Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hadn't heard of this either...
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I dunno the hate on Cincy chili. Its actually pretty tasty.

Cincinnati chili sauce contains finely ground beef, seasoned with a mixture of spices. Vegetarians have the option of substituting beans and rice for meat. Some aficionados report a distinct hint of cinnamon and sometimes even chocolate. However, the precise identity of other spices is hard to determine. The flavor of Cincinnati chili is distinct from that of the more widely recognized Texas-style chili, and differs from that variety too in its thin consistency, which makes it more suitable as a sauce for other dishes than as a dish by itself. This distinctiveness makes the chili a greatly missed delicacy among many former Cincinnati-area residents.

When served over spaghetti, the chili is typically topped by a large mountain of shredded mild cheddar cheese (as much as will fit on top without it falling over the sides). Because of the large amount of cheese piled on top, the first few bites often consist entirely of cheese, at least for inexperienced diners. The serving method is based on (and is ordered in restaurants by) a traditional code. A "one-way" would be a bowl of chili only, but it is almost never ordered this way. A "two-way" is spaghetti topped with chili only. More typically, the chili is ordered as a "three-way" (noodles, sauce, and cheese only), "four-way" (with added red kidney beans or chopped raw white onions), or "five-way" (with added beans and onions). "Inverted" is the request to place the cheese under the chili so it melts.[citation needed] "Wet" is the request for extra chili over the spaghetti. Dixie Chili offers a unique "six-way" with all of the above ingredients, plus chopped garlic. Blue Ash Chili also offers a "six-way;" the sixth ingredient in their six-way is jalapeno 'bottlecaps'.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        I dunno the hate on Cincy chili. Its actually pretty tasty.

Cincinnati chili sauce contains finely ground beef, seasoned with a mixture of spices. Vegetarians have the option of substituting beans and rice for meat. Some aficionados report a distinct hint of cinnamon and sometimes even chocolate. However, the precise identity of other spices is hard to determine. The flavor of Cincinnati chili is distinct from that of the more widely recognized Texas-style chili, and differs from that variety too in its thin consistency, which makes it more suitable as a sauce for other dishes than as a dish by itself. This distinctiveness makes the chili a greatly missed delicacy among many former Cincinnati-area residents.

When served over spaghetti, the chili is typically topped by a large mountain of shredded mild cheddar cheese (as much as will fit on top without it falling over the sides). Because of the large amount of cheese piled on top, the first few bites often consist entirely of cheese, at least for inexperienced diners. The serving method is based on (and is ordered in restaurants by) a traditional code. A "one-way" would be a bowl of chili only, but it is almost never ordered this way. A "two-way" is spaghetti topped with chili only. More typically, the chili is ordered as a "three-way" (noodles, sauce, and cheese only), "four-way" (with added red kidney beans or chopped raw white onions), or "five-way" (with added beans and onions). "Inverted" is the request to place the cheese under the chili so it melts.[citation needed] "Wet" is the request for extra chili over the spaghetti. Dixie Chili offers a unique "six-way" with all of the above ingredients, plus chopped garlic. Blue Ash Chili also offers a "six-way;" the sixth ingredient in their six-way is jalapeno 'bottlecaps'.

For me its not so much hate as an oddity to my previous experiences

I love cinnamon on toast,strudel,apple pie and many associated treats but for chili, just would seem to take away from the desired taste, but thats a small opinion

Originally posted by DanQ
        I hadn't heard of this either...
        Sums it up nicely
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

If you hadn't had cinnamon with lamb (as the Moroccans and other Middle Easterners like), you haven't lived.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            If you hadn't had cinnamon with lamb (as the Moroccans and other Middle Easterners like), you haven't lived.

Well, sound interesting........maybe one day
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              Q: How does a large pizza differ from a drummer?

A: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

I think I need to send this one to all of my drummer friends.
              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I hate cinnamon. Americans put it in too many foods. Its like the Swedes with fennel, that used to drive me crazy too.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Turns out, it's not open yet.........

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Cinnamon in chili? Sound silly, but when you loud up with onions, mustard, and cheese, it's awesome! To be fair, Cincinnati chili is a condiment, not a meal. It goes on top hot dogs and spaghetti. And it's good. Real good. Too my surprise, there's a Skyline chili place down here in Fort Liquordale.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      They have a lot of stores but I have never been to one. I wish there was good pizza around here.

Cincinnati seems to take everything and make it suck. The pizza sauce around here (Larosas) is crap, too much sugar. And then they take spaghetti sauce, add cinnamon and call it chili (this confuses me), and Frisch's Big Boy is nasty crap (unless you want an all you can eat bacon and sausage breakfast bar)...
                      {Off topic alert}
                      There are more pizza joints in Cincy than LaRosa's. None of the national chains float your boat?

Imran gets Cincy chili...yeah, it's not actually chili, take it for what it is, not what it's called. (And obviously, it is still possible to think it isn't good, even realizing it's more Greek spaghetti than chili.)

And all you can eat bacon sounds good, except Frisch's bacon sucks ass. How the bloody heck do you screw up bacon? And there actually is good variety on the breakfast bar, though I would agree the quality (of the breakfast) is awful.

How about Montgomery Inn? Not an everyday sort of meal, but do you like that, or is just another case of Cincy needing to get out and learn what real food is?

Oh, and I don't like pizza (crazy, I know) so I can't point you to any hidden gems for pizza in Cincy (though there may not be any.)

Summation: It's partially about what you grow up with. What you think is making everything suck is what I crave. I'm trapped in Memphis, and every time I come back home, I spend like $200 on food (never mind what the rest of my family spends.)
                      {end off topic alert}
                      You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Working...
                      X