No announcement yet.

Wannabe Draft Dodger To Be Deported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do think breaking one's word is a lesser offense than killing someone.

Majority (? Not read any polls lately) of americans think Iraq war was A Bad Idea, and the current occupation is a Bad Thing. Why no support for this guy? He merely acts on his conviction.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Desertion is punished severely because when faced with:
      a) Desert
      b) Probably Die in war

You must give people a reason to choose b) It is certainly not because it is a worse crime than murder (though you could say that if you desert, someone ELSE dies because you're not there to defend them).

I think that desertion in the face of fire is a much worse crime than just not coming back to your unit, like this guy; but both should be punished. (I'd not support the death penalty in this case, mind you, just explaining its purpose.)
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

OTTAWA - American military deserters celebrated a bittersweet victory Tuesday as the House of Commons passed a motion calling on the Harper government to let them stay in Canada.

The opposition parties banded together to outvote the Conservatives and approve the motion to grant permanent residence status to deserters and their families.

But the measure, which passed 137-110, isn't binding - and the government is certain to ignore it.

"I hope the government listens to the will of the Canadian people and the House of Commons," said Olivia Chow, the New Democrat MP who moved the motion.

For a couple of dozen former American servicemen and supporters who watched the voting from NDP offices in the Parliament Building, the fruitless victory offered hope.

"We are very happy that we won," said Phil McDowell, a former U.S. army sergeant.

"We're hopeful that the government will respect the democratic process."

McDowell, from Warwick, R.I., served a year in Iraq and then sought a discharge. When the army told him his enlistment would have to be extended, he deserted and fled to Canada in October 2006.

He wants to stay, although his prospects look bleak, barring a change in government policy.

"We believe that the motion is morally binding and it's a representation of the will of the House of Commons so we don't think it would be good for the government to withhold a democratic decision."

There are thought to be about 200 American military deserters who have come to Canada to avoid service in Iraq.

Their efforts to win refugee status have been rejected by immigration officials and the courts alike and several face imminent deportation to courts martial and, perhaps, jail back home.

The Immigration Department says it would be unfair to cut a special exemption for one class of would-be immigrants.

Joshua Key, a former combat engineer, is awaiting word from an immigration appeal board on his bid to stay in Canada.

"I still consider it a huge step forward," he said after the Commons vote.

Key, like others, has been frustrated by Canadian courts' refusal to hear what they feel is the key to their case.

"We've had one hand tied behind our back because we can't argue the illegality of the Iraq war, which we all know is illegal," he said.

"But, with that we just take it one step at a time. I just hope it continues going forward.

Two generations ago, as many as 50,000 American draft dodgers and war resisters came to Canada to avoid the Vietnam War. They were eventually welcomed and given permanent residence status leading, in many cases, to citizenship.

Opponents of the latest wave of anti-war immigrants say there's a big difference this time around.

Vietnam's manpower demands were filled by conscription, but every member of the American military today is a volunteer.

During the Commons debate last week, Laurie Hawn, an Edmonton Tory MP and a retired Canadian Forces fight pilot, offered little sympathy for deserters:

"As for volunteer soldiers in the United States who have difficulty with the mission they are on, first of all, soldiers do not get to vote for which missions they go on.

"Why do they not fight it within their own country in their own legal system instead of being faux refugees in Canada?"

While McDowell and his fellows hope for a change of heart from the Canadian government, he, at least, is resigned.

"If the government decides that it wants to go against the will of Parliament and stand up with George Bush and support the Iraq war, I'm going to have to kind of respect that decision."

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

So he's definitely going to be deported?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Great. Another one in the neiborhood.

Let an "old soul" give you a lessson to take with you.
            If you say you're going to do something, do it.
            If you say you won't do something, don't do it.

It's a question of integrity and honor.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              Yes. June 12.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

nm
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                  Looks like it. He could go "underground" and stay indefinitely but it doesn't sound like he will. I'm sure some of the other 200 will. If they can make it until the conservatives get tossed out they may stand a chance of seeing this motion followed.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X