X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Makes Ultimate Sacrifice for Iraq War

Bush: I quit golf over Iraq war

2 hours, 54 minutes ago

US President George W. Bush said in an interview out Tuesday that he quit playing golf in 2003 out of respect for the families of US soldiers killed in the conflict in Iraq, now in its sixth year.

"I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal," he said in an interview for Yahoo! News and Politico magazine.

"I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander-in-chief playing golf," he said. "I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them."

The US president traced his decision to the August 19, 2003 bombing of UN headquarters in Baghdad, which killed the world body's top official in Iraq, Sergio Vieira de Mello.

"I remember when de Mello, who was at the UN, got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life. And I was playing golf -- I think I was in central Texas -- and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it's just not worth it anymore to do," said Bush.

Bush's last round of golf as president dates back to October 13, 2003, according to meticulous records kept by CBS news.

On the day of the bombing two months earlier, he had cut short his golf game at the 12th hole and returned to his ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080513...f_080513212030;_ylt=A9G_R3I4EypIsbkAjxFX6GMA
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

You don't even realize how stupid you just made yourself. I feel so sorry for you. You're so stupid it it hurts.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If only he had just played golf his whole presidency... and nothing else...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          You don't even realize how stupid you just made yourself. I feel so sorry for you. You're so stupid it it hurts.
          Show some love Slowwy. I haven't joined in an anti-Texas thread in a long time.

Comment

With all due respect to your not posting anti-Texas threads, of which people can feel free to do so, because frankly I don't give a crap any more, finally; the quotes are irrelevant to each other.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I liked Oerdin's thread title -- it's very fitting, for our president.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The US president traced his decision to the August 19, 2003 bombing of UN headquarters in Baghdad, which killed the world body's top official in Iraq, Sergio Vieira de Mello.

"I remember when de Mello, who was at the UN, got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life. And I was playing golf -- I think I was in central Texas -- and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it's just not worth it anymore to do," said Bush.

Bush's last round of golf as president dates back to October 13, 2003, according to meticulous records kept by CBS news.
                I like the fact that his brain can make a decision in August, and it takes two months for his body to respond. Was he sleep-golfing?
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

"got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life"

Arrr... ?
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

yes, it's a custom to get killed when a murderer takes your good man's life

what's your problem Tattila?
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I thought at first this had to be the Onion...

I like the fact that his brain can make a decision in August, and it takes two months for his body to respond. Was he sleep-golfing?

It explains the last 8 years very well...
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I'm disappointed. I thought Bush would be telling his twins to enlist and volunteer for duty in Iraq. If it's such an important battlefront in such an important war, you'd think Bush would want his kids to take part in it.

Comment

Ummmm, what was the last president to go to war with the troops? Exactly.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            I'm disappointed. I thought Bush would be telling his twins to enlist and volunteer for duty in Iraq. If it's such an important battlefront in such an important war, you'd think Bush would want his kids to take part in it.
                            Are you kidding? That might be dangerous and it would interfere with their drinking and partying schedule.

My experience with the military is around a quarter are there just out of patriotism (they have the money & education to do well in other jobs but choose the military out of patriotism), maybe 10% because they want education benefits (but those benefits aren't that good, while the rest are mostly there because they have to be there. That last group is mostly from small towns in the middle of no where, they knew they'd never go to college, and there weren't any decent jobs where they lived so they joined the military.
                            Last edited by Dinner; May 14, 2008, 15:33.

Comment

Which one were you?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X