Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can't We Have Republicans Like This Anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Can't We Have Republicans Like This Anymore?

Excerpt from Eisenhower's "Cross of Iron" speech

By President Eisenhower

This has been the way of life forged by 8 years of fear and force.

What can the world, or any nation in it, hope for if no turning is found on this dread road?

The worst to be feared and the best to be expected can be simply stated.

The worst is atomic war.

The best would be this: a life of perpetual fear and tension; a burden of arms draining the wealth and the labor of all peoples; a wasting of strength that defies the American system or the Soviet system or any system to achieve true abundance and happiness for the peoples of this earth.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms in not spending money alone.

It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities.

It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population.

It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals.

It is some 50 miles of concrete highway.

We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat.

We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people.

This, I repeat, is the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking.

This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

These plain and cruel truths define the peril and point the hope that come with this spring of 1953.

This is one of those times in the affairs of nations when the gravest choices must be made, if there is to be a turning toward a just and lasting peace.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Two words: Colin Powell.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

That was the utopia the communists made for us

Why, WHY che, do you long for this that world
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Two words: Colin Powell.
        Until he let himself be Bush's b!tch.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Oh, he didn't let himself be anyone's ***** He left the administration relatively quickly, after all, once he no longer was absolutely needed... and I suspect his sense of duty is the reason he stayed as long as he did.

Wasn't he essentially kicked out for being too anti-Bush, anyhow?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Question: How many History channel documentaries can you make about houses and power plants?

Answer: More than I'd care to watch. More explosions PLZ!
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Until he let himself be Bush's b!tch.
              Go watch Batman some more, you have wet the bed for the last time.

Comment

"Oh, he didn't let himself be anyone's ***** He left the administration relatively quickly, after all, once he no longer was absolutely needed... and I suspect his sense of duty is the reason he stayed as long as he did."

He should have resigned if his sense of duty kicked in.
                "

Comment

Che, why don't you implement Eisehowers dream locally ? Go into politics and disband all police forces in Florida (admit it, it's your wet dream - after all they don't do anything but harass peacefull people).
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

He was referring to unnecessary military expenditures. And the reason is b/c the neocons, militant Xians, and their unthinking, uncaring followers have destroyed the real conservative movement and replaced it with our current anti-democratic, authoritarian one.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Is that conspiarcy more than 50 years old and first revealed through bushys actions ?
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Aren't there some pregnant homeless immigrant women waiting for you to heckle them in Daneland?
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                          Aren't there some pregnant homeless immigrant women waiting for you to heckle them in Daneland?
                          Nope, we don't have such - guess that it's a yankystan only issue.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Believe me, chegitz, you're not the only one looking for more Republicans like Ike.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              Che, why don't you implement Eisehowers dream locally ? Go into politics and disband all police forces in Florida (admit it, it's your wet dream - after all they don't do anything but harass peacefull people).
                              Che's running for Congress.

Anyway... yeah, it's easy to look back and like Ike, isn't it? The man had some interesting things to say. I get the warm fuzzies for the 'ole fella.

How do you get everyone to lay down the weapons? It's a nice dream, and I'm all for it... but it only works if we all stand down. Not just the big bad US of A. Not just those tricksey Rooskies or Chinese. Not just Islamist terrorists. Everybody. At a minimum, it requires that all peoples come to an agreement for a system of dispute resolution that doesn't involve bombs. Which, if you work it out, means a World Government... that everyone needs to agree to join. Until that time, as much as it sucks, states are going to have armies. And we're all going to have to pay for them and serve in them if (it is deemed) necessary.

So, in the end, wasn't Ike just howlin' at the moon?

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X