No announcement yet.

Shame on you China.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it make a more happy face on the higher "care" grades?
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
      Maybe they can use the money to make sure their own students aren't crushed to death if there are more earthquakes
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Felch

Less people total won't make them wealthier. Baltimore has fewer people than New York, but it's not wealthier per capita.

And I'm sure the population density of Singapore makes China look practically empty. So it's not a matter of over-crowding.

I can't believe that you are actually claiming that over-population isn't a problem in China.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          Does it make a more happy face on the higher "care" grades?
          No. It's broken. His mother said his face would freeze like that one day, and it did.

Comment

Ben's London post

Minor correction - next time you refer to Arsenal's rivals, don't say "cross town", say "up the Seven Sister's Road". It'll look very impressive.

As for China - did anyone read the small print? If the officials are not making this up as they go along the story has a different complexion.

Comment

Ouch! Frostyboy, sorry to hear that story. Yes the airport is way out of line on this, and I wouldn't be surprised if that ransom demand (which is essentially what it is) broke all kinds of laws internally in Beijing as well.

China's way behind where it should be on rule of law, and the central government isn't uniform when it comes to their priorities for legal modernization. But that having been said, the central gov't is very sensitive about its reputation with overseas trade, and it has shown far greater willingness to prosecute (and even execute) officials who play fast and loose with trade-related rules.

I think your boss' contingent got hit by an unscrupulous official at the airport looking to make a quick yuan. If the situation doesn't resolve itself then this may be one of those political egg-face situations that the central gov't would rather resolve than ignore. Especially if your boss is a foreigner, going with complaints to SAIC, the Tourism Ministry, and lodging a complaint with the embassy may be enough to sort it out.

Regarding trade with rich foreigners, the Chinese central gov't is fairly proactive and cooperative when its own reputation is at stake under WTO. Your story is something I'd expect to hear from a poor backwater province that doesn't care what Beijing wants - I'm shocked and surprised to hear that it happened in Beijing itself.

I hope your boss gets the cooperation he deserves. This is obviously a pain for him, but it's also really bad for the gov't's reputation. Like I said, he may find the gov't shares his interest in punishing the official at fault and making redress.
              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                Yes the airport is way out of line on this, and I wouldn't be surprised if that ransom demand (which is essentially what it is) broke all kinds of laws internally in Beijing as well.
                The funny thing about laws in China is that they only apply to some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                  The funny thing about laws in China is that they only apply to some people.
                  A flaw that most other nations have. But I hear you, certainly. Hence the rule of law issue.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

A flaw that most other nations have. But I hear you, certainly. Hence the rule of law issue.
                    In particular, there are laws restricting the govts actions, but they are meaningless in China.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                      In particular, there are laws restricting the govts actions, but they are meaningless in China.
                      I see nothing to disagree with in your statement.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I see nothing to disagree with in your statement.
                        Just make another witty sexual reference then.

Comment

Working...
                        X