Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a new name for lesbians

Post your ideas here.

ATHENS, Greece - Three islanders from Lesbos told a court Tuesday that gay women insult their home's identity by calling themselves lesbians.

The plaintiffs - two women and a man - are seeking to ban a Greek gay rights group from using the word "lesbian" in its name.

Also known as Mytilini, Lesbos was the home of the ancient poet Sappho, who praised love among women. It is a major travel destination for gay women.

The Homosexual and Lesbian Community of Greece "causes confusion by using a geographic term in connection with (the group's) special character and social action," said Dimitris Papadelis, a lawyer representing the plaintiffs.

A spokeswoman for the group accused the plaintiffs of homophobia.

"I believe ... the other party's intentions were purely racist," Evangelia Vlami said. "They showed that what bothers them is a specific sexual orientation."

"What will they do next, sue the United Nations? They, too, use the term lesbian," Vlami said.

Plaintiff Dimitris Lambrou has insisted the lawsuit "is not an aggressive act against gay women."

Lawyers from both sides are to submit written arguments on Wednesday, and the court is expected to issue its decision in the next six months.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

They should change to Mytilnians

Comment

Edit: Wrong.
      Last edited by SlowwHand; June 11, 2008, 08:32.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Greekess
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

meanwhile, we had our first gay/lesbian weddings in greece last week (the spokewoman of the group referred in the post was among the brides(?)). whether or not they were lawfull though it's a matter that time will answer since they were not the product of a new law but just on the interpretation of an 1983 one....
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Why not change the name of the island

Former Island of Lesbos (FIS)
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Sapphics?
              Unbelievable!

Comment

"Awesome"
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                  Why not change the name of the island

Former Island of Lesbos (FIS)
                  Former Ottoman Island of Lesbos (FOIOS)
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Lit-Slickers

(pig latinese for Slit-Lickers, cleverly coded so as to not alert anyone with inappropriate language)
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Maybe they should work harder to have everyone just assume they're gay like Greek men.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                        Maybe they should work harder to have everyone just assume they're gay like Greek men.
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I had a friend in high school who was a Lesbian.
                          He was very proud of his Greek heritage. True story.
                          The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            meanwhile, we had our first gay/lesbian weddings in greece last week (the spokewoman of the group referred in the post was among the brides(?)). whether or not they were lawfull though it's a matter that time will answer since they were not the product of a new law but just on the interpretation of an 1983 one....
                            The newspapers here reported it was because of a 'lapse' in said law, since it 'failed' to specify that marriage had to be between opposite sexes. Is that true?
                            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                              Lit-Slickers

(pig latinese for Slit-Lickers, cleverly coded so as to not alert anyone with inappropriate language)
                              If you think about it you'll realize why this is no better than lesbian.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X