• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops! City uses photo of wrong Birmingham

Attention to detail means so much.

Britain's 2nd-largest city distributes leaflets with image of U.S. namesake

updated 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
    LONDON - Britain's second-largest city, Birmingham, has a new skyline — only it belongs to its Alabama namesake.

Birmingham City Council distributed 720,000 leaflets that praised residents for exceeding recycling targets, carrying a message that read: "Thank You Birmingham." The message appeared stamped across a photograph of the city's skyline. But the photo was not of Birmingham, England, but of Birmingham, Alabama.

It's the second time British officials have mistakenly used images of Birmingham, Alabama. Three lawmakers who represent Birmingham at the European Parliament accidentally used a picture of the U.S. city on their Internet site in January.

"I would have thought the council would take more care," said Birmingham resident Jon Cooper. "I can't believe no one at the town hall noticed."

Britain's Birmingham is famed for its modernist Bullring shopping mall, with its distinctive metallic curved exterior and an extensive network of canals, churches and historical buildings.

‘Human error’
    The Alabama city's skyline includes the Wachovia Tower, University of Alabama buildings and skyscrapers.

Officials said the wrong image was selected from an Internet photo archive.

"It's human error," said Birmingham City Council spokesman Kris Kowalewski. "We accept that the wrong photo was used, but the text and detail contained in the leaflet is wholly correct."

Many similarities
    While the cities have wildly different skylines, there are many similarities between the two — not least a proud industrial heritage.

Birmingham, Alabama — known as the Magic City because of its rapid 20th century growth — was founded on its steel industry. It took its name from the British manufacturing city known for making Jaguar cars and Cadburys chocolate. Both now have growing financial services sectors.

Both cities also share a history of racial tension. In Alabama, Birmingham was a center of 1960s civil rights protests by black Americans.

In Britain, Birmingham has struggled with divisions between black and South Asian communities, which led to violent riots in the 1980s and in 2005.

The British city — whose sister city is Chicago — has a population of 1 million. The Alabama city's population is roughly 230,000.

In Alabama, the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce didn't immediately respond to calls for comment Thursday.
    Birmingham, England is only 4 times larger. Personally, I can understand the mistake, again.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Nice find, Sloww.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Officials said the wrong image was selected from an Internet photo archive.

Unbelievable!

Comment

Phoh, why didn't the yanks chance their city names, when they ceseeded from the Empire? There's like a million Yorks there, and Petersburgs... Well, that's russian, but still...
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Oh, that's a good excuse. My father was born in New Castle, Texas, population 619. Can we expect another mistake?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

my father's hometown is named "new castle" in greek
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
              Phoh, why didn't the yanks chance their city names, when they ceseeded from the Empire? There's like a million Yorks there, and Petersburgs... Well, that's russian, but still...
              Because they were emigrants who wanted a taste of home? Duh?

You're welcome.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

They shouldn't've hired FrostyBoy
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                  [Texan mode]
                  We whomped them. We get to keep their friggin' names.
                  [/Texan mode]

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                    They shouldn't've hired FrostyBoy
                    QFT ... exactly what I was thinking
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Boo
                      Boo
                      Boo.
                      -rmsharpe

Comment

One similarity the article failed to note is that neither is place that you'd really like to go
                        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

QFT ... exactly what I was thinking
                          Me too.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Hey! I'm pretty thorough with my research for whatever I am designing!

But this just goes to show how easy it is to make a mistake. I bet this happens all the time, just like when Russia used an American warship in one of its proud Russian propaganda.

The problem with designers when searching for images, is that they're always looking for the nicest looking photo, and I bet when they saw that one, they thought "Hey that's a real nice one!" and used it without blinking. That's not what I do! I make sure I get it right!

When it comes to Apolyton, I couldn't give a **** though.
                            be free

Comment

Mistakes
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X