Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreement reached to impeach President

....Perv of Pakistan

ISLAMABAD (AFP) - Pakistan faced fresh political turmoil on Thursday after party sources said the country's ruling coalition had agreed to impeach President Pervez Musharraf, a vital US ally in the "war on terror."
    ADVERTISEMENT

The agreement came after three days of marathon talks between coalition leaders Asif Ali Zardari, the widower of slain former premier Benazir Bhutto, and Nawaz Sharif, another former prime minister.

"The coalition parties have agreed in principle to launch an impeachment motion against President Musharraf," one of the senior coalition sources told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Musharraf's spokesman was not immediately available for comment but officials said he had again delayed his departure to Beijing, where he was to attend to the opening of the Olympic Games on Friday.

Spokesmen for the two main parties in the coalition said a formal announcement was due to be made later Thursday.

Musharraf seized power in a military coup in October 1999 and ruled nuclear-armed Pakistan for eight years with the backing of the United States, which has counted him as a key ally since the September 11 attacks.

But his popularity slumped after he ousted the country's chief justice and imposed a state of emergency in November 2007 to prevent challenges to his re-election as president.

Musharraf stepped down as army chief that month, and the parties of Bhutto and Sharif then trounced his allies in general elections in February.

Coalition sources said the agreement to impeach came when Sharif assured Zardari late on Wednesday that he could count on the support of some former members of the PML-N who are currently members of a pro-Musharraf party.

"There was a major breakthrough in the talks late last night. We have agreed to impeach the president," a senior member of former premier Nawaz Sharif's Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party said.

An official from Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party, now led by her widower Zardari, confirmed the decision.

The parties have also agreed to restore judges sacked by Musharraf under emergency rule but were still working out the details, the party sources said.

They said that a charge sheet on Musharraf's position and performance as president would be drawn up and submitted to parliament to be signed by at least half of all MPs in the coming days.

The speaker of the national assembly, or lower house of parliament, would then notify Musharraf and ask him to defend his position within seven to 15 days, they said.

The national assembly is currently in recess but party officials said that any impeachment motion could initially be launched in the senate or upper house.

Television channels reported that the government was set to recall the national assembly as early as next week.

The coalition had been split by the twin issues of what to do about Musharraf and how to carry out their pledge to reinstate the judges.

The rift had effectively paralysed the government, which is under huge US pressure over its efforts to negotiate with Taliban and Al-Qaeda militants. It is also facing public anger over rising food and fuel prices.

Discuss.
    Blah

I wouldn't say he's vital. In fact he's a hinderence. Everyone knows Al Qaeda is using Pakistan's tribal areas as a safe haven and the Pakistani government refuses to do anything about it because it is afraid of civil war. Screw that. The US needs to go in and take what ever measures necissary to secure the tribal regions, yes, they will resist and that's why every means necissary has to be on the table. If it takes destroying whole cities a la WW2 then I'm for it.

Just last week the US bomb killed four al qaeda includning the guy who masterminded the USS Cole attack inside Pakistan. Of course Pakistan protested the US bombing of their territory but if Pakistan can't control it's territory then it isn't much of a government, is it?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Still, dropping bombs on the territory of a country without official concent of the government of said country is called war.
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

They can either police their own territory of terrorist groups, which they've refused to do, or we can do it but we won't let Al Qaeda just sit back in a safe haven plotting to kill more Americans. If they want to declare war on the world's last super power then they're free to do that but they won't win.

Essentially they get to take it up the rear because there is nothing they can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          The US needs to go in and take what ever measures necissary to secure the tribal regions, yes, they will resist and that's why every means necissary has to be on the table. If it takes destroying whole cities a la WW2 then I'm for it.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

For Al Qaeda I take out all the stops.

Comment

When will the military intervene?
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                For Al Qaeda I take out all the stops.
                It's this "we should do what we want and screw everyone else" attitude that some Americans have that is causing a lot of the growing anti-Americanism in the rest of the world. (I know a lot of Americans don't feel this way)

Comment

Impeachment

yes, they will resist and that's why every means necissary has to be on the table. If it takes destroying whole cities a la WW2 then I'm for it.

Are you trying to provide a justification for more terrorist attacks? After all, leveling cities would be worse than leveling a couple of skyscrapers.

And its kind of dumb to "destroy whole cities" of a nuclear power.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, technically they're a landlocked nuclear power, and I doubt they have missiles that can travel half the globe, so we wouldn't be in much DIRECT danger, but I would avoid the whole salt-the-earth approach, yes.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Landlocked?

Besides, as we've been told, all it takes is a suitcase nuke.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I didn't know Pakistan had a harbor they could launch a sub or aircraft carrier from. Bear in mind that I'm talking out my butt here.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          I didn't know Pakistan had a harbor they could launch a sub or aircraft carrier from. Bear in mind that I'm talking out my butt here.
                          You have heard of the city of Karachi, I hope?

Comment

It seems that I remember that China may be helping build a deep water port at Gwadar?

The U.S. needs to be working politically to get whatever government is in Pakistan to be on our side. It would be a disaster to go to war with Pakistan.

Pakistan may not be in the same league as the U.S., but they are no third world military.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

And they have nukes...
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                              X