X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things Adults Can't Hear

15kHz

Ring Tones 8kHz - 22kHz

I can hear all of it. Granted I'm 21, not exactly old.

Thread inspired by

UK society 'demonising' children

British children are being "demonised" by a society that is locking too many of them up, according to watchdogs.

The joint report by children's commissioners for all parts of the UK said attitudes towards youngsters were hardening across the country.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

and more specifically

The Mosquito Device

Let's not forget the letter C.

That noise was probably the most schreechingly anoying thing I have ever heard... I'm 36, so I must be a dog.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

I can at most hear 17.4 kHz.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Three years ago when I ETSed the tests showed I could still hear down to 18 hz despite my advanced age of 29.

Honestly it was difficult to hear given the noise of the other bastards taking the test near me but I think I could persieve lower then 18 hz.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You mean higher?
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I can hear 17.4. Age 32.

I'm very surprised, I thought 10 years of semi-regular rehearsing and gigging would have done more damage.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

The 22 Khz was probably the least painful, but I heard it quite plainly. maybe it's my comp speakers though. Maybe they cant handle that frequency... and play it lower.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
                The 22 Khz was probably the least painful, but I heard it quite plainly. maybe it's my comp speakers though. Maybe they cant handle that frequency... and play it lower.
                ditto here. I'm pretty sure it's my speakers/headphones
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I could hear all of them (mp3 format), but indeed those 'below my age' (I'm 47) are very faint and I would surely not hear them in a crowded place. They would just appear to be some faint, unidentified annoying background sound, giving me unexplained headache after some time.
                  Those I would surely hear everywhere, are those below 14kHz.
                  The 14khz is for me the most annoying one (super high 'eeeeeee') and the 8khz sounds like the loudest one to me.
                  The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

That 15 khz was nasty, I steadily increased my notebook volume as my stereo was playing the file and it didn't even sound like it was coming out of the stereo until it was almost too late

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                      I can hear 17.4. Age 32.

I'm very surprised, I thought 10 years of semi-regular rehearsing and gigging would have done more damage.
                      Feel safe. Even rock music makes less noise then regular use of fire arms. Those bangs take their toll on your ears.

Comment

That 15 hz noise was very audible.

Comment

Depends on volume, no? It was audible though quite "distant". I presume 16 khz would be inaudible to me.

Comment

Yes, volume matters but even at low it sucks.

Comment

Should use it to get rid of those hippies in front of my house.

Comment

Working...
                              X