No announcement yet.

US court: Paper money discriminates against blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And we're talking just paper money, for now.
    What about menus? That will be next. They would also have to be in braille in both English and Spanish.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We on this side of the pond, you know the guys who prefer to use real money have different sized bills and we don't have a problem with our wallets.

Last edited by Heraclitus; May 20, 2008, 13:56.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Wallets, for one thing. Built for a huge 100 dollar bill that swallows the 1 dollar bills.
        Bah! Europeans don't seem to have any problems with different sized money, and we're way smarter than they are. Besides, the difference in sizes wouldn't need to be much, just a couple of millimeters.

Comment

And we're talking just paper money, for now.
          What about menus? That will be next. They would also have to be in braille in both English and Spanish.
          Good point. I like burritos. What's the Spanish word for burrito??

Comment

Sounds reasonable enough. It's not like it would be terribly expensive to have different-sized money. There'd be the initial cost of designing, ordering and installing new presses, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the mountains of cash we regularly spend on irrelevant pork.
            Vending machines and bank cash counters/bundlers being something else to change.

They would also have to be in braille in both English and Spanish.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I doubt braille would work on a bill. Either the bill material wouldn't work for braille in the first place or through constant use they'd wear down or something.

Putting small holes in money though I think could work. Like in one corner or edge put a small arrangement of holes. One for $1. Two for $5, 3 for $10, etc. Shouldn't be too hard to do, and the bill would still work in vending machines and such.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Braille wouldn't work. Different sizes or papers are pretty much the only option. Holes *might* work, but it would be tough I think.

Vending machines wouldn't need much retooling. Just keep the $1 the same and change the OTHER bills... Not that many $5 vending machines out there (relative to the number that take only $1). You could also change the $5 relatively little (so machines could still take it)...

Or, just go to a cashless economy and hand out plastic cards to everyone (For that matter, could that be a government workaround - give anyone who needs it (ie blind) a gov't-issued debit card that debits from a gov't account that they can put all of their money in? Then only vending machines are relevant, and those are just not that big of a deal... just withdraw only $1 bills, or use coins )
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

US court: Paper money discriminates against blind

I think the bigger concern is how it discriminates against the poor.

Comment

What about menus? That will be next.
                    More like over a decade ago, when the ADA first effect. A restaurant either has to have brille menus or the waiter has to remain with the blind customer and read it for him. The biggest current area of ADA non compliance is commerical web sites without adequate vison impared alternatives.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I'm color blind. I think I'll petition for adult Geranimals, or whatever it was called, where the label has a number so children can match up clothes.

What really pisses me of is that way too many times, if I mention it, what do you think is overwhelmingly the first response?

"What color does this look like to you?"
                      You damn dumb bastard! How in the HELL am I supposed to answer that question?

But I digress.
                      Slowwy has it rough.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"I don't think we should have to rely on people to tell us what our money is," said Mitch Pomerantz, the council's president.

Out of curiosity, how does a blind person know how much to pay in the first place? Don't they have to rely on a cashier or some such to tell them?
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

How do you know how much to pay in the first place Lots of scams involve cashiers overcharging - or undercharging, depending on the register setup - to get cash they can take without being caught. They usually work very well until noticed through other means than the customer noticing...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You think blind people and their money is bad...

How about when there done on the toilet. How are they suposed to know when they're done wiping?

"Honey can you come proof read something for me?"
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

We have bumps printed on rouble notes for the blind (they are quite palpable), and every denomination has its own colour.
                              I actually hate euro note sizes. They are too wide and don't align nicely.
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                                How do you know how much to pay in the first place Lots of scams involve cashiers overcharging - or undercharging, depending on the register setup - to get cash they can take without being caught. They usually work very well until noticed through other means than the customer noticing...
                                Like a forensic accountant?
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X