Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Thunderstorm

I was supposed to be painting outside today. It was a beautiful day,

instead, our back yard is flooded, my brothers window got blown in, and the major bridge connecting Montreal to my suburb is closed in both directions because the wind overturned a few cars on it.

Major storm

A major storm system is causing havoc across the Montreal region.
    63,000 people are without power in the west end of Montreal, high winds overturned four trucks on the Champlain bridge and some flights were disrupted at Trudeau airport, including a jet that aborted a landing.
    Airport officials set up temporary lights on the runways to help guide planes in.
    A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for Montreal and Laval, and Environment Canada says there's a possibility of tornadoes and hail up to 20 cm in diameter.
    There were several other incidents:

* A lightpost fell onto highway 10 at highway 30 and a car collided with it, trapping the driver.
    * A window-washing platform fell from a building on McGill College, but no one was on it at the time.
    * High winds blew tree branches into hydro lines and several lightposts collapsed across the region
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Is this the one Toronto got yesterday?

It was insane. When I dropped the SO off in Waterloo it was spitting rain. The ENTIRE 1.5 hour drive back it was a torrential downpour. Lightning every second all over the sky.

Going 100km/h on the 401 surrounded by semis (AND BEING PASSED ON THE LEFT!! WHICH IS ILLEGAL FOR SEMIS!!!) in torrential rain and dealing with the spray from other cars is stressful as hell. I've never had a drive as intense as that.

When I got home I went out on my apartment balcony and watched the storm for a bit. It's very awesome, so long as you're not driving at high speed in the dark.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah, it was wierd. I went out to buy a new mouse and it was just ridiculously hot. I came back, installed it. Then I went into the bathroom thinking, "Hey I should check the weather and see when it's supposed to start raining." I walk back out to my computer like 2 mins later and rain is pouring outside.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

I forgot to mention the kilometers of torn up 401 which were uneven and completely, criminally DANGEROUS in this rain. Massive puddles formed and let me tell you, if I didn't have very expensive very good tires I'd have crashed. Hitting these puddles at 100km/h on only one side of the car tugs the car heavily to the side, potentially into other cars...but if my tires sucked I'd have hydroplaned.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It was insane.
          Yeah, probably the same thing.

I was in my brother's room when the window blew in. I felt like I was in a movie, it was very dramatic. the entire thing came out of the frame, and we were instantly soaked. We had to grab the window and pin it back up against the frame until the wind died down enough for us to put it back in

Comment

It was insane. When I dropped the SO off in Waterloo it was spitting rain. The ENTIRE 1.5 hour drive back it was a torrential downpour. Lightning every second all over the sky.

Going 100km/h on the 401 surrounded by semis (AND BEING PASSED ON THE LEFT!! WHICH IS ILLEGAL FOR SEMIS!!!) in torrential rain and dealing with the spray from other cars is stressful as hell. I've never had a drive as intense as that.

When I got home I went out on my apartment balcony and watched the storm for a bit. It's very awesome, so long as you're not driving at high speed in the dark.
            I drove in conditions like that once, but I was going to my girlfriend and not away from her. Your priorities seem to be a bit off.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

I drove in conditions like that once, but I was going to my girlfriend and not away from her. Your priorities seem to be a bit off.
              You obviously haven't been with your girlfriend for 5 years yet.

Also, it was so intense my wipers on the highest settings couldn't keep up 90% of the time for the journey...

Comment

Oddly enough I kept my window open and fan blowing air in, but it doesn't seem to have sucked in any of that crazy rainfall.
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

... cronos grab popcorn and wait for the havoc.. ( Sadly; my soccer game will be canceled)
                  bleh

Comment

You obviously haven't been with your girlfriend for 5 years yet.
                    And probably never will, what with me breaking up with her a year and a half ago.

Also, it was so intense my wipers on the highest settings couldn't keep up 90% of the time for the journey...
                    Hey man, I did this driving a 98 Windstar. I'm not even sure if those things come with wind shield wipers.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                      And probably never will, what with me breaking up with her a year and a half ago.
                      Owned!

Comment

Do you received hail in Mtl?
                        bleh

Comment

Nope.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Going 100km/h on the 401 surrounded by semis (AND BEING PASSED ON THE LEFT!! WHICH IS ILLEGAL FOR SEMIS!!!)
                            No it isn't. I presume you were on the 401.

Semis are prohibited from using the far left lane on some sections of the 401. If you are in the right they can pass you in the centre.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Not around my place, but there are reports of it in Upstate New York.

Here it was just bloody strong wind and impressive amounts of rain

Comment

Working...
                              X