Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al-Qaeda in Retreat - CIA Chief

Al-Qaeda in retreat - CIA chief

The head of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has said al-Qaeda is essentially defeated in Iraq and Saudi Arabia, and on the defensive elsewhere.

Michael Hayden's remarks, which correspondents describe as strikingly upbeat, come less than a year after the CIA warned of a resurgent al-Qaeda.

He told the Washington Post that US counter-terrorism successes extended to the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden is thought to be hiding out in the area.

"On balance, we are doing pretty well," said the CIA director. "Near strategic defeat of al-Qaeda in Iraq. Near strategic defeat of al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia. Significant setbacks for al-Qaeda globally."

No complacency

Mr Hayden said capturing or killing Bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, remained a top priority.

Mr Hayden said Bin Laden was losing his appeal in the Arab world

"The ability to kill and capture key members of al-Qaeda continues, and keeps them off balance - even in their best safe haven along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border," he said.

However, the CIA chief warned against complacency, which he said could halt or reverse any progress against al-Qaeda.

Just two years ago, the CIA warned that the militant Islamic group was using the US-led war in Iraq as a successful propaganda and marketing tool.

But now, Mr Hayden said, al-Qaeda was losing the battle for hearts and minds in the Islamic world.

Iranian interference

He said there was a growing public resentment toward jihadism, and described the insurgency in Iraq as "more and more a war of al-Qaeda against Iraqis".

It is the policy of the Iranian government... to facilitate the killing of American and other coalition forces in Iraq

"Despite this 'cause celebre' phenomenon, fundamentally no one really liked al-Qaeda's vision of the future," said Mr Hayden.

He praised the increasing competence of the Iraqi military in combating extremist groups.

But he warned that progress in Iraq was being undermined by growing Iranian interference.

The US accuses Tehran of funding, arming and training insurgents.

He said: "It is the policy of the Iranian government, approved at the highest levels of that government, to facilitate the killing of American and other coalition forces in Iraq. Period."

I guess I'll just take his word for it, then.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Read this too. Let's hope they're right for a change.
      Blah

Comment

Gee, unprovable assertions from the US intelligience community. Where have we seen that before? Call me paranoid, but this looks like an early run up to--

Bush's Last Stand: WTF, Let's Take Iran.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Al Qaeda is an emasculated, two-bit organization that happened to get lucky with 9/11. There are much more effective and dangerous groups out there who just don't get as much Western media coverage.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Before the Surge was proposed, U.S. military units were convincing Sunni tribal chieftians that al Qaeda was worse than us. Since then, the Sunnis have been kicking AQ's butt all over Iraq.

I haven't heard of any recent AQ attacks in Saudi Arabia, esp. in comparison with early in the war when there were several.

So that part appears to be true.

I'm surprised to hear we're doing well along the Pak-Afgh boarder. Last I heard, AQ was on the offensive there.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              Al Qaeda is an emasculated, two-bit organization that happened to get lucky with 9/11. There are much more effective and dangerous groups out there who just don't get as much Western media coverage.
              So you're saying it's a marketing issue?
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

it's in retreat, time to invade Iran than
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                  it's in retreat, time to invade Iran than
                  No no no no no no no no!

Comment

Yeah, let's see who arrives there first

So you're saying it's a marketing issue?
                    I suspect it's the same as with those silly casting teenie bands. Lots of media hype but no substance
                    Blah

Comment

The problem with Al Kaida (sp) is that it's not centralized so much, in the sense that there is not strong command hierarchy, and any Muslim Arabian can sign up and call himself a member. No one is saying you can completely eradicate Al Kada or even spell it properly so let's not lose the forest for the bushes and stay frosty here, people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        The problem with Al Kaida (sp) is that it's not centralized so much, in the sense that there is not strong command hierarchy, and any Muslim Arabian can sign up and call himself a member. No one is saying you can completely eradicate Al Kada or even spell it properly so let's not lose the forest for the bushes and stay frosty here, people.
                        Wiglaf posting a sensible comment?
                        Yeah, Al Qaeda is like ELF. You can't kill a school of piranhas with a harpoon, you need dynamite. Unfortunately, good fish also float bellies up if you detonate it.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Al Qaeda's murderous rampages in Iraq have basically exposed themselves to the whole Arab world. People who formerly saw them as champions for Muslim causes must have grown quite disillusioned.

It's better to make money in energy markets than to blow oneselve up, I guess.

Comment

Thankfully we have Iran's goodwill to credit for any success in Iraq.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Glad that's been dealt with. Now we can get back to real issues like preventing gays from marryin'.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X