Hypocrites and American politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypocrites and American politics

They usually go hand-in-hand, so this article should not shock anyone. Some of the same people who are denouncing what they call an indecent and deragatory attack on McCain were same people who participated in such attacks against Kerry's honorable military service in 2004 presidential campaign.

Swiftboating McCain??

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 13 minutes ago

HARRISBURG, Pa. - Democrat Barack Obama rejected a retired general's suggestion that Republican John McCain's military experience didn't necessarily qualify him to be president, as GOP surrogates lined up to label the remarks indecent and disrespectful.

ADVERTISEMENT

A day after retired Army Gen. Wesley Clark, now an Obama supporter, discussed McCain's experience as a Navy pilot and prisoner of war in Vietnam on a Sunday talk show, his remarks set off the pattern that has become familiar from innumerable earlier flaps over surrogate remarks during the presidential election year: The candidates, Obama and McCain, took the high road while the bare-knuckled language was left to their surrogates.

At a news conference here Monday, McCain himself said of Clark's comment, "That kind of thing is unnecessary" and distracts from real pocketbook issues voters care about.

About the same time, Obama told an audience in Independence, Mo., that McCain had "endured physical torment in service to our country" and "no one should ever devalue that service, especially for the sake of a political campaign, and that goes for supporters on both sides."

The latest dustup began on CBS' "Face the Nation." Clark, the former supreme commander of NATO under Bill Clinton, said McCain's military service was not the same as executive experience.

"In the matters of national security policy making, it's a matter of understanding risk," Clark said "It's a matter of gauging your opponents, and it's a matter of being held accountable. John McCain's never done any of that in his official positions. I certainly honor his service as a prisoner of war. He was a hero to me and to hundreds of thousands and millions of others in the armed forces, as a prisoner of war.

"He has been a voice on the Senate Armed Services Committee and he has traveled all over the world, but he hasn't held executive responsibility," Clark said. "That large squadron in the Navy that he commanded — that wasn't a wartime squadron."

Clark has said as much before, but drew little notice. CBS moderator Bob Schieffer cited Clark's earlier remarks and noted that Obama hadn't had those experiences either nor had he ridden in a fighter plane and been shot down. "Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.

Clark stood by his remarks Monday. He issued a statement commending McCain's military service but insisting that his criticism stood.

"John McCain is running his campaign on his experience and how his experience would benefit him and our nation as president. That experience shows courage and commitment to our country — but it doesn't include executive experience wrestling with national policy or go-to-war decisions," Clark said. "And in this area his judgment has been flawed — he not only supported going into a war we didn't have to fight in Iraq, but has time and again undervalued other, nonmilitary elements of national power that must be used effectively to protect America."

At least five Republican senators and retired military officers — four on a conference call arranged by McCain's campaign — cried foul Monday, particularly over Clark's last line.

"I was utterly shocked," Sen. John Warner, R-Va., told the conference call, "... that he would in such a disrespectful way attack one of his fellow career military officers."

"Beyond comprehension ... further erosion of our nation's political discourse," said former Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., in a written statement.

"Complete silliness," retired Navy Lt. Cmdr. Carl Smith said on the call.

Retired Marine Lt. Col. Orson Swindle said Clark was "denigrating the character and the experience and the integrity and the performance" of McCain.

"A very indecent thing," said retired Air Force Col. Bud Day.

Day's participation on conference call spawned a new round of broadsides as the Democratic National Committee rushed to point out that Day had appeared in the so-called Swift Boat TV ads that cast aspersions during the 2004 election on the medals Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry earned in Vietnam. Committee spokesman Damien LaVera said McCain himself had called the Swift Boat ads "dishonest and dishonorable."

By comparison with these exchanges, the candidates were positively high-minded. Besides Obama's personal remarks disdaining criticism of McCain's military service, the campaign's spokesman, Bill Burton said, "Sen. Obama honors and respects Sen. McCain's service, and of course he rejects yesterday's statement by Gen. Clark."

McCain himself said, "If that's the kind of campaign Sen. Obama and his surrogates and supporters want to engage in, I understand that. But it doesn't reduce the price of gas by one penny. It doesn't achieve our energy independence or make it come any closer. Doesn't make any American stay in their home who's at risk of losing it today. And it certainly doesn't do anything to address the challenges Americans have in keeping their jobs, homes and supporting their families."
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Clark is a horse's ass, for God's sake.

If he's putting "former supreme commander of NATO under Bill Clinton" on his resume, that's positive proof of what I'm saying.

I forget who it was here that asked me about why hadn't I supported Kerry. I didn't have time to answer, so I'll throw it in here.
    Neither the Veteran's of Foreign War, nor the American Legion endorsed Kerry. That a says a lot more than why I, as a singular veteran, didn't support him.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.
      You'd think that'd be the case. But George H.W. Bush had his plane shot down in WW II. And JFK, had his P.T. boat sunk.

There seems to be a common denominator here.

Comment

And W. presumptively had his car break down at least once while he was bravely serving in the Texas whatever?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Hearing this in context, now, I don't actually have a problem with what Clark said. It's a little snarky, but who cares?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

McCain himself said, "If that's the kind of campaign Sen. Obama and his surrogates and supporters want to engage in, I understand that. But it doesn't reduce the price of gas by one penny. It doesn't achieve our energy independence or make it come any closer. Doesn't make any American stay in their home who's at risk of losing it today. And it certainly doesn't do anything to address the challenges Americans have in keeping their jobs, homes and supporting their families."
            This statement by McCain is complete gibberish! The subject being discussed was prior military service.

It makes no sense to try to blame Obama if a discussion of prior military service doesn't set out a solution for our economic problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
              Hearing this in context, now, I don't actually have a problem with what Clark said. It's a little snarky, but who cares?
              The snark is the issue and ignores what his combat experience is about in this campaign... and that is that McCain isn't a chicken hawk. He knows what he's sending American kids to do.

But McCain has never used his Vietnam service to argue that makes qualified to be President. He's used his experience in the Senate to make that argument.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Clark was responding to a question by Bob Schieffer.

CBS moderator Bob Schieffer cited Clark's earlier remarks and noted that Obama hadn't had those experiences either nor had he ridden in a fighter plane and been shot down. "Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," Clark replied.

Comment

What is exceedingly funny about this latest tiff is that the McCain campaign sent out a surrogate to attack the Obama campaign for allegedly using a surrogate to attack the McCain campaign instead of Obama attacking McCain himself. I guess we can assume then that grampa was asleep and as such Admiral Leighton "Snuffy" Smith decided it best not to wake him, opting instead to attack Obama himself ... as a surrogate of the McCain campaign.
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

The snark is the issue and ignores what his combat experience is about in this campaign... and that is that McCain isn't a chicken hawk. He knows what he's sending American kids to do.

But McCain has never used his Vietnam service to argue that makes qualified to be President. He's used his experience in the Senate to make that argument.

Exactly. I don't think just being in the military is the only thing that matters, but it matters. Being through what McCain went through, matters a lot. He definitely knows.

DRose, I must have missed Obama critizing the statements by Clark.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Both candidates are now smelling like just another batch of politicians.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

MrFun = Mr Idiot. The swiftboaters rejected Kerry for false statements about his service. No one is attacking McCain for that. Go parade around in a tight pink thong, I am all out of time for muscle men busting out of penis shaped cakes.

Comment

Wiggy, take this. No, here, take two.

Comment

The voters are the real hypocrites. If I read one more screed about how the good and decent voters of America have been betrayed by a politician, I think I'll puke. You vote for them – you own them.

The real reason the US elected a ****** as president is that over half of the country is retarded.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Exactly. I don't think just being in the military is the only thing that matters, but it matters. Being through what McCain went through, matters a lot. He definitely knows.

DRose, I must have missed Obama critizing the statements by Clark.
                              Well, Google IS very difficult to use. Turning on a TV is hard too. And Heaven help you with your inability to read a newspaper. I know the Texas education system has to make hard choices between funding football and funding literacy...

Christ, Slowwy, you aren't this dense. Obama has spent the day rejecting Clark's comments. Here, one of MANY articles (this one from the AP):
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X