Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I hear the air is so thick in Beijing you can break a knife in it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I hear the air is so thick in Beijing you can break a knife in it...

My stepdad has been watching the Olympics today and remarked about an interesting background shot NBC keeps getting when they have Brian Williams on. Behind him is the Bird's Nest stadium and enveloping everything the eye beholds is a thick shroud of cotton candy. Yummy, and I'm sure it's great for respiratory health. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, China not making good on keeping its sweet vapors at bay. I'm just surprised China is allowing them to show such a shot of such healthy, lightly-scented (like cherry blossoms and baby powder) air.

Edited by the People's Republic of China
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

You were hoping for China to not make good on cleaining up it's pollution for the Games?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Ehrm, maybe not the best thread title

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

US tourist dies in Beijing attack
      Police and foreign officials at the Drum Tower in Beijing, China
      Police were soon at the scene of the crime

A US tourist has been stabbed to death by a Chinese man in central Beijing, officials have said.

A second tourist was badly hurt in the attack at the Drum Tower monument. The pair are relatives of a US Olympic volleyball team coach.

The assailant then committed suicide by jumping from the 13th Century landmark, officials say. The motive is not known.

The BBC's Quentin Sommerville says murders, especially targeting foreigners, are very rare in China.

The attack happened despite high security across the capital on the first full day of Olympic competition, with more than 150,000 police and other personnel on patrol.

Officials named the Chinese man as 47-year-old Tang Yongming, from the eastern town of Hangzhou, but said they had no idea what had motivated his attack or suicide.

"While at the Drum Tower in central Beijing, the two family members were stabbed during an attack by what local law enforcement authorities have indicated was a lone assailant," the International Olympic Committee said in a statement.

Reports say the tourists' guide was also hurt.

On the scene

The attack happened at the popular tourist attraction some three miles (5km) from the main Olympics site, at around midday local time.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
        You were hoping for China to not make good on cleaining up it's pollution for the Games?
        Yes, to highlight just how polluted they've become and how much they really don't care about the problem. Once the Olympics are over, Beijing will go right back to choking to death and the factories and coal plants will return as if they never left. China's failed propaganda about its environmental mismanagement should be on display for all the world to see while all eyes are on Beijing (or at least most, some are rightfully on the Caucus Mountains where people are being shot rather than suffocating). NBC seems to be helping in that regard. I've been angry over the decision to award the games to Beijing since 2001, and just knew they were just (pardon the pun) blowing so much smoke up everyone's asses. I knew they'd never make a serious effort to deal with the problem long-term and as such put thousands of foreign visitors and athletes at risk. I knew they'd find some opportunity to crackdown hard on some group, bolstering their Human Rights abuse record, to avoid "embarrassing" moments of national disunity. I knew that they'd filter a lot of press coverage, particularly Internet, despite assurances and blah blah here have some money and pretend we'll do all these great and wonderful things in the spirit of the Olympics and whatever else we have to pay lip-service to in order to get the games.

I want China shamed and embarrassed on a global stage. It may be the push their people need to get their government to ACTUALLY deal with that country's problems, rather than sweeping them under the propaganda rug. It's the only way since working from within in gets violently put down.

And BC, it's an unfortunate coincidence, but I'm sticking with my punny title.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

You use so many cliches. Just stop talking.

Comment

Wiglaf is using French words. Use Freedom words.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

EDIT: Joke that didn't work. Removing from sense of shame.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I like a man with standards.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  And I like you, because you have a good heart
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I had a joke in response to this, but didn't post it because it was pretty terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I had a joke in response to this, but didn't post it because it was pretty terrible.
                      and this makes you a good man as well

Comment

Not really. RAH and/or Ming would have banned him for crimes against good taste.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Re: So I hear the air is so thick in Beijing you can break a knife in it...

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                          My stepdad has been watching the Olympics today and remarked about an interesting background shot NBC keeps getting when they have Brian Williams on. Behind him is the Bird's Nest stadium
                          In response, I believe it was on History Channel, I was extremely impressed by what it took to construction this facility, Amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                            Not really. RAH and/or Ming would have banned him for crimes against good taste.
                            Ohhhhhh....

Comment

Wiglaf is using French words. Use Freedom words.
                              Cliche is not french you buffoon. Columbus popularized the word after he came from Britain and discovered the Galapagos. One of his ships in his entourage was the Nina and the other was the clichet and the other was the marriet (it rhymes, easy to remember). The Clichet was overweight and sank like everyone expected it to. He sighed and told the male bondsman (not what it sounds like, back then people knew where to put the schlong) that it was such a Cliche that the Clichet sank. No one on the ship had heard of the big word and it caught on. Maybe it's a french word in origin but it's British owned, and while I have no respect for the British at least they do what they are told. I am going to go get drunk now so don't bother calling me a nerd, I study hard and party hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X