No announcement yet.

New Yorker's new cover: satire or slur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five dollars says the New Yorker endorses Obama.
    Any takers?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The same way Phil Gramm endorses McCain
      or Jesse Jackson endorses Obama?

Dear Lord, protect us from our friends.

Comment

Hey, man. This is now Bizzaro World. Hello, I must be leaving.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          What is sarcastic about it, exactly...
          It's sarcastic because Obama isn't Muslim, his wife isn't a terrorist, they aren't anti-American, and they don't worship Osama Bin Laden. At least I hope not.

Just because something is satire, or sarcastic doesn't mean it contains humor.

Comment

I agree with Snoopy and Space on this.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hah. I win!
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Satire is supposed to be funny. Only idiots would find the cover funny. It's a stupid cover.

I don't consider it a slur or satire, just stupid.
                  To be fair the picture went well with the main article.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Did Obama put a Jihad on The New Yorker? If not, it's satire.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'd expect the New Yorker to be a lot more subtle. They should be fined five glasses of white wine and a case of brie for this wooden attempt at cleverness.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Heavy-handed satire is crap.

If they wanted to use such a blunt approach to it, they might as well have turned him into a full-on thick-lipped minstrel caricature, and pictured him on his porch in dungarees eating watermelon, while rolling his eyes fearfully.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          Everything on the cover is an echo of some slur already passed around by psycho-rightwingers. Merely repeating something is not satire. It's merely repeating the lies.
                          Indeed.
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Let's hope noone is burning down American embassies for this
                            Blah

Comment

Satire is supposed to be funny. Only idiots would find the cover funny. It's a stupid cover.
                              QFT
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Satire, poorly done.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X