No announcement yet.

Largest labour strike in the world averted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So because it was true for you once, it must be true for the vast majority of workers all the time. Yeah, that's why workers fight like hell to get unions and fight like hell to keep them, because they're so unnecessary.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      So because it was true for you once, it must be true for the vast majority of workers all the time. Yeah, that's why workers fight like hell to get unions and fight like hell to keep them, because they're so unnecessary.

Yep. Glad you can see things my way.

If a person isn't willing to fight for their rights they don't really deserve them. Ironic, isn't it?

I can respect the unions of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, but unions today are just a greedy bunch of louts. From what I see of them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
        If a person isn't willing to fight for their rights they don't really deserve them. Ironic, isn't it?
        WTF do you think a union is for!?!
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

WTF do you think ironic means?

Comment

Unions exist so that people can fight for their rights effectively. The boss has most of the power. The only way a worker can be on a equal playing field with his or her boss is as part of a larger unit, i.e., a union.

So you can fight for your rights individually, and 99% of the time get crushed, or you can join a union, and get crushed somewhat less often.

Comment

Space05us, I'm glad you had someone competent and committed to retaining the best employees over you at that hotel. However, that is the exception, not the rule. Most places of business feel that if you aren't a slave in all but name, you can go to hell. They are not willing to pay more or even give other less tangible benefits to those who work harder or do a better job. You take what they offer or you leave.
              You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

If by completely wrong you mean right but off by a couple of days then yes.
                Everybody knew Hillary would have to step down, the question was when. Your thread was entirely about the timeline, it was clearly a bull**** article from start to finish.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Usually a legalized form of extortion.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    Usually a legalized form of extortion.
                    So is threatening to fire someone.

Comment

So is threatening to fire someone.
                      No more so than an employee threatening to quit. It swings both ways.

Comment

Then we're agreed, it's no big deal, and you're just using inflammatory words to tar something you don't like.

Comment

Then we're agreed, it's no big deal, and you're just using inflammatory words to tar something you don't like.
                          No, it's a big deal to have unions which extort unnecessarily high salaries that the markets do not support. Why do you think both the US airlines and US automotive sectors are struggling so much?

The unionized airlines are losing money and fast on their way of going out of business, the non-unionized airlines are posting profits.

Similarly, the unionized auto manufacturers are shrinking and losing tons of money, while the non-unionized auto manufacturers are growing and posting profits.

There's no need for unions in today's heavily-regulated society with stringent labour and employment laws. The only purpose of unions now is to extort money from their employers to the point of eventually bankrupting them -- at which point the close factories and lay off workers -- at which point the workers strike and throw tantrums, further hurting their company -- which leads to more lay offs and closures, etc.

Comment

Non-unionized auto companies like Honda, Toyota, Renault, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc? Hmmmm.

The airlines are all hurting, and it's because of oil prices, not unions. The American motor companies are hurting because they've got incompetent management.

Unions are absolutely necessary. They are the only think holding up the living standards of the first world. You just don't give a **** about anyone else, and couldn't care less if the world around you crashes and burns as long as you've got yours.

As unions in the U.S. have declined, so have our wages and our benefits. Countries with strong unions have much better standards of living than ours.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara ... You just don't give a **** about anyone else, and couldn't care less if the world around you crashes and burns as long as you've got yours. ...
                              I should have all the rights of being awesome, I shouldn't be dragged into the mud with the rest of the world. Now you get it! If I am not awesome, then into the mud I go, but I am awesome, so I should have a golden ****ter and a sex cave under my house.

Comment

Non-unionized auto companies like Honda, Toyota, Renault, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc? Hmmmm.

The airlines are all hurting, and it's because of oil prices, not unions. The American motor companies are hurting because they've got incompetent management.
                                No, as I said, unionized airlines are losing money and non-unionized are still profitable. Yes, oil prices hurt but all that does is turn up in the prices rather linearly. But the unionized airlines have far higher cost structures so when oil prices go up in addition to the existing cost structure, they are not price competitive.

WestJet and Air Canada are perfect examples here. WestJet is completely un-unionized and instead all employees become part-owners of the company. Air Canada is completely unionized.

Not only is WestJet cheaper, it is profitable. Air Canada is more expensive and loses money.

Not only that, but the consumer experience on WestJet is much better. The staff is way friendlier (Air Canada staff are known to be hostile at worst, bored at best). The flights are more likely to be on time. There is incentive for the employees to do better which simply does not exist with Air Canada, strictly because of the unions.

For this reason, WestJet is growing and Air Canada is shrinking. WestJet is profitable, Air Canada is not.

Identical parallels can be drawn in the automotive sector. Compare Honda and Toyota's financial situation to that of any unionized American company.

Unions are not necessary because the government's regulations prevent employee exploitation. Period.

Comment

Working...
                                X