europe, also forgetting Belgium along the way.

Had they sampled more points in Italy, they would probably find that people in Italy proper don't mix much north-south-wise, and that it hasn't got anything to do with the Alps.

Worse imo, there is no accounting for the Basques, which tends to ruin the whole thing from my point of view. That's the people, in SW France and NE Spain, who have the highest AB blood type in the world. Their language is totally alien to that of all neighbouring peoples. They are known to be genetically very different from other Europeans, and yet they weren't picked to find out genetic diversity! That's just a very bad sampling of Europe population.

eigenvectors 1 and 2
                  These are the results of a mathematical data treatment, so the 'meaning' is hard to tell. It's jsut the set of data that shows the biggest differences. If you want to know how it's computed, you retrieve a set of data, consider this as a cloud of points in N dimensions, find the 2 axes where the clouds are largest (biggest difference): those are the eigenvectors 1 and 2. Check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princip...nents_analysis or that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_analysis for instance. Both articles are a bit messy though.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I know what a eigenvector is. I just want to know what they are showing in that graph. Does Eigenvector 1 represent breast size and the E2 show hairiness of the pubic region, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by MORON
                      All I know is that this proves that finns are not yuropeans.
                      I think that we can conclude that Finns are not even part of the human race
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Interestingly, Ireland is centred on GB.

More proof that you can try to kick the Brits out of Ireland, but you can't take the Irishness out of Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                          what do Eigenvectors 1 and 2 represent?
                          East-West difference and North-South differences. In Europe northern populations are distinct from each other.

and why are two sets of italians, germans and spaniards??
                          Not sure, but the ES2 is Catalans.

I suspect the small number of points is due to lack of resources. I wonder how they picked people at those points.

I also found the large overlap between Romania, Yugoslavia, and Greece interesting.

Also I notice IT1 overlaps with Romania, Portugal, France, Spain, and Yugoslavia. IT2 doesn't. The pop of IT2 is also more diverse. Greater diversity generally means an older population, but it can also mean a lot of immigrants over the years.

Also interestingly enough the Romanian population has two almost distinct bubbles in the same location. I suspect the bigger part is the native population and the other one is some invader at some point that got assimilated.

I'd really like to see where Bulgaria, the Ukraine, Russia, and Turkey fit in.
                          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                            Interestingly, Ireland is centred on GB.

More proof that you can try to kick the Brits out of Ireland, but you can't take the Irishness out of Britain.
                            That's old news I thought. I remember some BBC Science article talking about how conventional wisdom had said that the Anglo-Saxons had pushed the previous population out, but genetic evidence just seemed to indicate that the old population was instead assimilated culturally and absorbed.

I suspect that the big overlap in the Romanian, Yugoslav, and Greek populations is due to a similar effect. The old population of those areas being assimilated cultural, but remaining the original inhabitants of the area from a genetic standpoint. I mean there's almost total overlap between the Yugoslav population (Serbian?) and Greece and huge overlap between Romanians and Greeks. Neither of those seem to be explained by any sort of conventional history or nationalist propaganda.

edit: I'm also vaguely curious where the Gypsies fit in. There seems to be some mystery as to their origins, though I think the current thought is that they're from India? Genetics might be able to sort that out.
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Where are the ex-USSR countries and Bulgaria and Slovakia?
                              Well, Slovaks are like Czechs, so not a big loss there...
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X