French military shoot civilians at hostage demonstration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French military shoot civilians at hostage demonstration

CARCASSONNE, France (AFP) — President Nicolas Sarkozy promised swift and severe punishment Monday after a soldier shot and wounded 17 people, including a three-year-old boy and both his parents, at an open day at an army barracks.

The sergeant opened up with an assault rifle, firing live rounds instead of blanks into a crowd of hundreds of visitors watching a hostage-taking exercise Sunday at the base near the southwestern city of Carcassonne.

A man who witnessed the shooting told AFP that "suddenly, people were falling, we thought it was part of the exercise, and then we saw blood."

Sarkozy said after he visited some of the wounded in a Carcassonne hospital that the shooting did not appear to be criminal but that it was the result of "unacceptable negligence" for which he promised a "rapid and severe reaction."

A senior army officer insisted that the incident was almost certainly the result of an "unintentional" error.

Fifteen civilians were among those injured, including the three-year-old boy and a six-year-old girl who were both operated on overnight and were described Monday as being in a stable condition.

Both the boy's parents were also shot in the incident, officials said. Two soldiers were also injured.

The soldier who fired the shots from his FAMAS assault rifle, a sergeant described as experienced with no history of behavioural or psychological problems, was detained following the incident.

An army source said three other soldiers were also detained.

The eyewitness who spoke to AFP, who asked not to be named, said there were seven or eight soldiers with guns taking part in the exercise, with one of them in the middle of the hundreds of spectators pretending to be a terrorist.

Immediately after the real shots were fired, "an official shouted out over the loudspeakers "Cease fire!", he said.

The use of the live rounds was "99.9 percent" likely to be "an unintentional fault," said Colonel Benoit Royal, the head of the French army's information service.

Military and civilian investigators immediately opened probes into the events at the Third Marine Parachute Regiment barracks.

"I cannot rule out anything because we don't know what might be going on in a man's head," Defence Minister Herve Morin told France Info radio.

He said the shooter had first fired a magazine of blanks and then loaded a fresh magazine but this time with live bullets.

"Why did he have it in his pocket?" asked Morin, who accompanied Sarkozy on his visit to the Carcassonne hospital.

He said an experienced soldier would not confuse blanks and real bullets, noting that the two munitions are packed into different-coloured magazines.

The senior official for the Aude region where Carcassonne is located, Bernard Lemaire, said that investigators believed the deadly ammunition was loaded by mistake.

"The question being asked is 'Did the soldier engage in a criminal act or not?'," Lemaire said. "For now, no one can answer that, but the theory being worked on is one of error."

The Third Marine Parachute Regiment based outside of Carcassonne numbers 1,200 troops.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Jesus Christ.

Comment

Wow. Now that is a f up right there.

Now ... how do you go on about shooting live ammo instead of blanks, hitting 17 people? I mean you do feel the difference between blanks and real live ammo, instantly, what the hell is going on in your mind if you still manage all fo this? I guess he was excited about shooting blanks "ohh **** feels like the real thing yeehaaa!!"... what a douche.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Sacrebleu!
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Marine parachute regiment- I wouldn't tell one them to their face that the French surrender all the time
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Stupid french.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Lets's look on the bright side. A french soldier DID NOT drop his rifle and run.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

He opened fire with an assault rifle and WOUNDED 17 people? Not a single fatality? Of course in this case that's a very good thing, but howzat work? Every single bullet happened to miss the brain or heart?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

damn i wanted to post about this

french army
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    I mean you do feel the difference between blanks and real live ammo, instantly
                    Exactly.

This is insane
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                      He opened fire with an assault rifle and WOUNDED 17 people? Not a single fatality? Of course in this case that's a very good thing, but howzat work? Every single bullet happened to miss the brain or heart?
                      he wasn't deliberately aiming to kill people, though why they'd even fire blanks at people is a mystery.

Comment

exactely my thought...
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I'd like to come out and say that I don't really think Carcassonne is all that good a game.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            I mean you do feel the difference between blanks and real live ammo, instantly, what the hell is going on in your mind if you still manage all fo this?

You can also SEE the difference when you are loading the magazine, it's pretty damn obvious. Live rounds have a bullet, blanks do not.

Comment

[quote]
                              He said an experienced soldier would not confuse blanks and real bullets, noting that the two munitions are packed into different-coloured magazines.
                              Which of course would be the mistake. If I had to guess I would imagine the person actually responsible for this would be someone in the ordinance/munitions department/division/company/whatever. Once in the magazine it is not always easy to distigish the rounds, nor would you even attempt to in most cases.

Of course as has been said I can think no reason to shoot blanks into civilians. You shouldn't be pointed a weapon at anyone even if you thought it was unloaded.

Amazing nobody got killed
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X