No announcement yet.

America grinding to a halt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The higher the cost of oil, the more money my family gets net.

Sounds to me like you guys need to invest in the right areas.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

A lot of countries (India for example) subsidize fuel, pretty soon those fuel subsidies will become untenable. There's a lot of other countries who will knuckle under to high oil prices before America does.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Re: America grinding to a halt?

Originally posted by MOBIUS
        So, more record prices for oil and Goldman Sachs predicting $200 a barrel, will America simply grind to a halt?

Funny story about some guy in the US who owns mechanical pumps that only go up to $3.99 a gallon cos the pump manufacturers never anticipated prices going higher than that...

What will happen when Americans simply can't afford to fill up their gas-guzzling cars? It's not like most of you can turn to a decent public transport system, or walk or cycle anywhere meaningful...

TYPICAL JACKASS THREAD.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
          Why do you say that?
          Well based on anecdotal evidence, and a ~6% drop in oil imports into the US in march.

Comment

Some parts of New Zealand have this problem, Auckland in particular. In the 1950s the conservative government deliberately scuppered an infrastructure program designed to create housing corridors connected by light rail. Instead, due to pressure from property developers and New Zealand's equivalent of William Levitt, it was decided to model Auckland on the Californian car culture.

It was evident 20 years ago that this only succeeded in causing sprawl, pollution and infill housing. That was bad enough, but the whole thing is predicated on cheap gas.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: America grinding to a halt?

Originally posted by MOBIUS
              Amerikkka Buhs did 9/11 Jews Jews Jews Jews Jews Jews Israel Terrism Zionist Conspiracy!!!1112 $$$
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Re: Re: America grinding to a halt?

Originally posted by Elok

Actually that's a problem for lots of Mom and Pop stores that sell gas with old-fashioned pumps. There are no kits to upgrade the pumps and they can't afford to buy modern pumps. So instead they lose customers and go out of business. It's not really funny at all, but as we've established, you're a sick puppy.
                This may be a sily question but can't they just put up a sign with the real cost of gass and then do a bit of math?
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I suspect this is not a very common problem.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Stations here had a similar problem when gas passed $1.00 per litre. Pumps and signs could not handle the extra digit. Of course gas is well past $1 a litre now and I don't expect it will drop below again.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Re: Re: America grinding to a halt?

Originally posted by Heraclitus

This may be a sily question but can't they just put up a sign with the real cost of gass and then do a bit of math?
                      No. (That would violate a lot of local and federal laws, among other things. Pumps must be accurate, and are verified periodically as such.)
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: America grinding to a halt?

Originally posted by snoopy369

No. (That would violate a lot of local and federal laws, among other things. Pumps must be accurate, and are verified periodically as such.)
                        that is stupid
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

that is government
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Drudge link predicts $12 gas

'Squawk Box' Guest Warns of $12-15-a-Gallon Gas
                            Robert Hirsch, an energy advisor, says CNBC morning show prediction was a citation of the 'Dean of Oil Analysts.'

By Jeff Poor
                            Business & Media Institute
                            5/21/2008 3:38:13 PM

It may be the mother of all doom and gloom gas price predictions: $12 for a gallon of gas is “inevitable.”

Robert Hirsch, Management Information Services Senior Energy Advisor, gave a dire warning about the potential future of gas prices on CNBC’s May 20 “Squawk Box”. He told host Becky Quick there was no single thing that would solve the problem, due to the enormity of the problem.

“[T]he prices that we’re paying at the pump today are, I think, going to be ‘the good old days,’ because others who watch this very closely forecast that we’re going to be hitting $12 and $15 per gallon,” Hirsch said. “And then, after that, when oil – world oil production goes into decline, we’re going to talk about rationing. In other words, not only are we going to be paying high prices and have considerable economic problems, but in addition to that, we’re not going to be able to get the fuel when we want it.”

Hirsch told the Business & Media Institute the $12-$15 a gallon wasn’t his prediction, but that he was citing Charles T. Maxwell, described as the “Dean of Oil Analysts” and the senior energy analyst at Weeden & Co. Still, Hirsch admitted the high price was inevitable in his view.

“I don’t attempt to predict oil prices because it’s been impossible in the past,” Hirsch said in an e-mail. “We’re into a new era now, and over the next roughly five years the trend will be up significantly. However, there may be dips and bumps that no one can forecast; I wouldn’t be at all surprised. To me the multi-year upswing is inevitable.”

Maxwell’s original $12-15-a-gallon prediction came in a February 5 interview with Energytechstocks.com, a Web site run by two former Wall Street Journal staffers.

“[Maxwell] expects an oil-induced financial crisis to start somewhere in the 2010 to 2015 timeframe,” Energytechstocks.com reported. “He said that, unlike the recession the U.S. appears to be in today, ‘This will not be six months of hell and then we come out of it.’ Rather, Maxwell expects this financial crisis to last at least 10 or 12 years, as the world goes through a prolonged period of price-induced rationing (eg, oil up to $300 a barrel and U.S. pump prices up to $15 a gallon).”

According to associate of Maxwell at Weeden & Co., Maxwell is out of the country and currently unavailable for comment.

Maxwell’s biography on the Weeden & Co. Web site said he “has been ranked by the U.S. financial institutions as the No. 1 oil analyst for the years 1972, 1974, 1977 and 1981-1986,” according to polls taken by Institutional Investor magazine.

“In addition, for the last 17 years he has been an active member of an Oxford-based organization comprised of OPEC and other industry executives from 30 countries who meet twice a year to discuss trends within the energy industry.”

Although Maxwell’s prediction is for the long-term, not everyone supports high-end predictions, even in the short-term. CNBC contributor and the vice president of risk management for MF Global (NYSE:MF) John Kilduff said on “The Call” May 7that he expected gas prices to drop following the Chinese Olympics, as China’s economic boom slows down.

Related Links

Pressure Builds on Oil Companies - from Lawmakers, Media and Candidates
                            'Big Oil' Faces 'the Same Game Plan that Brought Down Big Tobacco'
                            Senators Warn Bill Could Spike Gas $1.50 to $5 a Gallon
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Drudge is a ****** and so is anyone who reads his site.

The newest way to get hits is to fearmonger about the price of gas.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's a bubble. Someone make it stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X