It's official, I'm a Moron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Che,

Look, a principled stand for your rights is good and all, but in the end, is it worth not making that bus? Honest question - maybe, maybe not, I figure.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I guess it depends if your morals are more important than results. I feel the road to hell was paved with compromised results.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Perhaps so. It depends on how important it is to you to refuse the officer's request to search your vehicle.

Che obviously felt that it was important for him to refuse. I might* have taken the opportunity to show the officer that not all long-hair commie types are driving around with narcotics. Maybe that's worth something. Refusing probably just made him think Che was guilty.

On the other hand, I agree that keeping rights entails sticking up for them.

-Arrian

edit: * on the other hand, I can be a stubborn SOB at times, and it's entirely possible I'd have told him no too.
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I was joking... I would rather get to the results and compromise my scruples, certain ones at least. Mainly because I like to feel that I conquered the obstacles "despite" not "in spite". As long as you keep letting the man knock you down he will keep doing so. What could have been an inconvenience to Che became a roadblock, and insurmountable one at that.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

While in theory I agree that you should also always stand up for your rights, sometimes it's just stupid and it's probably best to be meek and comply.

It's like a black man in the old south standing up to the sheriff. Sometimes it's not worth it. You can always fight it after the fact when you have witnesses to miminize any personal jepeordy.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I was going to wait either way. The only difference is I wouldn't have been subjected to the dog-and-pony show of him walking the dog around my car three or four times. I still would have had to wait for another police car to show up and then wait while my car was searched. I would have saved maybe five minutes by allowing him to search.

Plus, I knew there weren't any drugs in the car (cuz I don't do them anymore, and haven't for years). So I wasn't worried about the dog. Forgot about the Manwiches on the front seat.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

My buddy thought the same thing but after 90 minutes of searching they found 3 seeds that must have been there for 4 or 5 years and then the harassing really began. The judge eventually threw it out, but not after a lot of time and money had been wasted.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That was the only worry, as it is a used car. I know I've never transported drugs in it.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

wouldn't that have been precious.

Look, jim, we found some trace white powder.

Epecially for cars rented in Florida.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

My old boss likes to tell the story about how he got pulled over in Indiana for alleged drug trafficing. At the time he was into weight lifting and instead of toting around his protein powder he would put it plastic bags... Oh, and he is a chemist... and apparently the test they perform is to mix it with something and if turns red than they assume it's a narcotic... and his favorite flavor was cherry... but this time he had orange!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                        I do remember driving through TEXAS back in the 70's. It was back in the hippy days and my friend and I both had quite long hair. We stopped at a gas station and the attendant, who was about our age, took one look at us and suggested (quite firmly) that it would best if we were all the way into New Mexico before the sun set.
                        Gotta love those free thinkers in TEXAS.
                        Did you reroute your trip via Omaha?
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

wd Che

Comment

Turkey actually has luxury bus lines -- tons of leg room, wide leather seats, etc. So does Malaysia, though Turkey's are nicer.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

My one bus experience is off sitting next to an old geezer who either yammered on or slept, drooling all over the place. It isn't based off sitting next to a slut that loved giving head.
                              I may be biased, so may another.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I once rode a buss from Athens to Bucharest... oh God, why do they smoke sooo much
                                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X