Largest labour strike in the world averted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space05us

I should have all the rights of being awesome, I shouldn't be dragged into the mud with the rest of the world. Now you get it! If I am not awesome, then into the mud I go, but I am awesome, so I should have a golden ****ter and a sex cave under my house.
    If you were awesome, you wouldn't have needed to join the military.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

My experience is that United has the best service and Southwest has the worst. United is unionized and Southwest isn't. United got screwed over by it's holding company, because all of the profitable parts of the company were spun off, so that they could then claim United wasn't making money, and violate the agreement they had with the union. So despite making a profit, they were able to plead in court they were going bankrupt, and screw their union.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        My experience is that United has the best service and Southwest has the worst. United is unionized and Southwest isn't.
        You obviously do not fly enough.

United was actually just labeled the "worst airline ever" by MSNBC today. Good timing.

I was just looking up United's financials to compare to Southwest (trust me, it's hilarious the difference). The discussions on Google Finance tend to revolve around how terrible the service is on United.
        I was supposed to fly out of Chicago on Christmas to Phoenix to see a
        friend in Phoenix, Arizona. I have not seen this friend in 5 years.
        I was planning on staying out there from Dec. 25 - Dec. 31. When I
        went to O'Hare I was told my flight was cancelled, and the next
        available flight out was Dec. 29. This is 4 days after my original
        flight was planned. This would only allow me to spend less than 2
        days out in Arizona rather than 6 days out there. I had other options
        of things to do during my winter vacation time, but I trusted your
        airline to get me to my destination on time, and back on time, but
        your company has failed. They didn't even try to ameliorate the
        situation. They told me the next flight I could get on was 4 days
        later. I said I would take that flight if they would discount my
        tickets. The woman refused to do this. I said I would pay $100 to
        fly out 4 days late. I thought this would be a fair deal being that
        my vacation was delayed 4 days. The original flight cost me $397.80
        for a 6-day vacation, not a 2-day vacation. This airline also cost me
        more than the memories, and the time I miss spending with my friend.
        It cost me a cab ride to and from the airport $80. It cost my friend
        and I time arranging this trip, and buying tickets to go to events and
        see things while I was going to be out there. The people that you had
        working on Christmas operated without regard to the fact that this is
        an inconvenience to customers (agent 287443), and lacked any sort of
        remorse for these cancellations. I ended up asking for a refund for
        my airfare. Now I am asking for more than that. Your company has
        single handedly ruined my winter vacation. You couldn't even give me
        a discount on a flight that would have been 4 days later. That's a
        big delay. I never even received an email or a phone call regarding
        this inconvenience. I am thoroughly disgusted with the way things
        were handled. I can't believe a company would ever treat people like
        this on Christmas. I will be calling to document this, and will be
        contacting as many administrative agencies as possible to file this
        complaint. I hope that you rethink the way you deal with customers on
        the holidays, and I hope that you hire flight crews that will show up
        to work. This is not a valid reason to cancel a flight.

my boyfriend has the same bad experience flying out of chicago with
        united. his destination was heathrow london. he was flying from
        minneapolis when there was bad weather. due to unexpected delays the
        boys missed their connecting flight by 10 MINUTES. they even had a
        huge layover in chicago. why couldnt they have waited 10 minutes? the
        next fligth was not until later the next day. once they missed tghe
        fligth they were told they would get free hotel if they stood in line.
        after about 2 hrs of waiting in line they were finaly helped and told
        they would NOT be recieving compensation for a place to stay becuase
        it was due to bad weather. they wouldnt do anything for these guys.
        both of them were supposed to be leaving england the next day for
        another place in europe which had to get cancelled becuase of this.
        they tried to explain but there was no getting through. we didnt have
        insurance on the tickets so we got no refund for the 2 day trip we
        planned when they first got to england. instead of paying for a place
        my boyfriend finally got ahold of an old roomate (very mutual friend
        now) and he went out of his way 45 min one way to pick them up. i cant
        believe they wouldnt even pay for a hotel. also i cant believe there
        was no other airline going to heathrow airport that night. once
        they finally arrived we only found one of their bags. my boyfriends
        came the next day DAMAGED! i was just irrate at this point. they fixed
        that for free but still...oh and not to mention...watching the news
        tonight..for every second bag they will be charging! unreal! i will
        REFUSE to fly this airline. im sorry to hear that you have had such
        inconviences as well

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Like I care about MSNBC? I fly several times a year. Usually I fly US Airways, which is also union, and generally has the best prices.

Comment

Like I care about MSNBC? I fly several times a year. Usually I fly US Airways, which is also union, and generally has the best prices.
            As I said, you obviously do not fly enough. Your experiences are obviously out of touch with reality. I don't know what else to tell you.

United is also 17th out of 18 US airlines surveyed in reliability and being on time. US Airways is likewise near the bottom of the pile.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You brought up United vs Southwest:

Last quarter results:

United Airlines: $547M loss
              Southwest Airlines: $34M profit

Comment

If you were awesome, you wouldn't have needed to join the military.

Awesome is something you build up to, nobody is born awesome. Furthermore, joining the military is awesome, would have been more awesome to join as an officer, mistake on my part.

I was being overly facetious at that. I thought you would have noticed.

I think the unions did a great thing for this country and it's people at the turn of the century, a hundred years ago. Like Asher pointed out though our countries now have relatively strict labor laws. We don't need mobsters standing behind us anymore threatening to kill our employer and taking a hefty chunk of our check. Times have changed and all the unions do now is take a hefty chunk of our check and stymie the advancement of hard working individuals while giving the louts a free ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us

I worked as a janitor at a hotel last summer. I was going to leave because my supervisor wouldn't accommodate a schedule change, as I started taking classes that fall. The general manager intervened gave me a dollar an hour pay raise and forced my supervisor to accommodate my schedule so I would stay. So, in my experience what I said is in fact true. Especially the part about most janitors being lazy and not caring about anything.

When your work ethic is above par everyone notices, it doesn't matter what your job is.
                  You got a raise once. Big deal! You know, even I've gotten raises before.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Usually a legalized form of extortion.
                    If that's what it takes....
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

If that's what it takes....
                      So you admit it's to extort money?

Not many people have the balls to say that while still supporting it. Most of them, like che, have convinced themselves that unions help everyone. Including the people laid off due to the absurd salaries unions demand.

Comment

@ thread

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          I honestly don't know how janitors can maintain a union. I mean it's not like it is a high skilled business.
                          The leadership of SEIU tends to be relatively competant.
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            You brought up United vs Southwest:

Last quarter results:

United Airlines: $547M loss
                            Southwest Airlines: $34M profit
                            UAL, which completed a massive bankruptcy restructuring in 2006, said its consolidated fuel bill rose $618 million in the quarter.

That's hardly the unions' fault. But I know you think working people should take an ass raping so you are comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

The leadership of SEIU tends to be relatively competant.
                              I meant that unions of skilled workers tend not to get broken because it is hard to find qualified scabs. Example airline pilots. While low skilled unions tend to be highly suseptable to scabs being used to break the union.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

UAL, which completed a massive bankruptcy restructuring in 2006, said its consolidated fuel bill rose $618 million in the quarter.

That's hardly the unions' fault. But I know you think working people should take an ass raping so you are comfortable.
                                che. ALL AIRLINES are dealing with rising fuel costs. The non-unionized ones are the only ones posting profits.

You can't avoid this by pretending it's not there.

Comment

Working...
                                X