To kill or not to kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To kill or not to kill

It's a Parson Spider, on my wall. According to the information I can find it is not poisonous but the bite can painful and can cause swelling/irritation/etc. Also it's a ground spider, what the **** it's doing on my wall I don't know, it hunts at night running around on the ground.

Problem there is that I enjoy sleeping on the floor, as odd as it may seem it's more comfortable to me than a bed (it's a lot cooler). Naturally I don't want to get bitten. Fortunately for Mr Parson I am reading about Ghandi.

This raised an interesting question for me though. In the religions/ideologies where the killing of any creature is frowned upon how do you justify killing a creature that can potentially kill you?

Pretend Mr Parson were a black widow, which we have tons of here, or maybe even a brown recluse. Or maybe even replace him with a mouse which carry hantavirus and plague here.

Is a person expected to coexist peacefully with such threats, or go so far as to move away from them? What if you have little kids or are living with an elderly parent?

Kill that scum, kill the bastard. Ghandi was a loser, I've already stated this multiple times, pajama wearing yogurt eating punk who almost got his people killed because he was such an egoistic *****.

Now, kill that scum. Stab it and eat it. Hunt it down and show that scum, that he just entered your premises without permission, crime punishable by death.

Do it. DIe MF Die MF Dieee!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

WTFp Said
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'm not ashamed to say it, I'm afraid of spiders. a beast like that would seriously put me into discomfort. I could NOT sleep at all, I'd probably jump somewhere high, to a chair, even though it's not rational, I know it wouldn't attack me on the ground, it would escape. But I'm afraid of spiders.

But once I'm up there, the first thing I start to do is figure out how to kill that little ****. Even as I'm afraid, one thing is on my mind and that is to kill that spider into death. Then, I'd muster up courage, to get down and to hunt it. With that a bit of afraid attitude that leads to a total overkill. I have no mercy for spiders. In fact I smash them to pieces, they do not live through it, they will not die in one piece. When a spider encounters me, they are known to be hacked into pieces. Is it their price to pay for ever encountering me.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

i've never understood how grown men could be scared of spiders.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'd say, adios. Buh-bye.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
              i've never understood how grown men could be scared of spiders.
              It's not a rational fear, I know they can't hurt me, I know they are more scared of me, However I can't help but have a near panic attcak when I first see one and beliebve me I see them before anyone else.

I have managed to get to a level of near panic attack, it used to be a full on screeming hebejebbes though
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Unless suprised by one, I usually don't fear spiders.
                  The only exceptions was once I was remodeling a house with a buddy and we ripping off some facia on an older home and about a 100 brown recluses came pouring out of the newly exposed area. I almost jumped/fell off the scafolding.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: To kill or not to kill

[SIZE=1]
                    This raised an interesting question for me though. In the religions/ideologies where the killing of any creature is frowned upon how do you justify killing a creature that can potentially kill you?

If your beliefs do not allow the killing of another creature, then you have no issue - you are not allowed to kill anything, under any circumstances. Should you be killed by something, then you have taken the next step upon the circle of life.

If you beliefs frown upon the killing of another creature, then you have a judgement call to make.
                    Case A) Is this creature likely to attack me even if I do not provoke it?
                    Case B) Is this creature likely to attempt escape if I provoke it?

In case a, your belief system should allow you to take lethal action without causing moral pain. In case b, your belief system would guide you to practice something like "catch and release".

Comment

Kill. Kill it dead.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I usually catch spiders and then place them outside. Sometimes I end up catching the same one multiple times.

Comment

Take it outside. That is what I do when a spider gets too big in my room.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                            It's not a rational fear, I know they can't hurt me
                            Spiders can and do kill people. Most aren't poisonous. But you never know.

I'm pretty sure it's a survival instinct/fear.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I found a spider in my car last night. I crushed it, and its ass exploded. I felt it and heard it. Mucho satisfying.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X