No announcement yet.

21% of American atheists don't know what "atheist" means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would still make the argument that an impersonal force isn't the same as a deity. One could make the argument that the laws of physics are an impersonal force.

I don't really like to get into the semantics of religious debates anymore because the true believers are going to believe and the atheists won't and no one's convincing the other side any time soon.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Looking at the data, I would have to agree with Elok's interpretation.

Looking at the other religions, the classifications of "Personal God," "Impersonal force," and "other/don't know" seem more to do with how you classify God. Look for example at Christians of all types vs. religious but non-Christians - Christians, whom are huge into personal salvation, overwhelmingly say a "Personal God" while majorities of the others say "impersonal force."

I think many people who self-classified as Aethists have the same misunderstanding of Aethism as Elok and other people on this board do who continually claim Aethism to be a religion of sorts.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Or it's just because some aetheists want to separate themselves from the aetheist loonies, so they can more easily criticize all religionistas based on the behavior of only the religionista loonies.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I suspect it would make more sense to compare numbers for atheists vs. monotheists vs. polytheists vs. whatever.

Atheism doesn't really have clearly delineated sects. (Though I suspect there are some religions that by virtue of lacking a deity could fall under atheism.)
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

No, its because 79% of people who classify themselves as Aethists do know what that word means.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis

Atheism doesn't really have clearly delineated sects. (Though I suspect there are some religions that by virtue of lacking a deity could fall under atheism.)
              Since aethism isn't a religion, it can't have 'sects.'

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                No, its because 79% of people who classify themselves as Aethists do know what that word means.
                Language evolves, perhaps it is you who doesn't know what the word means now.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This is lending credence to my first theory.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    Language evolves, perhaps it is you who doesn't know what the word means now.
                    Not in this case.

Originally posted by DaShi

This is lending credence to my first theory.
                    You would make anything lend credence to your own theory.

People who not only don't believe in deities but who are driven to try to disprove there being any dieties should best be thought as Antitheist.

Comment

Not in this case.

You would make anything lend credence to your own theory.

People who not only don't believe in deities but who are driven to try to disprove there being any dieties should best be thought as Antitheist.
                      But you don't get to decide what words mean.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It can be, or it can be the absence of one. Really, replace the word sects with something that implies groups of people sharing a belief system or worldview that isn't religious in nature . As I said, I hate semantic debates combined with theology.
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

As I said, I hate semantic debates combined with theology.
                          I love them. They get aetheists' knickers in a twist.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It can be, or it can be the absence of one.
                            No, it can't, anymore than polytheism can be called a religion. A religion can be monotheistic, polytheistic, even aetheistic, but monotheism, polytheism, and aetheism are just stances on a single idea (existance of diety(ies)), not worldviews.

posted by Dashi
                            But you don't get to decide what words mean
                            No, that happens by consensus. Even if I were to accept your view, there is clearly no consensus as to the correct meaning and thus I can argue for the maintenance of a clearly defined one free of poor logic.

Comment

No, that happens by consensus. Even if I were to accept your view, there is clearly no consensus as to the correct meaning and thus I can argue for the maintenance of a clearly defined one free of poor logic.
                              Yes, you can argue for it, but you can't claim it.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Anyone can claim unclaimed land.

Comment

Working...
                                X