America grinding to a halt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America grinding to a halt?

So, more record prices for oil and Goldman Sachs predicting $200 a barrel, will America simply grind to a halt?

Funny story about some guy in the US who owns mechanical pumps that only go up to $3.99 a gallon cos the pump manufacturers never anticipated prices going higher than that...

What will happen when Americans simply can't afford to fill up their gas-guzzling cars? It's not like most of you can turn to a decent public transport system, or walk or cycle anywhere meaningful...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

What's gas running for over there?

Most major cities have decent public trans. The trains I take are considerably more crowded then they were 6 months ago.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In here, it's around 6 euros per gallon. $9.50 for you guys, per gallon. This has been pretty much the norm lately.

It is projected to go up to 7.20 euros per gallon so go figure.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        What's gas running for over there?

Most major cities have decent public trans. The trains I take are considerably more crowded then they were 6 months ago.
        Chicago's famed "Tubes" or "Underground" are no match for Singapore's...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Singapore

The Chicago Underground
          being underground
          Velvet Underground

btw, overall gasoline consumption is down 30% here in Indy (vs. when I dunno ). I guess people are cutting back on those unnecessary trips.

In my case it's now cheaper to fly to Chicago then drive (with 21 day advanced booking).
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Re: America grinding to a halt?

Originally posted by MOBIUS
            What will happen when Americans simply can't afford to fill up their gas-guzzling cars? It's not like most of you can turn to a decent public transport system, or walk or cycle anywhere meaningful...
            Gas would have to be over $10 a gallon to make a real difference. That's peak oil. Then the whole world is ****ed.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

There is some mass transit but not up to the standards of the rest of the world. In reality there are fuel efficient cars out there for people to buy. My dad has a 2003 VW Passat Wagon turbo diesel which is roomy and gets 48 mpg highway, for $20k you can get a Prius which gets 50 mpg, hell a mid 80's Metro gets the same though I wouldn't buy one.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

People are certainly driving less.

Comment

Why do you say that?
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: America grinding to a halt?

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                    Funny story about some guy in the US who owns mechanical pumps that only go up to $3.99 a gallon cos the pump manufacturers never anticipated prices going higher than that...
                    Actually that's a problem for lots of Mom and Pop stores that sell gas with old-fashioned pumps. There are no kits to upgrade the pumps and they can't afford to buy modern pumps. So instead they lose customers and go out of business. It's not really funny at all, but as we've established, you're a sick puppy.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Chicago's famed "Tubes" or "Underground" are no match for Singapore's...
                      Can't deny it
                      be free

Comment

I've already built my underground shelter, stocked it with weapons, ammunition, medicine, and food. It's only a matter of time until I will be able to carve out my own feudal kingdom and dominate my neighbors after the collapse.

Comment

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday about more Americans buying motorinos like the Vespa. I do see a few more of those around, and more bicycles too, but that trend began in my neighborhood well before the oil price spike. It seems like the trend was driven more by the addition of bicycle lanes to city streets and the like.

As for public transportation, ridership on the subway is up something like 3% or 4% this year, even though there was a fare increase a couple of months ago.
                          Last edited by DanS; May 22, 2008, 10:48.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

oh i thought this would be about a different kind of grinding since some high schools are making 'no grinding' rules at dances now.

Comment

Now, now.

All this talk of a recession is so... DIRTY. unfinished.

Until gas is over $5 and the DOW dips below 10,000 then we can talk cookies. depression, baby

all of this recession crap is just a government scare tactic and does not affect my life either way.

Why am i so bitter? simply, because i hate the human race.

continue to destroy yourselves please. thanks.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X