Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Iron Man movie

What do you think of it?
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Lonestar liked it so that means it's no good.

Comment

I kinda off have to do a review of it and am trying to decide whether to actually go see it...
      Last edited by Heraclitus; May 23, 2008, 07:07.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The acting was great, not surprisingly; it's hard to think of another movie where such a heavyweight cast has been given such lightweight material to work with. Downey, in particular, is fantastic; Jeff Bridges, of course, can do no wrong, and even Gwenyth Paltrow, of whom I'm not that big a fan, turns in a charming performance.

But the movie was...meh. It might help to care more about the Iron Man mythology in particular, or even comic in general. I don't. The best thing about it, imho, is that there's surprisingly little action for a superhero movie; that leaves more time for Downey's character development, which is the best thing about the movie. But being long on character development and short on action (and the action isn't that great; the climactic fight seen, in particular, is the worst-directed action sequence I've seen since Batman Forever -- though that's still worse) means the whole thing felt like the first half of a film, rather than a film unto itself.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It is a superhero movie made for preteens. What else do you really need to know.

Predictable ending. Check. Predictably bad theme (weapons are bad kids!). Check. Tedious romantic subplot. Check. Douchebag lead actor. Check. Good special effects. Check.

Comment

I half agree with Rufus. The action scenes, the climax in particular, are not the best part of the film, but certainly the earlier action sequences have a bit more zip. This is, of course, frequently the case in superhero origin stories, with the discovery of powers and abilities being quite fun.

The performances are terrific all the way around. Definitely recommended, but it's not quite on the same level as the great recent superhero movies, namely Batman Begins and X-Men 2.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Yes, what a great movie. I especially liked when the Arab Terrorists found Robert Downey was up to something (building a suit, not the missile they wanted) because they saw it on their videocamera.

Their response? Leave him completely unguarded and just threaten to kill him if the weapons not up in 24 hours. Also, don't check the videocamera. Surely he's not still doing whatever he was doing (building a magic suit that can kill everyone).

Amazing movie, if you're 12.

Comment

It was OK. I don't know if I'd call Downey's acting great. He plays a rich immature playboy with a substance abuse problem. Isn't that type casting? In my book there's no extra credit given for playing what you already are. At the point in the movie when he gets back home and goes into a tiff over his weapons doing bad things I couldn't help thinking "Gee, you shmuck, how did they wind up in the hands of Afghani terrorists? Don't you think you ought to look into that?" A half hour later the predictable happens.

IMHO the action scenes were the best part of the movie.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                  I half agree with Rufus. The action scenes, the climax in particular, are not the best part of the film, but certainly the earlier action sequences have a bit more zip. This is, of course, frequently the case in superhero origin stories, with the discovery of powers and abilities being quite fun.
                  I agree, I just didn't think of those as action sequences. But they were very good, no matter what you call them. We're on the same page here.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I liked it

Downey was quite funny.

The action scene with the two jets.

I agree about the climatic end battle scene. Not that fabulous.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                      Lonestar liked it so that means it's no good.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        Yes, what a great movie. I especially liked when the Arab Terrorists found Robert Downey was up to something (building a suit, not the missile they wanted) because they saw it on their videocamera.

Their response? Leave him completely unguarded and just threaten to kill him if the weapons not up in 24 hours. Also, don't check the videocamera. Surely he's not still doing whatever he was doing (building a magic suit that can kill everyone).

Amazing movie, if you're 12.

So ****ing true.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yes, my daughter and I were laughing during that sequence. DOH.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I still want that power armor.

It's hard for me to dislike Gwyneth Paltrow, honestly, so I'll confess that I didn't mind Pepper Potts all that much. It helps that she wasn't as simpering as the usual superhero girlfriend.

It doesn't deal with arms shipments and the brutalities of conflict as well as some people have said; it's not at all a story dealing in shades of gray, since it's still very much in black and white.

I still want that power armor. Did I mention that?

Oh, and the AI. **** yeah, that AI's awesome.

I mean, it's a summer movie. It's a popcorn blockbuster. Asking anything of depth or expecting anything outside of KAPOW! ZOOM! BANG BANG BANG BANG KABOOM! BZZZT! PEW PEW PEW! FREEM! is kinda silly.

So, yeah. Great for product placement. Whenever Stark Industries comes out with that power armor, I'll take two.
                            B♭3

Comment

Yeah, the power armor was frakkin' awesome.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X